Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kacey Musgraves - Star Crossed (September 10, 2021) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 23, 2021.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

site is beyond saving

3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

This is me. I'm fine with albums having a visual representation, but I usually don't click with that. The anime for Sturgill's last album is a good example of that. I don't have Paramount+ and don't care enough about this to pay for a subscription/free trial to watch.

OotyPa likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I think, ideally, a visual component should add to the work, provide context, make an album feel more like an “experience” than a project. That said, whatever the reason is, I just don’t care enough about the visuals with a lot of the music I love. Even my favorite artists’ music videos, I just barely engage with, if at all. Maybe I’m weird but whatever. I’m cool with Kacey trying out a visual component but I hope the album’s songs stand strong on their own—and I’m pretty sure it will be amazing, tbh!

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  5. hollowmines

Regular

I would be fine w/ visual albums if they didn't generally boil down to being a pointlessly literal visual counterpoint for the lyrics, which is what they are the vast majority of the time (with one notable exception, yes). potentially interesting form, mostly horrible execution.

anyway I hope the album will be good

OotyPa likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

But, like, you can just never watch it. Hell, I WANT to see the one for Dirty Computer and keep failing to get around to it.

Matt Chylak, sophos34, SpyKi and 3 others like this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I was just about to bring up Dirty Computer. I watched that one like 5 times and it absolutely added to the experience of the album for me.

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

There is really no reason to suspect that the songs wouldn’t stand on their own. She’s always been a songwriter first and foremost.

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The visual component of the album is part of her artistic vision and I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss that when, like mentioned above, you can just not watch it.

10. cshadows2887

This thread is a great example of why I don’t listen to advance songs.

- If you don’t care for it, maybe you stick with that opinion and now you’re going into the album with 3 weeks of negative mindset.

-Maybe you don’t care for it because you can’t appreciate its proper context, and that’s also going to color how you listen for the first time.

-Or maybe you love it, and now you’re deprived of having the opening track blow you away when you press play.

I don’t need to have an instant Take that badly.

Craig Manning and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

InstantTakes.fm

12. Micah511

Can you help me understand the difference between dismissing the visual component and not watching it? Because this reads like a contradictory statement to me.

Matthewconte likes this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

theres nothing wrong with listening to an advance release and liking it, or not liking it, but it just ends up being the same dumb ass debates in every album thread lol

"its great!!!! AOTY!!!!"
    "its ok"
    "cant imagine not liking this"
    "its just not for me"
    "cant believe there are people who dont like this???????"

ctschwink, GrantCloud and OotyPa like this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

It’s wild how users here will get on the defensive so easily without slightest provocation. Like some of us here are just discussing visual albums as a concept, not even directly related to Kacey’s, and y’all just want to shut that conversation down. People should be able to share their ideas.

Crisp X likes this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

just wait until she releases 2 more tracks and people start ranking them and them arguing about their rankings of pre-release tracks

jorbjorb, GrantCloud, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  16. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

And the day the album releases and people immediately need to rank it with the rest of her albums

17. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

hey it could be worse, at least people aren't writing essays about j*ck ant*noff in here

18. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

j*ck ant*noff has actually ghost written every kacey song ever made…

Matt and GrantCloud like this.
  19. cshadows2887

To be fair, I’m not critiquing people for listening. Just preaching my gospel of how much happier I am as a music fan since I stopped. People get themselves so damn unhappy

Sean Murphy likes this.
  20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

im excited to hear new music from this artist and see what type of other things accompany it !

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

about time we start ranking her albums now murph

jorbjorb and Sean Murphy like this.
  22. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Don’t forget the “I must now rank all the songs on this album” moment.

23. Micah511

On one hand, yeah, instant reactions usually don't lend to the most thoughtful discussion, but heck, this is a forum for talking about music...

24. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

FTFY

25. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I'm fine with what's posted in here, it's the snarky twitter posts that make my roll my eyes. the snarky twitter music community sucks lol

cshadows2887 likes this.