Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

K-Pop (The Comeback Thread) Genre • Page 25

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by StepsInADance, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I guess I'm seeing Tiffany Young next week

2. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

thats awesome! i wonder if she plays any of her music from her sm solo album.

really liked some of the new wayv stuff (the chinese unit of nct) and the txt album has some good tracks though im lukewarm on the single.

really worried about this izone stuff, seems like theyll have to disband and we might never get the album that was supposed to be coming this week.

excited for new exo though.

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah she did all of the recent English stuff, most of the songs from the SM solo, she did "Run Devil Run", and a couple covers of pop songs ("Wrecking Ball", "In My Blood")

She was great, it was a fun show

4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

obsessed with this song

5. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

6. StepsInADance

i cant believe this is happening again. hara dealt with so much all stemming from misfortunes that were the fault of a scumbag abussive ex who tried his best to drag her name through the ground. i hoped she was feeling better when she quickly returned to music and seemed to be well received in japan but it seems her fight wasnt over. may she rest in peace and my condolences to her family and friends. she was one of the greats and will always be in the hearts of her fans. i will always remember her amazing talent and endless charm, gone way too soon.

7. StepsInADance

so of course red velvet announces something new before the end of the year putting my singles list on hold til then. gonna work on my b-sides list in the meantime i guess.

8. StepsInADance

finally finished my b-sides list. this is something id been wanting to do for a while since every year theres always an assortment of b-sides i really enjoy that fall by the wayside because the rest of the album leaves no impression. i figured it would too difficult a task to rank them so here are my 50 favorite k-pop b-sides in alphabetical order and limited to 3 songs per artist.

apink - enough
    bakehyun - ice queen
    boa - butterfly
    boa - think about you
    dia - crescendo
    dreamcatcher - diamond
    everglow - moon
    exid - we are...
    exo - groove
    exo - baby you are
    exo - non stop
    (g)-idle - whats your name
    gfriend - show up
    gfriend - hope
    gfriend - wish
    got7 - pray
    got7 - run away
    han yohan - 12:00 (feat. swings and kim seungmin)
    itzy - it'z summer
    jus2 - senses
    jus2 - love talk
    lee hi - 20min
    loona - colors
    loona - satellite
    loona - where you at
    monsta x - play it cool (feat. steve aoki)
    nct 127 - highway to heaven
    nct 127 - fool
    nuest - different
    ph-1 - dirty nikes
    red velvet - sunny side up!
    red velvet - lp
    rocket punch - favorite
    stray kids - 19
    superm - 2 fast
    taemin - artistic groove
    txt - blue orangeade
    txt - roller coaster
    trei - deep
    twice - get loud
    twice - trick it
    twice - love foolish
    wayv - king of hearts
    winner - mola
    wjsn - oh my summer
    wjsn - luckitty cat
    wjsn - ww
    x1 - like always
    yunhway - polaroid
    yunhway - what do you know about me

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  9. nomoretape

Blackpink is the revolution

easily top 5

10. StepsInADance Dec 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 29, 2019)
    StepsInADance

my year in review:

this year was an interesting one for kpop. twice had an amazing year musically releasing their best work yet reclaiming their place as the top girl group. loona who i expected to dominate seemed mostly absent and seems to have run out of money (!!!) while still retaining their memedom. america became a viable market and sort of saved nct and monsta x's reputations. bts was on snl and blackpink was in coachella and made me rethink my biases against american ventures. the survival show model which had dominated the industry for almost 5 years broke completely. and my brother's growing interest in korean music led me to check out a lot more korean rap, which as expected has a lot of unispired imitators but a good amount of artists who are carving their own path in interesting ways (second language by xxx, a korean hip hop record that is as unclassifiable as it gets was one of my favorite releases of the year). the idol market seemed to have suffered from oversaturation but with the survival show process being done can new idol groups star to find footing? or will sm's reported new groups just simply mark the continued dominance of the same 3-4 companies? does becoming an exo or a twice even matter anymore with kpop becoming global and niche fanbases being enough to keep you alive?

it was also a year of refelection on the mental health issues of idols, which was unfortunately marked by the tragic passing of sulli and hara, two idols whose influence will never be forgotten, but compouned by reports of other idols suffering from severe anxiety most characterized by myoui mina stepping away from twice to deal with these issues. as fans try to reconcile their fanaticsm with these issues, fingers are being pointed at korean social media networks that have allowed for hate speech to go uncontrolled, the fight for their reformation has only just begun.

it was also a year in which the korean public became aware of the massive abuses of power by men in power, that have been ongoing and have been systematically protected, with seungri's party lifestyle, which had long been protected as just boys being boys, being revealed to include much more sinister things and yg's coverup being apparent. jung joon young's boys club was found to have commited some horrid crimes against women, and produce 101's producer was found to have accepted sexual favors for influence in his shows. its hard to say what the end game is here, seungri and his yg cohorts walk free, while other like jung joon young will serve prison sentences.

a lot of these questions and issues will carry over into the new year and decade, and with kpop moving as quickly as it does the next decade will bring as many new topics and concerns as this one did. but for now lets savor the great music 2019 gave us, enough with my ramblings and without further ado here are my top 50 singles of the year.

1. twice - feel special
    2. punchnello - blue hawaii (feat. crush & penomeco)
    3. nct 127 - superhuman
    4. iz*one - violeta
    5. twice - fancy
    6. 2s - modelwaking (feat. wonstein, choi lb, & dsel)
    7. wjsn - la la love
    8. bewhy - korea
    9. sunmi - noir
    10. itzy - dalla dalla
    11. choi lb - orientation
    12. cherry bullet - q&a
    13. bts - boy with luv (feat. halsey)
    14. jus2 - focus on me
    15. ccola - war (feat. junggigo)
    16. geegooin - mudslinging (feat. jay park)
    17. ab6ix - breathe
    18. rocket punch - bim bam bum
    19. boa - feedback
    20. loona - butterfly
    21. jjangyou - 115
    22. punchnello - magma (feat. hangzoo & bewhy)
    23. yukika - neon
    24. takuwa - bibbidi bobbidi boo (feat. han yohan)
    25. kid milli - app (feat. loopy)
    26. yourbeagle - dream (feat. indego aid)
    27. bvndit - dumb
    28. reddy - dress code
    29. superm - jopping
    30. chungha - gotta go
    31. red velvet - umpah umpah
    32. loco - tangled up (feat. ph-1)
    33. wayv - moonwalk
    34. zico - daredevil (feat. jvcki wai & yumdda)
    35. itzy - icy
    36. onf - we must love
    37. mba - trap house
    38. sunmi - la la lay
    39. produce x 101 - x1-ma
    40. han yohan - dance (feat. giriboy)
    41. red velvet - psycho
    42. dia - woowa
    43. jjangyou and yunhway - route 101
    44. lee hi - no one (feat. b.i)
    45. txt - crown
    46. weki meki - picky picky
    47. gfriend - fever
    48. changmo, hash swan, ash island, keem hyoueun, leellamarz, & the quiett - beer
    49. apink - %%
    50. everglow - bon bon chocolat

i am also working on my decade list but that will take some time.

nomoretape likes this.
  11. This was the worst year since I started getting into Kpop (2013), the post above covered it all so I don't need to explain why. But damn.... this industry needs a complete rebuild

12. emojedi

Trusted

so BigBang is on Coachella. i think i might actually die if they tour again. MADE tour is still the best show i've ever been to.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. StepsInADance

im really hoping the big bang at coachella thing turns into a tour. that show would be too much fun.

the new zico song is the big hit in korea atm and im not too happy to say i love it

also new loona next week. finally

Petit nain des Îles and ChaseTx like this.

15. Oliver Heldens and

SOPHIE???????????

*convulses*

ChiliTacos and StepsInADance like this.
  16. StepsInADance

lol i kept looking for her name and couldnt find it and then realized i had to open the picture. but thats so amazing, album is gonna be banging

17. nomoretape

18. StepsInADance

sort of dissapointed in the new itzy and the new nct 127. i did really like the loona album, and the single is my jam even if it sounds like its gonna turn into dalla dalla at any moment.

19. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

hey, i didn't know there was a kpop thread! let alone the fact that it's been here since 2016, lol

i've been getting into kpop/idol music the past year or so. i really dove in when i saw BTS on SNL, their Map of the Soul: Persona record really took me by surprise
    i've also got into Blackpink, i like the few songs i've heard from Loona, and i just listened to NCT 127 for the first time today, "Kick It" has been stuck in my head all day

StepsInADance likes this.
  20. StepsInADance

not too many things have wowed me this year but theres been a few things ive been enjoying.

how is apink still putting out bangers. talk about longevity. i was actually thinking about how of all the girl groups that were around when i first got into kpop (2011-2013 more or less) the only one thats still around is apink.

i really like the new oh my girl, its been a big hit in korea which is a pretty big surprise because i had really lost out hope that they would ever really break through in a bigger way.

one of korea's biggest rap labels signed this girl devita and apparently it was a big deal cause they media blasted that hard, but her single is pretty phenomenal.

i wasnt a huge fan of nct's "kick it" (its is incredibly infectious though, that riff is always stuck in my head), but i though their repackage single "punch" was a step up. chungha's new one was very good too. and loona has been in constant rotation.

and new twice next week!

popo likes this.
  21. I don't check this thread anymore compared to the ap.net days but don't hesitate to ask for recommendations

22. nomoretape

michael_gatto and AndrewSoup like this.
  23. nomoretape

michael_gatto likes this.
  24. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

michael_gatto likes this.
  25. It's... bad and recycled and etc. They deserve so much better, like another producer/songwriter to begin with. Hoping the rest of the album will be better.

popo and K0ta like this.