Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Timberlake to Perform at Super Bowl • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 23, 2017.

1. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

???

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think he's an above average performer but he wasn't even the best in his band. I think he can dance and sing but his style has never been particularly interesting or inspiring to me.

3. Kiana

Yes??? In my opinion he has not done anything interesting recently to warrant a Superbowl performance. I understand that other people find him interesting. It's why he's a massive star. You seem to be conflating my opinion and dislike of him with me thinking this is a fact and that I'm trying to deny his influence or that he's well liked by many? I'm not. Thats where it seems like ur putting words in my mouth. I'm a huge fan of pop music and I know he is widely critically acclaimed. I still don't think he's done anything interesting enough for another performance and I'd rather it go to someone else. I also felt the same way when Coldplay got the show despite their massive success. Shrug.

4. Sal Paradise

Trusted

When has the super bowl halftime show ever been about making interesting choices?

5. Kiana Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2017)
    Kiana

Eh. Im def not confused about the choice or rly any of their past choices, tho I actually thought Coldplay's ended up interesting cause of bey. People def put on interesting shows.

I'm sure the NFL will be crying in the corner over their loss of one viewer who wasn't even a loss cause I don't usually watch it anyway lol. I hope they manage without me tho!!

6. Kiana

The NFL apparently denied a ban. GOOD now go pray at Ms. Jackson's feet and bathe in the holy water of the Velvet Rope!

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Who was better than Timberlake in NSYNC? Genuinely asking, not trying to provoke

FreshnessExpired likes this.
  8. Kiana

JC, tho Justin undoubtedly had the better solo attempt.

tdlyon likes this.
  9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I'm typically very excited for JT to be a part of anything... but yeah the way Janet Jacksons career was ruined after that shades this in a bad light. I'll enjoy the performance, but it'll still feel tainted in a way

10. transrebel59

Regular

For somebody that heard of Justin Timberlake for the first time in 2011, can anybody explain this controversy?

11. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

At the Super Bowl in 2004, Janet Jackson and JT performed his song "Rock Your Body" together and at the end at the line "i'ma have you naked by the end of this song" he was supposed to tear off a portion of her wardrobe to something more revealing but instead something was fucked up with her outfit and her right breast was fully exposed for millions of people to see and people made a HUUUUUGE deal about it. The FCC got involved, people were outraged that their kids saw it, etc. and people put 95% of the blame on her. She was banned from public appearances and radio and thus her career derailed and never recovered. Meanwhile, JT faced very little backlash, had a massive solo career, and laughed it off as a "wardrobe malfunction" and didn't really offer any assemblance of an apology until 2 years later when he was promoting his 2006 album FutureSex/Lovesounds. Also it should be noted that all of this was coming off the heels of Michael Jackson's 2002/2003 child molestation accusations so Janet's family name was already being dragged for a couple years prior to this.

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah not a fan of this given what he did to Janet

ryan.conde likes this.
  13. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

god this city's gonna be a fucking nightmare

Aregala likes this.
  14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Where is all this sudden praise and care for Janet Jackson's career coming from? And how is the blame on JT when it was clearly the industry and media's fault for placing all the blame on her?

15. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

Is you white?

St. Nate likes this.
  16. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

lol not quite sure what you mean here

17. Malatesta

i don't really care much about her career/music in itself, but i think there's a strong case to be made that the wardrobe malfunction - all theories on how intentional it was on anyone's part aside - in large part resulted in blame cast on her because she's a woman of color, even though JT was directly involved and didnt get much/any flak at the time. he's come back hard, this pretty much is what she is best known for. i think that's pretty shitty that he was able to go along with that

after a cursory read this looks to be a good summary: The backlash over Justin Timberlake’s Super Bowl halftime show, explained

Aregala likes this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

A source or quote indicating that he went along with it and favored in her taking the beat down would be nice. I’ve already posted a quote where JT expressed how he disliked the way she was treated.

"I probably got 10 percent of the blame, and that says something about society ... I think that America's harsher on women. And I think that America is, you know, unfairly harsh on ethnic people."

carrytheweird likes this.
  19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

This is the point I was making. I don't detract from the fact that she was pitted in the media as the one doing the wrongdoing. Whoever designed the outfit and thought "we should let her tit drop out, but covered at the end of the song" should be blamed. JT did express that he didn't like what occurred following it.

Me being white has nothing to do with me wondering why people are suddenly acting like they really cared for Janet Jackson then or now, and hate JT for it. Unless you were an actual fan of hers and felt the detriment of losing her as a performer and artist during that time frame. The concept of all the blame being placed on her for being a black woman is not something I questioned once.

20. Malatesta

yeah honestly reading over that makes me 10x angrier cause straight up he knows what he did but his PR team is good at maintaining his good boy look. fucking snake.

21. Malatesta

his regretful/apologetic expression was very, very dilute, and from a functional standpoint his and Jackson's careers are miles apart now. it's just not enough earnest enough for me to think he actually cares about his actions

22. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I don't think blaming JT for this incident and looking at him as the bad guy is the way to go with this, and that's just my opinion. The issue is much bigger than him and I place the blame fully on the media and the larger bodies that supported her career cutting her loose. I never understood the "his apology wasn't good enough" concept when it's coming from someone who was never required to speak on it in the first place. Wouldn't him never having said anything be insanely worse? How do we decide how he felt about the situation?

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Assumptions and "i know/have a feeling" won't count as evidence. Do you have any quotes or sources where JT was okay with how Janet was treated? I'll be upset as JT as you are if you can show me where he had said something to show that he was okay with the way Janet was treated.

24. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I'd say you being white has something to do with why you never heard of this criticism of the Janet Jackson/JT incident until now. Cause it's existed ever since the incident specifically with black music listeners.

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I've heard of the criticism since a few months after the incident happened due to owning a TV and using Google to get news. I've never heard any criticism from any of my peers regardless of their color.