Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justice League (Zack Snyder, November 17, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Henry Jun 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2017)
    Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Zack Snyder returns to direct Justice League with a cast that includes Ben Affleck,Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller, and Ray Fisher, and the official Justice League movie synopsis is as follows:

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman
    Henry Cavill as Superman
    Ben Affleck as Batman
    Jason Momoa as Aquaman
    Ezra Miller as The Flash
    Ray Fisher as Cyborg
    JK Simmons as Commissioner Gordon
    Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko

Did you like Justice League? Did finally seeing all these characters together on the big screen together make you hungry for more? Luckily for you, the Chorus comic book thread’s community has put together another batch of accessible recommendations for new readers to check out.

Whether you’re brand new to the wild and wonderful world of comics or a lapsed reader looking to jump back in, any one of these 5 books would be a great, fun place to start! Also, if you’d like more recommendations (Justice League-related or otherwise), or if you’re a current reader interested in a cool place to talk comics, all are welcome in the official comic book thread. Come join us!

Justice League: Origin
    Writer: Geoff Johns
    Artist: Jim Lee
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon.

This modern retelling of the Justice League's origin, from the launch of the "New 52" brand, is likely the biggest influence for this new film. Here, instead of Steppenwolf, it is Darkseid himself who invades earth, forcing these seven classic DC heroes to unite into a team capable of saving the world. This story, written by DC legend Geoff Johns, is why Cyborg is now one of those members of the League instead of a Teen Titan. The plot follows a pretty standard "heroes meet, initially clash, and then unite to save the day" structure, but Johns' writing and Jim Lee's art make it a fun adventure. - @Tim

JLA: New World Order
    Writer: Grant Morrison
    Artist: Howard Porter

In 1997, Grant Morrison was tasked with relaunching DC Comics’ fledgling marquee franchise, The Justice League of America. Morrison found success by returning to a very simple formula: bring DC’s seven most popular characters together and have them face larger than life villains. And so, Morrison’s first issue saw Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash (Wally West), Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter team up for the first time in decades. The story, told in four issues with titles referencing sci-fi classics, sees a new set of heroes, the Hyperclan, descend from the skies to help ensure that Earth does not befall the fate of its planet. To that end, the Hyperclan make a bold spectacle of remaking the Sahara Desert into fertile land. Are the Hyperclan benevolent helpers who are willing to do what Earth’s heroes have not? Or is there something more sinister underneath? This story is cinematically rendered by artist Howard Porter and introduces some lasting concepts into the DC mythos. It is well worth your time if you want to see the “Big 7” together in a big, bold, superheroic adventure. - @scottlechowicz

Justice League: A League of One
    Writer: Christopher Moeller
    Artist: Christopher Moeller

"A League of One" begins with Wonder Women tasked with making an impossible decision. The Oracle of Delphi tells Wonder Woman of a prophecy, the last Dragon has awoken and has begun her burning revenge against the humans that hunted her kind to extinction. The Oracle warns Wonder Woman that “In victory the heroes fall. Dragon, slaying as she's slain.” To save the lives of her friends, The Justice League, she must defeat each one of them, and face the Dragon as its sole Destroyer. She understands the sacrifice she must make, she curses the gods that led her to such a pointless fate, then she walks with her head held high to confront the ancient monstrosity and her impending death. The best moments of this story come from the one-on-one battles where Diana must use her strength and intelligence to overcome the League. The Batman and Superman fights are wonderful, as you might expect. All of this is painted beautifully by Christopher Moeller, pulling double duty as both the writer and the illustrator. His expression of Flash's speed is especially gorgeous. "League of One" is collected with another story titled "Cold Steel," also written and illustrated by Moeller. Honestly, I enjoyed this story just as much as "League Of One." Each member of the League gets a large, robot, Pacific Rim style suit as they take part in an epic space war, which should be all you really need to know. - @Vivatoto

Kingdom Come
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Alex Ross

You won't find too many comics that look the way Kingdom Come does. That's due to Alex Ross' art style, which is absolutely stunning. On top of the art, there's a great story in the four issues. While the story is an older one, it still stands up today. You have a ton of major players in the comic, including the big three in Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There are multiple groups fighting for what they think is right in Kindgom Come. You have Superman's Justice League, Batman's Outsiders, Lex Luthor's Mankind Liberation Front, and Magog's Justice Battalion. The heroes we're so used to seeing have stepped down because the public seems content with Magog's style of dealing with the world's threats, which is mostly by killing them. It's an intense comic that doesn't affect any of the current continuity since it's an Elseworlds comic. You can read it any time and it'll just be a great story to read. It might not directly correlate to the film, but you'd certainly be missing out if you don't check it out. - @Deanna

DC: The New Frontier
    Writer: Darwyn Cooke
    Artist: Darwyn Cooke

A six issue comic series written and illustrated by Darwyn Cooke that at it’s very basic level is a fantastic Justice League story. However, it won’t take long to realize that within this story is so much more. The story thrives on the backdrop of the real world era’s of 1945 to 1960. We see the JSA fall away in the wake of McCarthyism, with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman continuing in their fight in their own ways. This series is largely built around vignettes of Hal Jordan (Green Lantern), J'onn J’onzz (Martian Manhunter), and Barry Allen (The Flash) finding their way to become the heroes we know them to be.

This comic is a wonderful ride as you watch the Golden Age meet the Silver Age. The story carefully walks across a tightrope of dark and violent that may feel more in line with Watchman or Kingdom Come, and the pure fun and hope that would feel right at home in another favorite period piece of mine, The Rocketeer. Darwyn Cooke manages to blend this line flawlessly so none of it ever feels out of place. While the series builds up to an exciting and huge team up of superheroes, it’s the human stories and morality tales throughout that make this stand out as something truly special. Of course, the stunning and classic artwork of Darwyn Cooke certainly helps! - @BackyardHero11
    [​IMG]

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

beachdude42, Essie, Tim and 2 others like this.
  3. airik625 Jun 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2016)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Is there still a chance they go with a different route with the direction? Has filming already began?

I'm cool with Snyder staying on, but I thought the studio was starting to rethink his role with the seemingly consistent criticism directed his way.

4. There's no way this will be well received.

5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I think a lot of that was the media exploiting the rumor mill. Justice League has been in production since April and pre-production since Batman v Superman finished filming.

6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Cautiously-as-heck looking forward to this.

Flash should be a lot of fun, even if he's no Grant Gustin. And, Gordon could be really cool. And most of all, WONDER WOMAN.

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I don't really get all the love for Godot's Wonder Woman, tbh.

8. Tim

[​IMG]

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I can't speak for everyone, but the biggest thing was that we had a female superhero who played by her own rules and never ended up in a 'damsel in distress' scenario. She was a powerful woman who showed the boys how it is done.

Unfortunately though, she had almost zero characterization. There wasn't a whole lot to like about her introduction, but at least she was badass?

iCarly Rae Jepsen and airik625 like this.
  10. airik625

Still don't understand how Wonder Woman and Superman go the entire movie without speaking a word to each other.

11. Tim

LOL, forgot about this, dang it Snyder.

12. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Doesn't matter how good this Flash is, it's gonna be hard to beat Grant Gustin.

13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Take. Snyder. Off.

Put. George. Miller. On.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Or Michelle McLaren

15. Chummel

This Must Be My Dream

Well now he's got Affleck and Johns breathing down his neck, so I have faith

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

18. airik625

19. airik625

Yeah, either way, that's impressive. Would be pretty cool if they let him keep a beard, too.

20. I think he's lost the beard, but kept the moustache.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

airik625 and ChaseTx like this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Not about that Flash outfit.

23. Tim

It's far better than I expected, that's for sure.

24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I like it more than the CW costume I think