Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Timberlake - Man Of The Woods (February 2, 2018) Album • Page 41

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 2, 2018.

1. GBlades

Trusted

I genuinely believe that 20/20 was a masterpiece. JT and the crew made a great, diverse album that was in my car for months!

Larry David, Jason Tate and beachdude like this.
  2. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

20/20 Part 1 and FS/LS are the only ones I can listen fully through. Everything else is just hits.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I think I’ve gone through every possible phase of love/disappointment/indifference to this album. I’m at the point now where I still stand by my earlier criticisms (it’s too bloated, with many tracks missing the mark), but the best tracks here are still worth coming back to.

It’s a shame the overall execution/rollout was such a mess, because I still think there’s some really cool ideas on here. “Filthy” is still one of my favorite pop music videos in a long time, even though none of the other videos for this album came CLOSE to it. Overall, I really hope JT can learn from the ways this album cycle fell short and bounce back strong. “SoulMate” sure wasn’t it... that single was faceless and sounds like it could’ve been by literally any pop artist today, and it deservedly flopped.

4. manoverboard365

Trusted

I still come back to Montana and Sauce pretty regularly.

5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Montana and Filthy are the only tracks I seek out now. Good reminder on that music video for Filthy. It is really entertaining.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  6. @Craig Manning

We missed a massive dispointment in our podcast talk today ....

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Legitimately forgot this album came out this year.

CarpetElf and Jason Tate like this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Disappointment of the year for me. One or two gems in the midst of a dull and lifeless mess.

JamesMichael likes this.
  9. JamesMichael Jan 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 1, 2019)
    JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I preferred the 20/20 experience roll out a lot more. The image and overall direction was spot on. This on the other hand felt like a side step. Say Something still bops but there’s a lot of filler on here.

awakeohsleeper and beachdude like this.
  10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Album is poo

11. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

The only time I ever think about this album is when this thread gets bumped.

So not often. Ha

Letterbomb31 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I still think there's a fair amount of good stuff on the album, but it's definitely bloated

beachdude and Brother Beck like this.
  13. btr

Trusted Supporter

Seeing the MOTW tour from the floor made me appreciate most of the songs I wasn’t initially too crazy about. Not his best work, but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

beachdude likes this.
  14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is how I feel about the album. There are a handful of really good songs. I like that he tried something a little bit different. I don't like how when it didn't necessarily work out and connect as he had hoped he rushed out a really crappy and generic song to try and get a "hit" out there. I would have liked to have seen him lean into all the ridiculous woodsy flannel shit for the actual songs and go more acoustic / folky / instruments and less pop. I think he's a talented guy.

And "Montana" is still one of my favorite songs of the year. Love it.

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  15. schackbr

Regular

the self-titled track is probably my favorite on the album. but yeah, he's done better.

16. I think I’m going to buy his book on Amazon for $20 right now...yup, done.

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I honestly really like Supplies, don't understand the hate that song got

But yeah this is easily his weakest album since Justified

beachdude and whitenblue88 like this.
  18. schackbr

Regular

it's much better live than the recorded version. sounds a lot better with the full band

19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I’m seeing this tour in like a week, so I’m excited to hear how this translates live

This isn’t his best work, but it’s certainly not as bad as people make it sound and it’s far from the worst big pop album I’ve heard this year

beachdude likes this.
  20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think that simply taking Filthy and Supplies, and making them bonus tracks or simply just singles, makes this album a whole lot better. It's weird that two songs can make me feel that different about it, but it kinda does

21. jordanjohnson09

Regular

feel like he should have swapped in a few other motw songs for this second leg

22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

To anyone that’s seen him on this leg, is there an opener? I assume yes but I can’t find anything about one online

23. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Some fans think JT is dropping something new soon, him and Timberland have been posting a few teasers recently. Personally I don’t think it’s gonna be that soon... he’s been recovering from vocal cord surgery til recently, and has just been playing the rescheduled concert dates he had to cancel. But I hope I’m wrong. It’d be dope if he came back strong.

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Every time this thread gets bumped I'm like, "Oh yeah, this album exists."

Joel Gustafson likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Whenever I think about this album I get bummed out that he didn't go harder in the direction of the Stapleton collab song...