Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Julien Baker Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Tim, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Exactly, I gave it a lucky shot while working in the office, and mostly played it in the background for a while to simply check it out after seeing it on a few AOTY lists, but then just got chills with final moments of "Sometimes" and "Rejoice" - which is probably a common thing. Then I got some Daughter influences and decided to get back to the album back at home. I've listened to it more than 100 times already and I love every second of it!

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm so bitter I let the New York show sell out on me.

3. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Also, if anyone who has listened to this hasn't checked out The Star Killers/Forrister yet, do yourself a favor. The Star Killers have both their releases up for free on bandcamp, and Forrister (same band, different name) I think has a song up as well. Julien's voice, it turns out, translates really well to rock music as well, shocker.

4. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Yeah this band is absolutely promising, the Forrister tune called "Choked Up" (also free on bandcamp) is just amazing! And I've found one more on youtube. I've read that they were inspired by Circa Survive for example, there's in fact some more complex playing. Hopefully they'll release some sort of new material in the future, though I guess now it's not happening anytime soon.

5. manoverboard365

Trusted

Wait, the Bowery show is sold out???? FUCKKKKKK I just assumed I'd be able to get a ticket at the door day of.

6. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Yeah, sold out sometime in the last 3 days or so.

7. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I think quite a few of her shows have been selling out as of late. Which is amazing considering she's playing fairly tiny venues and not that well known yet.

8. TOS_Matt

Wow, I love Sprained Ankle. Seriously a classic album, especially for a debut. Does anyone else get a Jeff Buckley vibe from her songwriting and lyrics? As her career goes on I could see a certain amount of comparisons being drawn between their style. Which I find fascinating as I haven't found anyone else to compare his style to. Her talent is really exciting.

Basically, go team Julien Baker!

teebs41 likes this.
  9. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Every few days, my girlfriend thanks me for introducing her to Sprained Ankle. Gonna grab surprise tickets to see Julien with her the next time she tours over here.

Bartek T. likes this.
  10. JohnR831

Regular

I just discovered her last week. I don't know how this album slipped over my radar. Her lyrics are devastatingly beautiful. An album hasn't hit me like this in quite a while. I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop.

11. KBradley

the earth is not a cold dead place.

I listened to this for the first time in a little while, and it hit me harder than it ever has.

12. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Holy crap, I just heard this. I know I'm late to the party but this is amazing. She has an amazing voice and a real knack for saying things that make me sad but smile at the same time cause she must know exactly how I feel.

13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

In my show review from last winter, I think my first sentence was "This must be how people felt when they saw Jeff Buckley live for the first time.

TOS_Matt likes this.
  14. MrRobot

Seeing her twice tomorrow. Can't overstate my excitement.

15. wakaflockajamez

die die die, cry cry cry

Yes! Such a sweet girl and she has been making great music for a while now. I have seen them play quite a few times locally. I know it may be a long drive for some of you guys but she is playing the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis on April 29th :)

16. Emotherapy

Regular

I really need to see her live.

wakaflockajamez likes this.
  17. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Where at?

18. MrRobot

Here in Indy. She's doing an in-store performance in the afternoon, and then her normal show later that night.

19. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Seeing her next Saturday play at an art gallery.

20. MrRobot

Saw her tonight. Everyone please do yourself a favor and see her live in the smallest, most intimate venue possible. She's a revelation, and the sweetest person you'll ever meet.

Bartek T. likes this.
  21. TOS_Matt

Glad to hear you have similar thoughts! I need to catch her live, ASAP.

22. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

I'm seeing her tonight and I could not be more excited.

23. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Seeing her on my birthday with a girl I just started dating and it's going to be magical

Bartek T. likes this.
  24. She played two new songs last night and they were both great. The one that isn't Funeral Pyre is so so good. Can't wait to hear whatever she releases next! I brought a friend who had never listened to her and he was really impressed too

25. MrRobot

That song absolutely destroyed me. It'll be a crime if it isn't recorded/released at some point in the near future. It's one of the best she has.