Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Vernon on Eminem Collaboration: “Not a Fan of the Message”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Justin Vernon has taken to Twitter to address the Eminem song he appears on and its use of a homophobic slur.

Was not in the studio for the Eminem track… came from a session with BJ Burton and Mike Will. Not a fan of the message, it’s tired. Asked them to change the track, wouldn’t do it.

I dunno, if it was me, I’d make sure I knew what my name and voice would appear on before I approved it, and if they wouldn’t change it, I’d tell ‘um to take me off the shitty song.

Was not in the studio for the Eminem track… came from a session with BJ Burton and Mike Will. Not a fan of the message, it’s tired. Asked them to change the track, wouldn’t do it. Thanks for listening to BRM https://t.co/E0wmt732ty

— blobtower (@blobtower) August 31, 2018

2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I’m sure it’s not as simple as “take me off”, contracts are probably involved / who owns the music will play a role. Obviously Justin isn’t stoked his name is on it.

3. If you signed a 'contract' to feature on someone's song and don't have the right to take yourself off after hearing the final product, you have a really bad lawyer.

4. Kennedy

i mean, Justin literally said they tried to get him to change it, but couldnt

5. He seems to be implying they wouldn't change the lyric, not that they wouldn't remove him from the song. You get to sign off on your inclusion on a song or album. Hell, bands in our music scene have that clause in any appearance deal. Features get pulled from songs all the time by the artist or the artist's label.

6. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Do you know if the Patrick Stump version was ever recorded?

supernovagirl likes this.
  7. Pretty sure the hook with Patrick on it exists somewhere.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Song is bad. Lyrics are bad. Good on him for saying something

9. There we go. Told 'ya.

OhTheWater likes this.
  10. Kennedy

"Asked them to change the track, wouldn’t do it... Tho, this is not the time to criticize Youth, it’s the time to listen. To act. It is certainly not the time for slurs. Wish they would have listened when we asked them to change it"

He doesnt really specify that he only tried to get them to change the lyrics. Justin is trying to make a stand. Why assume the worst of him when he is coming out publicly admitting he doesnt like how it was handled / what happened?

11. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Justin is handling this it seems.

I don’t think anyone thinks he knew about or condones the message.

He will learn from this and move on.

12. I was right. He's killing the track. He shoulda done it earlier. Good on him for doing it now.

Kennedy likes this.
  13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s exists, because the joke was there that Ryan should leak it.

supernovagirl and Jason Tate like this.
  14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Sorry, super n00b here. What does “killing the track” mean in real world terms?

15. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

And this is why it's suspect for people that buy in to Eminem's out spoken month against Trump and his policies...he's consistently used gay slurs, in an aggressive manner, same toward women and other groups. He tried using his platform for good, and it seemed as though he was accepting a pivot in his maturity, but the use of this type of slur just shows nothing has changed.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

subbing this

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol Twitter is awful. My mans had a year long break from the site then came back for this

18. zmtr

Trusted

Jesus I just need to get off the web for the rest of the day

19. somethingwitty

Trusted

When Justin says criticizing "Youth" is he referring to Martin Glover aka Youth the producer?

Sorry, haven't heard the actual track or seen the lyrics yet.

20. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

So, as far as I gather, the lyric in question was actually censored in the explicit track, correct?

Edit: Nevermind, yeah it is. I find that really interesting. Maybe that had to do with Justin's distaste for it's inclusion?

21. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

I'd also kill the track just because it's horrible in general.

22. Hunter Norman

Regular

Um, no. The track is great and the lyric has been censored since it was released

23. Jeff Morris

It's dot com!

Echoing Serenity Now: What does “killing the track” mean in real world terms?

Analog Drummer likes this.
  24. Bambros Sep 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 1, 2018)
    Bambros

By this standard of outrage, given Eminem’s long track record of offensive lyrics which are well documented and a big reason Em rose to prominence in the first place, wasn’t the “line” crossed when Justin agreed to work with this artist in the first place? Is this outcome really that surprising? Doesn’t Justin’s consent to work with him in the first place tacitly condone Em’s prior offensive lyrics? It just seems less than genuine for Justin to act shocked and appalled by how the track turned out and for his defenders to allow him to play the victim card in this case. He knew full well what he was getting into when he agreed to collaborate with an artist with Eminem’s reputation.

So the impression I get is Justin is just trying to steal an easy headline that will get traction on social media and score some easy morality points when he shouldn’t have worked with Eminem in the first place if wanted to actually take a stand against such slurs. There wouldn’t be a need to “kill a track” or blame a bum lawyer if he didn’t agree to work with a known offensive artist in the first place.

VCargo08, currytheword and ReiAndCoke like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Got a point.

It’s always tricky too when I comes to artiss/bands and lyrics.

Sort of unrelated, but I heard the song Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke at an event. Unedited. Never liked the song so I always had ignored it before, by man those lyrics are suspect. Not sure if he wrote the words or not, but any act associated with him after that song, I kinda just got to wonder i they actually looked at his work or just his degree of fame.

Wonder if Justin saw, oh yeah, I’d be down to work with Eminem. Fame, exposure and so on. And it not until after when you dive in to it that you see there could be some suspect stuff. Hasn’t Justin also worked with Kanye? He’s said some weird hurtful stuff lately too which I believe he’s apologized for. Ed Sheerhan, who seems like a good guy has worked with Eminem.

Maybe we read to much into all of this, or maybe we should be looking closer at this stuff. It’s not a black and white, right or wrong scenario. But, to agree with the point above, do your research artists before guesting.