Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Vernon on Eminem Collaboration: “Not a Fan of the Message” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2018.

1. palewhiteboy88

Regular Supporter

Lol no one seems to have an answer

Analog Drummer and Serenity Now like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To get it taken down from streaming, id assume?

3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s funny because killing it can be a term to describe success.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I mean.... It's Eminem like he uses these slurs often so if for some reason I decided I could put that aside and collab with him, I'd definitely make sure I knew the lyrics and content of the song beforehand because again it's Eminem. It feels disingenuous of Justin to act surprised this happened. Like it's one thing to collaborate with an artist who has no history of that and then they do it, like yeah that is genuinely surprising. But with Eminem I feel like you know what you're signing up for and at the least you know it's an extremely large probability that the song is ~problematic in some way so you should probably just not do it, or make sure to get final approval first. Like I'm glad he's resolving it but I am still side eyeing him for even getting into this situation in the first place

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

With the reputation Eminem has I feel like this just isn't a likely scenario at all. People know. They either just don't care or are willing to ignore it. The shock value is partly what has made him so famous. Like his controversy is part of his pop culture impact. The ignorant card doesn't work here. Like I could see it working in your Robin thick example because that was his first sorta big household mainstream hit so he didn't have a big reputation. But it's literally been eminiems brand for decades(? Many years at the least) and everyone knows it.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  6. currytheword

Trusted

I feel like it also should be taken into consideration that while the word was censored always as a part of the track, he also was referencing Tyler, the Creator's own labeling of himself as the word. Context may matter more to some people than others.

7. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

attaching your name to any product that you haven't even seen/heard yet is pretty damn stupid. I never understood this excuse and I feel like i've heard it a lot.

angrycandy likes this.
  8. Hunter Norman

Regular

Exactly. In this day and age, you can easily attach yourself to a product for exposure and rely on the forgiveness and acceptance of your base when you say "sorry, this wasn't my call and I'm retroactively trying to fix it by apologizing"

9. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

No

SamLevi11 and OhTheWater like this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

Sometimes I forget how awful the article discussion section of this website is.

11. Hunter Norman

Regular

How is it awful? There's a discussion taking place, that's what it's for

12. grimis16

Regular

So what's "killing a track"? I think I'm the third person that has asked and I haven't read an answer yet.

13. Rawrz

Regular

Besides that lyric, the song itself is pretty great.

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

that's not how the music industry works at that level unfortunately. its like this. mike will makes beats, he has hundreds and hundreds of beats he sends to multiples artists. justin vernon probably worked with him and mike will came up with a beat around his vocals. i bet justin figured either nothing would come of it or it would land in almost anyone's hands but eminems. mike probably had a session with eminem and played him beats and eminem probably liked that one and picked it. so they probably recorded it and then informed justin sometime down the road most likely it was being used. at that point when justin asks the song not to be used, imo, its on the producer to stop that from happening. so to me this falls on mike will way more than justin vernon.

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

again i would bet good money justin collabed with mike will, not eminem

zmtr likes this.
  16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

mainly because he says it in the tweet

17. Lucas27

Trusted

I was mildly interested in knowing what "killing the track" meant when I first read it. Now that three people have asked, I am very much interested.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Was my proposed answer not acceptable? It seems pretty clear that it means to get the song off streaming.

19. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I’m really not sure what people are so confused about - he is just saying he is going to try and fix the situation

20. chilllll

Regular

can we all observe the irony regarding the uproar... tyler the creator- who ap.net banned for using homophobic slurs- was called a homophobic slur by someone who uses that same slur at least twice per album....
    the same people sticking up for Tyler were mad about Tyler back in 2013... remember tegan and sara?
    point blank- this will always happen.
    people need to stop letting words effect them.
    the parents are to blame.
    if you are a parent and not teaching your child self worth and how to stick up for yourself then you arent suitable to raise one....
    the problem is that the parents have the media babysit their children and not teach them core fundamental values.
    children are very fragile. if they are not built with strength and love they turn into a fragile- vulnerable- toxic person.
    with that being said it doesnt justify em's actions... but alas his actions dont need to be justified... if you are offended dont fuck with him!

21. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Wat

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

dear eminem fans: its possible to recognize eminem may have done something wrong here and still be an eminem fan. i know, sounds crazy, but its true. you really dont have to justify a grown man attacking a much younger man who identifies as not straight using a homophobic slur. you can call it what it is and move on!

23. Jesus, where to even start with that one

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. Lucas27

Trusted

I looked too far into the “I assume?” at the end of your sentence. That is very acceptable. I don’t know why I wanted to know so badly nor why I was so confused.

25. I honestly stopped reading this... post after the third sentence as it already made me uncomfortable.

One thing I have to point out: Tyler is a queer man who was in the closet back when he was being homophobic. Not to mention the obvious internalized homophobia that came with it. It doesn't excuse his past behaviour, but let's not compare him to a straight white 45 years old man who has made "shocking" (= problematic) lyrics a huge part of his brand.

Okay, now I've read the whole thing and just feel grossed out.

What is wrong with you? Don't speak up about subject matters you don't understand.