Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

K-Pop (The Comeback Thread) Genre • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by StepsInADance, Mar 31, 2016.

1. nomoretape

Blackpink is the revolution

2019 starting out strong!

2. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

just bought tickets to see red velvet, soooo hyped. first time seeing a gg and its my favorite one.

also that chungha song is pretty dope, shes been so consistent.

3. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

So jealous!! I was really hoping to go, but I just can't swing the price they're asking. :(

4. La Vie En Rose was the best song of 2018 or is it just me? Or was it Egoist? Hmmmm

5. StepsInADance

yeah it was kind of steep and i was already thinking i wouldnt go, but work has been treating me well lately and i knew that if i missed out on it id regret it forever so i decided to treat myself.

ikanacanyon, K0ta and nomemorial like this.
  6. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Good on you!! Have a blast!!

7. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

She's so powerful. She blew me away Kcon LA.

Ahh I am so jealous, my friend tried to get them for us but even though she was in queue immediately she didn't get them (NJ). We are hoping for resale.

ikanacanyon likes this.
  8. K0ta

*insert fainting gif here*

9. They better let them release some...

NEW songs before the tour starts!

K0ta likes this.
  10. StepsInADance

i wouldnt hold my breath for new songs tbh, maybe we'll get the lisa solo song in time for it. id be down to see them depending on ticket prices (and wether they actually come here) if theyre doing the american airlines arena it could be plausible for me to go, g-dragon played there and tickets weren't that expensive since its a huge venue so theres a lot of availability, lots of tickets dont get sold. anyways on to the new stuff

new wjsn is really good, love how consistent theyve become

new loona teaser, supposedly coming on the 31st

and first teaser for the new jyp gg, itzy.

K0ta likes this.
  11. Bop alert

StepsInADance and K0ta like this.
  12. K0ta

I pray my Queen gets this solo, would absolutely slay.

I have only been into k-pop about a year, so my knowledge is limited, but do you think peak G-Dragon had the same reach over here than what Blackpink is gaining? I know he's an absolute behemoth in the industry but it seems like the west is more "woke" to k-pop, even in the time I have become a fan. Seems like k-pop is really moving more "mainstream" in America. My friend is almost singlehandedly responsible for bringing k-pop albums to Newbury Comics stores, where they have become huge chunks of revenue streams in the past 6 months, but she had to convince a lot of people to buy into the hype. Even 6 months ago it seemed like a gamble, where now we have Blackpink at Coachella??

I have nothing to compare Blackpink against so I am wondering what success in America/the west looks like now compared to when G-Dragon was touring.

StepsInADance likes this.
  13. StepsInADance Jan 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2019)
    StepsInADance

well i mean mostly that selling out an arena like the amrican airlines arena in a market like miami's is not really going to be an easy task for any kpop group. hell ive seen kanye and ariana grande there before and it was definitely not sold out for either time and those two are much more relevant with south florida audiences than blackpink. blackpink may have their name breaking into the mainstream a bit more but ultimately idk many people who are familiar with them beyond having heard of their name due to the general hype around them (which is why i think their coachella addition is the perfect venue for them). the majority of the people who would go to the concert here are really devoted fans who are also most likely g-dragon and/or big bang fans so i think theres gonna be a good overlap in the audience here which is why i think the g-dragon show is a relevant indicator. theres a reason most kpop acts that come down here opt for smaller venues, the south florida market is simply not as kind to them as one in la or ny would be. i would definitely agree that blackpink right now would be a bigger draw than g-dragon (though i would defnintely not underestimate how much power him and big bang still have over the fandom) and they could get a sizeable attendance number but if theyre gonna go ahead and charge 100+ dollars for tickets i dont see how they get anything more than just their hardcore fanabase who is probablu into kpop from outside the general bts/blackpink hype right now.

at the same time having been into kpop for like 8 years now im still very very skeptical about any group claiming to go mainstream here, ive just way too many artists attempt to make the move and fail miserably. aside from bts im not too sure about how real the success has really been over here, and even with bts i think its alot more niche than many fans would let on.

also in regards to the solo song, yg did say that he planned on doing solo songs for every member but he changes his plans so often and he might have just been saying that to get rid of the criticsm that he cares more about jennie than the group as a whole, but id be so excited for a lisa solo, shes definitely my fave.

14. StepsInADance

wow, so good. really did not expect much from this group but thats a really solid single.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.

15. New Brown Eyed Girls album coming out this year!

16. K0ta

Thank you for the input, I am from NY so I think my perception is a little colored by that. The concerts around here (like Red Velvet in NJ most recently) sell out in seconds. The BTS concert was massive last year. BTS might be their own thing as far as breaking into the mainstream, but I feel like Blackpink has a lot going for them that could make them work for American audiences. I am so curious to see the reception at Coachella, they're powerful and fierce as hell. I think in terms of what could work in the "mainstream" here in America, that the Red Velvet Japan wants to see (Cookie Jar), for instance, would work a lot worse than the Red Velvet the west would like better (Bad Boy), and Blackpink definitely has that edgy zing to them, even cursing in a few songs which we don't view as so controversial over here. I'm just thinking of mainstream pop here and we love powerful women like Beyonce, Rihanna, etc and I see BP more in line with them.

I gotta be honest, I have been a music fan most of my life but my experience in the music industry here makes me scratch my head at the way they do things in Korea. I always question my friend who has been into Kpop since the 2000's about why they do this and that, like why has BP been around doing nothing practically for like 2-3 years? And why did BP release a massive album over the summer and then....nothing? A couple of solos? I have bought Square Up 3x I would buy any number of repackages. Then you have my other faves EXO at SM release repackage after repackage. Like what is the logic?

Basically there is a lot I still don't understand haha.

17. StepsInADance

i dont wanna make it seem like theres not audience here, the red velvet show here did sell out at a pretty nice venue, but something tells me blackpink would instead opt for the largest venue available. but ultimately i think if theyre going for exorbitant tickets prices itll hurt them more than anything.

in regards to the industry, ive always found this aspect of kpop to be fascinating since these companies operate within certain guidelines so its easy to create predictions on their next moves and such. that being said yg has always been the black sheep of that system. its hard to really say why exactly they do things the way they do, but their lack of frequent promotions for their artists has been a source of grief for their fans for many years now. i have a couple of theories if youre interested.

1) they want to cultivate an image as being more "real" than the other companies. they always made sure to push the narrative that a lot of their artists are self-produced and theres some articles out there of yg talking about how many songs he's rejected by his artists and has made a point to prop up how rigorous his standards are, which i think is to create a differentiating factor between his groups and other groups. he's eased up on it a bit recently (ikon had a bunch of comebacks last year and winner had 2 with one supposedly happening next month) but for some reason blackpink continues to suffer from this.

2) yg has a tendency to want to do many things at once which causes a lot of them to fail by the wayside. yg is always coming out with these plans that you know wont happen anytime soon. he did mix nine which went nowhere, blackpink's debut was teased for like 4 years before it actually happened (they used to be called pink punk) and when they did debut he said they were coming with 8 songs which obviously didnt happen,and he's planning on debuting his new boy group soon and is already talking about a show for his new girl group. it's just so much stuff he's doing at once that some things have to suffer, and despite the lack of releases blackpink continues to do well and get bigger so he seems to think he can shift focus away from them without risking their downfall, at the expense of theri fanbase.

3) his main focus with blackpink is to make money in overseas markets (japan and america). rather than have them spend their time in korea recording and releasing music that they'll basically be forced to promote there for a decent period of time (or risk koreans feeling slighted by their absence in korea) he'd rather have them touring and doing concerts where he continues to make them bigger and makes more money than if he put out albums (its tough to make lots of money through girl group physical album sales).

thats more or less what i think is going on with yg and blackpink.

K0ta likes this.
  18. StepsInADance

sunmi is doing a na tour if anyone is interested
    [​IMG]

Petit nain des Îles and popo like this.
  19. K0ta

i CAN'T BREATHE

20. nomoretape

Blackpink is the revolution

from my understanding this is just a prerelease song right?

21. StepsInADance

i dont believe so, this is the actual debut. the other song thats coming with the release of the single on tuesday is just a b-side.

22. K0ta

IT'S HAPPENING EVERYBODY STAY CALM

StepsInADance and nomemorial like this.
  23. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shittttt

K0ta likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think I'm going to do the Jersey date.

K0ta likes this.
  25. K0ta

See you there!

Henry likes this.