Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Just Surrender

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zachmacD, May 6, 2019.

1. zachmacD May 6, 2019
    (Last edited: May 6, 2019)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Just Surrender is an American rock band from Dover Plains, New York, formerly known as A Second Chance. They currently have three albums If These Streets Could Talk, We're In Like Sin, and Phoenix.

I recently heard a podcast with Dan Simons, who does vocals and plays guitar, talking about new music and sharing some stories about the band. It was pretty interesting. I realized there wasn't a thread so I created one.

Some of the topics in the podcast included:

• Andy, who had the most pop sensibilities and who was a big part of the songwriting, leaving the band while they were making We're In Like Sin.
    • Hammer, their bassist I believe, took pills and passed out in a closet before their last pre-hiatus show which got him kicked out of the band and was really the straw that broke the camels back for them calling it quits.
    • Jay, bassist and lead vocalist, being a terrible boyfriend (maybe cheating on his girlfriend) then proceeded to write the lyrics to If These Streets Could after his girlfriend and him broke up.
    • They have two new songs recorded but Steve, who's the primary songwriter, lives in Chicago and works in a restaurant so their schedules don't line up.
    • The band hates "Your Life and Mine"
    Dan also played an acoustic rendition of Pay Back and Is there no truth in beauty.

Overall, it was a pretty interesting look into the bands history and Dan shared a lot of juicy details. After listening though, I can't help but assume that they must've been huge dbags

Here's the link to the podcast

2. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

is "Dan" the dude who was always hammered and absolutely TERRIBLE live?

zachmacD likes this.
  3. zachmacD

Trusted

yeah!

He said it was all in fun but he talked a lot of trash on Jay who in my opinion was the superior vocalist

to his credit though, he sounds awesome in the acoustic performances in the podcast

4. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I swear, I must have seen this band like a half dozen times and literally every time he was ridiculously drunk and an awful singer.

5. zachmacD

Trusted

yeah, that was big part of the podcast and he alluded to them having drinking problems. He basically said anyone they toured with would tell you they were a "party band"

6. Delysid

Regular

I saw this band more than 5 times over the years.. theyre from my area and I loved them. Funny story: my friends and I were going to play a cover show doing Weezer... dressed as WWE wrestlers.. as "WWEezer". Just surrender was disbanded at that point basically but apparently wanted to do weezer so the promoter basically told us we couldnt do it. Since I knew all just surrenders songs my friends and I started rehearsing to do a just surrender cover band as.... "Justice League Surrender" When they found out I think they dropped off and the whole show got cancelled. I was bummed because I really wanted to play those songs!! I was definitely a bigger fan of jays voice..he had that "scream/sing" going on.. ay anyone remember I am the Pilot? Same poughkeepsie NY scene, never really got the attention I felt they deserved.

zachmacD likes this.
  7. I LOVED that first album.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  8. “I Can Barely Breathe” was my jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

zachmacD, irthesteve and kyle like this.
  9. zachmacD

Trusted

Dan mentions I am the pilot in the podcast

10. SFguitar

Regular

These guys are back and just dropped a couple bangers!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  11. digitalsea

hate my favorite band Supporter

Used to love these guys back in the day. I actually enjoyed these new songs more than I expected to

12. The Emologist

Crusted

Um... WUT?! Hell yea!

Just Surrender lyrics were all over my Xanga, Myspace, and AIM away messages back in the day.

Delysid likes this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

ah man. i go back and listen to stronger now so often. love that song but don't really like anything else they did.

14. the new songs spank