Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West’s ‘The Life Of Pablo’ May Hit #1 With Virtually Zero Sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Chris DeVille, writing for Stereogum, looks at how Kanye West‘s The Life of Pablo may be the first number one album with practically zero actual “sales.”

Pablo still isn’t on sale anywhere besides Kanye’s site, and even if Tidal reported the limited number of Tidal TLOP purchases to Nielsen SoundScan, those sales happened weeks ago. But HITS Daily Double and @chartnews report that the album is projected to accumulate about 60,000 equivalent units based almost entirely on TEA and SEA and will likely ascend to #1 on the Billboard 200 next week.

The post Kanye West’s ‘The Life Of Pablo’ May Hit #1 With Virtually Zero Sales appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

not surprised haha

3. tigereatsapple

...and you wonder why he's asking for money

4. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Is the "1500 streams = 1 purchase" completely arbitrary?

5. younglikeme

ii // YLM

This can be a good thing though, no? The idea that someone with no means of creating a physical record or shipping it to stores can now look at an example of being #1 with no physical release is pretty cool, I think, even if that example is arguable the largest solo star in the world so not exactly apples & oranges but still... haha

alexmacwilliam and Jason Tate like this.
  6. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

It's the same thing that Radiohead did. They used their position to change the game. Most of the time when one person does something for the first time, then other people are able to do it. It's that threshold of "now this thing is possible". I believe we will see many more artists go #1 on streaming. He opened a door. Kanye's been doing that since day one.

younglikeme likes this.
  7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This might be my favorite Kanye album. Really.

alexmacwilliam likes this.
  8. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I might be right there with you.

9. peoplearepoison

Honestly, it's really good Graduation > CD > TLOP > Yeezus > MBDTF > 808 > LR

10. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Finally got to hear it now that it's on Apple Music.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. peoplearepoison

Agreed on the vinyl situation

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

13. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Well, yeah...but I meant a reasonable way, preferably a physical copy.

14. Eric

Regular

This ranking is...different haha. I'm but real familiar with CD or LR but it's weird to see MBDTF so low here. Seems like most people agree that it's his best

15. peoplearepoison

I think the impact that that album made on hip hop as a whole is why that album is important. I think the album itself is really good, but songs like "Gorgeous", "Hell Of A Life", "Blame Game" are not my favorite. Graduation made me fall in love with hip hop, CD was the first rap CD I ever bought. I think Yeezus is a masterpiece and right now I really fuck with TLOP. I don't go back to MBDTF as much as the other 3

16. polyfilla

who can never be sure

Looking forward to a vinyl release - but I don't anticipate it happening for quite some time if this is going to be the "living, breathing" project Kanye says it is.

I'm so fascinated with the idea of a constant work in progress - just that concept alone makes TLOP an AOTY contender for me. Reminds me of Imogen Heap's "The Listening Chair" - a song she plans to update with an additional minute of material every 7 years until the day she dies: