Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Vernon on Eminem Collaboration: “Not a Fan of the Message” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2018.

1. chilllll

Regular

i was replying to a specific comment but forgot to quote it.
    seems random as fuck now lol

2. chilllll

Regular

well first off i would like to apologize for offending you- it was never my intention to bring you emotional distress by the words im typing. im simply trying to share my opinion and something that i noticed. im not sure if you arw aware of who odd future is or tyler the creator but they used the same grotesque lyrics as part of their 'brand'.

i think you trying to attack me personally just shows that you actually dont know anything about rap music.
    if you didnt get offended as easily maybe you could understand things easier.

3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Did you even read their post

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Good rule.

Essie and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  5. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Don't engage with the troll, y'all

6. You should hang out in the forums, that's all I'm gonna say.

jorbjorb likes this.
  7. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

You not agreeing with my really bad take on eminem must mean you know nothing about rap music. That’s some solid troll shit.

Really though, why do people have to get less offended by words that you don’t personally find offensive (which is a privilege you have that others don’t)?

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'm also so sick of this fake nostalgia nonsense I hear all of the time from people (like the guy in this thread) advocating against "political correctness", saying that millennials and kids are too soft, and back in their day everyone was tougher and didn't care so much about the words said.
    A few thoughts:
    1) I've also heard for my lifetime that us millennials don't care about manners, being polite or respecting elders, and yet here we also are being criticized for not accepting racist and bigoted language. Hypocrisy much?
    2) Offensive language (even simple swearing) of any kind wasn't accepted in music, television or from public figures throughout this magical, imaginary time people are eluding to, so no, it wasn't acceptable behaviour, but instead was done in the privacy of racist, intolerant homes and workplaces.
    3) And related to #2, there wasn't social media, and all of these others means of public communication that celebrities continue to get busted for demonstrating their bigotry on. People now have a platform never available before, and that should come with accountability.

Ultimately, stop trying to justify racism, bigotry and other discrimination by telling me that kids today are too soft, and back in the day everyone was better off - it's a complete sham.

9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I just wanna make 100% sure i am following your logic.

So - people that get offended by harmful and hateful speech (whether it directly applies or pertains to them or not) should blame, their parents(?????) for not raising them to be tougher, rather than blame the actual abusers for.......abusing in the first place?

I need to be sure that that is actually what you are trying to say here

Arry and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  11. I don't think he clearly thought it through. I still have no idea what point he was trying to make and how it was in any way related to the issues we have with Eminem's lyrics.

12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Level 1: teach your kid not to get offended (wot?)
    Level 2: teach your kid not to say offensive and hurtful shit
    Level 100: don’t be a shitty person and be accountable for your own words and actions.

13. currytheword

Trusted

14. chilllll

Regular

yea i mean i was replying to a specific comment that was posted earlier on this thread and forgot to attach the quote so you guys misinterpreted me and are making a bunch of accusations. i dont mean to troll or start fights.
    i dont wanna argue- i agree with you guys.
    no hate speech should be used!
    the whole thing i was talking about with parents and kids growing up was a side note related to the other post that i was replying to....
    but none of this would even be discussed if hate speech wasnt used... so that is the problem!

15. chilllll

Regular

no thats not what im saying that sounds ridiculous.
    no hate speech should be tolerated. i dont know how you thought thats what i meant but i guess i really fucked up my wording cause a lotta people here are convinced of that.
    i was replying to a specfic comment and i forgot to attach the quote.

the only reason i commented in the beginning was i thought the backlash em is having right now is like the backlash tyler had when he put out songs about rape and used a ton of homophobic phrases...
    i agree with all you guys on the fact that hate speech is not free speech and shouldnt be tolerated in any sense.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Okay but think of it like this.

Eminem was also using homophobic phrases and rape fantasies in his raps when he was in his early 20s

Eminem is now 45 and still rapping about them

Tyler is still in his 20s and is not