Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Courtney Pierre - In the Drink (October 12, 2018) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Jul 31, 2018.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

if anyone wants to go to the show in LA next week, let me know, I have some extra tickets!

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Already going!! :-)

(it's next week alreaday???? ahh i totally forgot haha)

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  3. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  4. BackyardHero11

Trusted

5. irthesteve

The show last night was SUPER fun. Justin is super fun to watch and listen to, he talks a lot (in a great way) and I learned a ton last night. Figured I would share some tidbits that he told the audience which Justin/MCS fans would appreciate.

- He has a new EP coming out next spring, sounds like it is already recorded. He played a new song from the EP, "My Girl Margot" and it was solid.
    - He's continuing to make new Farewell Continental music, played a new song from them as well
    - His current band lineup goes by the name "Youth Gangs" and is made up of the bassist from The Forecast, drummer from Gratitude & Attention and many other bands, guitarist from Farewell Continental and other guitarist who made this viral video

they were all great, Justin said they are also making an album together haha.

About "When You're Around," Justin said that song was inspired by watching Alkaline Trio's live DVD and wanting to make a Skiba-ish song

And then my new favorite little tidbit of information, Justin was talking about an old roadie/merch guy that would tour with Jack's Mannequin and a few other bands that MCS toured with around that time, he was apparently very intense and crazy. Anyway, one time he jumped up on the merch table and yelled LETS GET FUCKED UP AND DIE which is of course where that song title came from, BUT the cooler thing is that the same merch dude inspired another song... apparently he was smoking out a trailer one day and they were passing by and opened the trailer, worried it was on fire. When the smoke cleared, he was sitting there counting money and yelled out "Fuck yeah we can live like this!!" which then became a Jack's Mannequin lyric in "Holday From Real."

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wow I didn't know the Youth Gangs stuff was serious (as in they are actually going to make an album). At our show he called his band the Little Buddies, so I thought they were just messing around when they made the Youth Gangs twitter and stuff.

7. irthesteve

we'll see! He definitely said they are going to release an album, but then said something like "out in 20 years" aka it was slow moving.

8. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

damnit steve i was going to post.....all of that.

9. irthesteve

why didn't you say hi to me

10. irthesteve

OH here is more fun info. He talked about playing MCS songs during his sets and how it's been an interesting push and pull. He wants to "not play MCS live anymore," like the whole band talked about, but at the same time he does want to keep playing some songs. His solution to that was A) he doesn't want to play the songs with a different band, so he'll only play them solo B) he wants to make them different arrangements, not just straightforward versions and C) he's trying to mostly play songs that he brought to the band as opposed to songs brought from other members initially.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

What are you guys talking about?

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

What is the confusion?

Joe4th likes this.
  13. irthesteve

Yeah I'm curious what is confusing as well, haha

Joe4th likes this.
  14. irthesteve

BackyardHero11 and Fletchaaa like this.
  15. Wonder if some more things will get in motion soon.

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There is already a good band by the name Gang of Youths. Happy to hear Justin’s going to be busy making music though

17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

irthesteve likes this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I'd like one, but $25 for a 7" - I don't think I can do.

19. irthesteve

That song was good live

20. BackyardHero11

Trusted

generally I wouldn't, but I know i'll enjoy having it, the artwork is great, and in my head rationalized it by knowing the money is going to charity.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  22. Fox83

Trusted

RSD '19 Special Release: Justin Courtney Pierre - Open Mic At The Lo-Fi : Vol 1

"Justin Courtney Pierre (frontman of Motion City Soundtrack) is back with three new songs plus one cover of a Jesus & Mary Chain classic. The players on these recordings include Justin Courtney Pierre – Vocals, Guitar, Bass , Dani Barstad – Drums, Heidi Brink – Vocals and Thomas Rehbein – Percussion, Loops, Vocals. Dubbed “Open Mic at the Lo-Fi: Vol 1 ” these tracks were produced and engineered by Thomas Rehbein. This RSD 2019 exclusive vinyl features four tracks on Side A and an etching on Side B."

Track listing:
    1. My Girl Margot - 1:27,
    2. Inside Voice - 2:41,
    3. Midnight Special - 3:24,
    4. Drop - 1:30

Message from Justin:
    Hey gang, I've got new music coming your way for Record Store Day! It's just a li'l EP, but I'm super excited about it. My buddy Thomas Rehbein Produced it in his basement studio. We were trying to go for that '90s Guided By Voices sound, which is why we called it 'Open Mic At The Lo-Fi' but it sounds nothing like GBV (apologies). This sucker is a 12" and plays at 45rpm. On the B-side is an etching done by my incredibly talented friend Beth Raebel. If you came out to the tour I did last fall you've already heard one of the songs on here. I'll stop talking. I'M JUST SUPER PSYCHED! Dig into it HERE: RSD '19 Special Release: Justin Courtney Pierre - Open Mic At The Lo-Fi : Vol 1

.K. likes this.
  23. irthesteve

My Girl Margot was great live, excited for new music!

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ugh really gonna make me have to plan for RSD, huh JCP? Actually maybe I'll call my local record store and just ask them to make sure they order it.

25. Kuri44