Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Timberlake to Perform at Super Bowl • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 23, 2017.

1. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

What are you saying? "he knows what he did" like his whole concept and plan from a wardrobe malfunction was to destroy Janet and benefit. The dude was already a star, he was performing during the Super Bowl. That's the most absurd thing I've read yet.

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Yeah, this. It's far from the first time I've heard of it and using the basis that I don't think JT is to blame because I'm fucking white is total bullshit.

Never said that I didn't hear of it, I said I didn't understand where users on here were acting like this was all Jt's fault.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

They're just going after something. There are tons of ways people could have or not have heard about the criticism. Don't pay it any attention.

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Well there's the timing factor of JT being chosen to do the Super Bowl halftime show, which brings up the discussion to relevancy again.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Yeah, people who were not paying much attention to the media within two months of the incident probably haven't heard much criticism until now. Some of it might be due to the fact that Janet was banned from multiple media platforms. She hasn't been able to do much and therefor any incident around her name has been left in the dust. JT playing the halftime show might actually bring it back into mainstream discussion and she could get justice.

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

The quote below makes it sound like you may never heard of this criticism and race would play a factor in that.

No. Do not undermine how race plays a factor in dissemination of information.

But to reiterate my point. Nobody here is putting all the blame on JT. As I said, he threw her under the bus. Nobody said he drove the damn bus. He did not show solidarity. His focus was on saving his own skin. Goddamn. If you can't take hearing that then oh well.

7. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

How? Explain how he threw her under the bus. Explain to me how calling JT a snake and that he planned this makes any sense. Explain to me how thinking he's not the one to point all the fingers at means I don't understand the situation and how shitty the reaction to Janet was because I'm white. Don't tell me I don't understand what the hell the issue is having watched my family deal with it since I was 12.

8. justin. Oct 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 25, 2017)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It's a bit unfair to assume he didn't hear of the criticisms as early as we did because he is white when there are many reasons why someone didn't hear of the criticisms.

"In my honest opinion now ... I could've handled it better. ... I'm part of a community that consider themselves artists. And if there was something I could have done in her defense that was more than I realized then, I would have. But the other half of me was like, 'Wow. We still haven't found the weapons of mass destruction and everybody cares about this!'"

He has admitted that he wishes he would have said more.

"I probably got 10 percent of the blame, and that says something about society ... I think that America's harsher on women. And I think that America is, you know, unfairly harsh on ethnic people."

Sounds like he is really trying to save his own skin with that one. /s

carrytheweird likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Has anyone started to try to ask for justice for Janet against the corporations that banned her now that the topic is popular again?

10. Kiana Oct 25, 2017
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Lol when someone recently told him to apologize to Janet and brought up his cultural appropriation he gave a condescending answer about realizing we're all the same. He's dumb af. And people have been caping for Janet 5ever. She was extremely influential on pop music, tho she is often not credited for this. She released some of the greatest pop albums of all time and influenced a sea of pop performers, Justin included. And yes, ppl should give other organizations flak in addition to Justin. The NFL is trash for so many reasons and deserve all the criticism in the world.

ryan.conde and Spencer Control like this.
  11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Can you link me to a reputable article or report of this happening? Genuinely asking, not being sarcastic.

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

did yall read the article or no? it expresses very clearly what I'm saying.

The backlash over Justin Timberlake’s Super Bowl halftime show, explained

13. Malatesta

that they return to him, this year of all years, with the kneeling protests as well, it's so indicative of their absolute spinelessness

ryan.conde likes this.
  14. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Still curious as to whether or not he spoke with her or not prior to taking the offer and got her blessing. Not saying that makes it right, but it's better than just taking the offer all willy-nilly I guess

15. Kiana Oct 25, 2017
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

He tweeted to applaud Jessie Williams bet speech. Ppl dragged him for how he is complicit in what Jessie was speaking out against (cultural appropriation and lack of support for black women) and he tweeted this

Screenshot_20171025-130228.png

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

According to this article, “If Justin or his team did reach out, Janet would perform with him again in a minute.”

So I assume she doesn't have a problem with it.

17. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

cool

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hold the phone we are not slandering Janet Jackson in this thread are we?????? JT has never come close to making songs as good as:

and that's not even counting anything on Rhythm Nation

ryan.conde and Kiana like this.
  20. Malatesta

i don't dispute that large corporations were at the core of directing social outrage. my point is that JT largely avoided heat, in no small part thanks to carefully maneuvering around it. and sure, he can apologize now, but it's worth next to nothing because no way in hell did he and his PR team just stumble into this route; they went into damage control. it's a fundamental way that stars operate, don't believe for a second that he didn't have a team coaching him through this.

Nipplegate at 10: How Justin Won Superbowl XXXVIII, and How Janet Lost is also a good write up.

Aregala likes this.