Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West’s ‘The Life of Pablo’ on Streaming Services Beside TIDAL

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. CMilliken

Trusted

Remember when he said, "My album will never never never be on Apple. And it will never be for sale... You can only get it on Tidal."? Guess money talks.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Nah I don't think it's just "money talks," I mean many of us were saying that even after he posted that tweet, that it was going to be on these services. You can't take Kanye's twitter as gospel, you just can't. He posts stream of consciousness stuff, not business decisions that are vetted out over a period of time

bobby_runs, Toner and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  4. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

Guess he needed more money. Smart choice. Now I can listen to it on Apple Music.

5. Sander

kflkmflkm

So how much has it changed since the original release ? is it worth re-visiting now ?

6. strangeterrain

Regular

I don't recall who tweeted this, but whoever it was discussed the fact that Universal Music Group never agreed to a Tidal-exclusive release, but because Kanye hadn't actually "finished" the album and was still making changes, they were OK with it for the time being.

7. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

this is a situation where the old site still being live would've been helpful. in the last news post, someone posted a list of changes that a reddit thread had compiled (not sure which). it seemed like there were a bunch of changes, but not much as major as the changes to "wolves." i haven't gotten a chance to listen yet, but i imagine it's worth hearing.

8. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Finally listened to it now that it was easy to get to and listen to... Is it bad that the only song I wanna go back and listen to is I Love Kanye...

9. backbynewyears

This is a different list, but it seems to all to be right.
    • ULB: The choir is mixed better. Everyone's vocals except Chance have a lot more reverb. New Chance line "No one can judge"

• FSMH1: Background vocals at the end of Kanye's verse and a little on the hook. The snare isn't as loud as the original release. Beat is a lot more clear.

• FSMH2: Way more full. fuck. Everything is a lot more prevalent. This is such a good mix.

• Famous: Swizz's adlibs on the bam bam outro aren't as loud and they echo more.

• Feedback: It's shorter. Kanye's vocals are more balanced with the beat now. The bass is also a lot more mixed. Beat is a lot more different in general.

• Low Lights: Reverb and echos? I don't see that much of a difference.

• Highlights: Vocal's now sit behind the beat. Thugs vocals are a lot more clear and less harsh.

• freestyle 4 was changed at 0:45 (and each time this pops up) and at 1:38 there's a new sound. - r/jewishbrick

• I love Kanye: Noticably louder?

• Waves: Kanye's first verse is rerecorded. Lots more echos. The snare doesn't make you deaf anymore! Thank you Kanye.

• FML: Vocal's are more mixed. They sit on top of the beat now. Background vocals added.

• Real Friends: No change

• Wolves: No change (Let's hope he removes those off-beat drums in 1.3)

• Frank's track: No change

• 30 Hours: The shout out/adlib outro isn't in time with the beat like it is in the original. I don't know how no one on Kanye's team noticed. He added the pause from the soundcloud version for the Victoria's Secret line.

• NMPILA: Transition to Facts is smooth. Not as jarring as it was before.

• Facts: Piano line from MSG is back but is barely noticiable. Synths are a lot louder.

• Fade: Way more minimal. The bass line is back too. More like the Yeezys SZN 2 performance. Doesn't have all the cool sounds from the previous album version and the transitions aren't as clean as before IMO. It actually ends with an outro instead of cutting off abruptly though.

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

The changes are subtle, but noticeable. I think I prefer the older version more overall, but probably just because I got used to the songs sounding that way.

11. DeeZee

I just hope that this doesn't become a trend. Early access games are bad enough, I don't want music to go in the same direction. Release it when it's finished, please! :)

12. zachff

deadformat.net/collection/zachff Prestigious

Thank you for this.

13. zachff

deadformat.net/collection/zachff Prestigious

There's something to be said for just the interesting nature of hearing these songs evolve but I'm on board with you. I found it more of a chore than anything to try to keep up with all the new versions and song breaks etc.

14. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Wolves is so much better with the Sia part included.

For the most part I prefer the changes to the original release.

15. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Finally gonna check this out

16. strangeterrain

Regular

You may not get your wish. This is a quote from a recent NYT article:

Def Jam, Mr. West’s label and a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, said in a statement: “In the months to come, Kanye will release new updates, new versions and new iterations of the album,” calling it a “continuous process.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/02/arts/music/kanye-west-life-pablo-tidal-streams.html

17. DeeZee

Hopefully he changes his mind, which he's known to do. People will get tired of hearing the same songs with tiny changes. It's a pointless endeavor, music should be a snapshot in time.

18. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

That's gonna be so annoying. I doubt he'll keep that up

19. Tuff-Guzman15

I actually listened to this today and I gotta say I absolutely love it. I am a gigantic Kanye fan boy though so my opinion shouldn't hold much way to those who are interested in listening and want an unbiased opinion. Wolves is such a jam.

20. CheapPop

Regular

Highly doubt he keeps updating this album, especially if he's making another album this year (which is still a long shot IMO).

The changes are cool, but I'm kind of used to the original versions by now. But I'm just glad to finally have it on Spotify.

21. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I'm glad I can have it without having to use Tidal. It was really annoying to use it for one album and nothing else because the UI is a load of butts.

22. nevecast

I think it's an idea that actually works quite well on streaming services. Keeps the hardcore fans engaged, doesn't make much of a difference at all to the casual listener. Not sure how I feel about dishing $20 out on his website though for a work in progress, unless he's promising free updates as they come in.

23. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I would pay the 20 if it meant I had access to the older versions at my leisure.

24. nevecast

That would be cool. Either way, I think it's a cool way to keep fans engaged, and an interesting take on possibilities within the industry.