Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Julianna Barwick - Will (2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2016)
    Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Julianna Barwick's music is built around multiple loops and layers of her voice. Barwick, who credits a rural, church choir upbringing for her sound, begins most tracks with a single phrase or refrain, then uses a loop station and the occasional piano or percussive instrument to build the song into a swirling mass of lush, ambient folk. She released her first two collections of songs, the full-length Sanguine and the EP Florine, in 2009 and 2010, respectively, before issuing her Asthmatic Kitty debut, The Magic Place, in 2011. Her newest album, Nepenthe, was released via Dead Oceans on August 20, 2013. Her next, Will, is coming May 6th, 2016.

2. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

holy shit!!! this song is so good!!

3. YESSSS! I was wondering when new music would start coming out. Her last album was incredible. Can't wait for this!

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

In for this

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

RIYL?

6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

uhmmm im trying to think of something you might recognize. its kinda ambient? built from folk-y blocks and looped and made dreamlike. idk, maybe like bon iver's more experimental moments in like the most abstract, loose sense possible? i'd just give that song a listen, it's very beautiful and tuned in to what she does pretty consistently.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I just downloaded the new song and the last full-length on Apple Music. I'll give it a listen while at work.

I've been trying to explore more of this spacious ambient singer-songwriter stuff since Julien Baker changed the game for me. I know this is probably nothing like that, but I'll check it out anyway.

Ryan Dennehy likes this.
  8. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

The new song is not what I expected this to sound like at all based on that description. I find very little of this to be folky in nature at all. I'm really into it though.

9. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

it starts out as folk elements before it hits the final product which is much more ambient oriented, which is why i had trouble coming up with a way to describe it

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

honestly probably one of the better approaches available!

11. cwhit

Listen to Grouper's album Ruins if you like this

12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

*all of grouper's albums

13. cwhit

Well yeah obviously. Felt the most recent one would be an easier entrance since it's more sparse and piano based rather than the more drone-like soundscapes of some of her other material

14. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Wow.

I cannot wait for this album. Also very excited to see her in a couple of weeks!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  16. she can do no wrong

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Just noticed this leaked. Guess I won't be going to bed quite yet...

18. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

oh this is so gorgeous and quite different from her last two.

I don't want beached to end. ever.

19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I love the way this sounds so much. Some of the production reminds me a little of Grouper. I'm really excited to see her next week.

20. cwhit

i have a friend who went to see them both play together last year

21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

talk about a magic place

;-)

but really, that must have been out of this world amazing

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I am in love with this.

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

beached is stunning

24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

WIND DOWN FROM BEYDAY WITH THIS ALBUM IT WILL TAKE YOU PLACES

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

beached is probably the best song ever recorded btw why y'all sleeping on this when you should be sleeping to it