Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Judas and the Black Messiah (Shaka King, February 12, 2021) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

4. Night Channels

Trusted

Nothing will top that first trailer.

One of the best trailers of all-time.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This looks amazing

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is very, very good. Maybe a little messy with its scope, but one of the angriest studio films I’ve seen since maybe “Selma”? Everyone in it is excellent. Throw “Chicago 7” in the trash and nominate this for everything.

8. Can't wait to check this out. It had one of the best trailers last year, if not the best.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this was riveting and heartwrenching pretty much the whole way through. can't wait to watch it again

10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

guess we gotta look out for shaka king going forward

Night Channels likes this.
  11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

neo506 likes this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'm not as well-versed in Fred Hampton as others, but the story being about an informant selling someone out is right in the title.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Hm. Between this and Noname it’s a lens to consider.

Contender likes this.
  15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Excited to watch this tomorrow, but will consider the words of the article (s) as well

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

If anything it's making me ensure that I watch the movie but also gain a better understanding of the historically accurate information surrounding the subjects. I admittedly has no real knowledge about Fred Hampton and his situation, so it will be a "viewing with an asterisk" situation.

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

If anyone wants to read about what actually happened, the “Assassination of Fred Hampton” book by Jeffrey Haas is great. Haas was one of the lawyers who actually represented Hampton and other Black Panthers, and a huge chunk of the book is about their civil lawsuit against the Chicago PD that took around a decade after Hampton was killed to resolve. He also goes into other Black Panther cases he worked on at the time. I don’t recall him talking too much about the snitch that this movie is about, except for the fact that he was clearly the source for how the PD/FBI learned so much

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It sucks that Hollywood will never make a truly leftist movie

19. St. Nate

I think its safe to say that Hollywood is incredibly limited by capitalist design or whatever at depicting revolutionary figures and movements.

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. soggytime

Trusted

Man the oscars are really gonna go all in on The Trial of Chicago 7 over this aren't they.

Like Green Book over Blackkklansman

21. St. Nate

Tbf, Blackkklansman's take on race sucks too.

22. soggytime

Trusted

Yeah its not the BEST movie.... but i rather them award Spike Lee over Peter fucking Farrelly

phaynes12 likes this.
  23. Nathan Feb 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2021)
    Nathan

See I think that movie is stronger than people give it credit for. It's about a black cop who thinks he can change things from the inside, all while his activist girlfriend tells him it's impossible, that liberation can't come from working within the system, and the ending of the movie is literally the KKK burning a cross outside their apartment and a cut to the Charlottesville riots. It draws a direct line from the events of the film to today, and how however many "good" cops there might have been who have felt they could change things, white nationalists are arguably in more power than ever.

CarpetElf and phaynes12 like this.
  24. St. Nate

nah man. can't agree. it makes someone going undercover to the the black panthers look like a hero and that bomb thing never happened. it was the feds who took down the panthers, its the feds who push white supremacy.

25. Nathan

The bomb thing is taking creative liberty for a tense cinematic climax so take whatever issue with that you will, but the movie is pretty explicit that it’s “hero” didn’t change anything and white supremacy has only grown in the following decades. In the final scene Laura Harrier’s character is still appalled that Stallworth is going to continue being a cop, and while they’re arguing about it is when the KKK shows up, literally cutting from that to Charlottesville. The Harry Belefonte scene makes it pretty clear where the film’s sympathies lie: it’s not with the cops, who laugh after everything ends like they won but then their department gets shut down. It’s underlining the fact that cops are an arm of white supremacy, not a defense against it.