Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights (October 27, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Firefly, Aug 17, 2017.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

all about this

2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

going to get tickets to see her in NYC 10/27, i need to experience her music in person. i don't know anyone else who listens to her so i'm going solo and dont even care haha

sean_rugy and teebs41 like this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

she is such an incredible guitarist i LOVE the tones and sounds she gets out of that telecaster.

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's truly incredible, she's the complete package.

dylan likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

she self-produced this too

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

You sure, wasn't there an Instagram picture with a producer or something who said they just laid down 18 songs

7. cwhit

self produced but it was mixed by someone else

The album was recorded at the legendary Ardent Studios in her hometown of Memphis, TN, and mixed by Craig Silvey (The National, Florence & the Machine, Arcade Fire). This evolution fromSprained Ankle’sintentionally spareproduction allowed greater scope and freedom for Baker,who is still the album’s sole writer and producer. Strings and woodwinds now shade the corners of her compositions, and Baker takes topiano rather than guitar on several tracks. In songs like the epic “Claws In Your Back,” these new textures push Baker’s work to cinematic heights of intensity.

8. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Finally got a second to listen to the single and woooooow that last minute is just something

teebs41 likes this.
  9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

honestly, going solo is almost ideal. seeing Julien live is a very personal experience (atleast for me). as soon as she starts you would have forgotten you even came with someone that's how captivating she is.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh nice! Will be interesting to hear some more layers in her music

bradsonemanband likes this.
  11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yes

12. 1,000+?? Crazy! Last week, I saw her at a 250 cap venue, granted it sold out pretty quick.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  13. MegT585

Trusted

Appointments is absolutely perfect in every way. It absolutely destroyed me when I heard it this morning. This is 100% my most anticipated album of the year.

Shakriel and ImAMetaphor like this.
  14. cwhit

dc is 1200

15. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

When she came through Michigan earlier this year she played the same theater Sufjan Stevens played on the Carrie and Lowell tour. It wasn't sold out, but it was still very full.

16. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

last 30 seconds are real cool, rest didn't grab me that much tbph. this is gonna be a good record though for sure.

17. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed the song but I hope we get more variety on the album. More drums might help, I just don't want everything to be too similar as some of these new songs have been feeling lately. Still hyped though.

Zac Djamoos and Cody like this.
  18. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah, that was my one big thing. sonically was exactly what I expected from a Julien Baker song.

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Ordered it. I'm new to her music but I'm so excited for this

thesoftskeleton likes this.
  20. manoverboard365

Trusted

Damn I love Appointments. Gonna go pre-order now.

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Hoping maybe there is a tour exclusive variant? Either way I'll grab it at the show and save on some shipping haha

22. ghostxvapor

Trusted

23. manoverboard365

Trusted

Damnit both splatter exclusives are already sold out :verysad:

Do I go for clear or black????

24. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Going to go ahead and reserve my AOTY slot, which let's be real, it's been reserved since I first heard two of these songs at SXSW 2016.

ImAMetaphor and Firefly like this.