Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and Other Middle-Earth Stories Book • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 14, 2016.

1. dlemert

Trusted

Something my wife pointed out during our last re-watch was at the end of FOTR when Boromir dies and Aragorn is legit crying when it happens. She loved that they made this small detail a part of his character, and I agree. He also has tears in his eyes in the "For Frodo" scene in ROTK. I feel like any other filmmaker would've made Aragorn an unemotional badass, but PJ and Viggo chose to portray him with such an emotional tenderness. And his character is my favorite of the series for it.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this better go on the road.

Brother Beck and Dog with a Blog like this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I still kick myself for missing the traveling exhibit of props and costumes and all sorts of stuff from Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy when it came through Boston. I don't think I can swing a NY trip right now but I could make it happen if it came to Boston.

5. Dog with a Blog

[​IMG]

Nicholas Hoult as Tolkien in upcoming biopic

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I bought The Silmarilion at a library book sale. Pretty intimidated though

Rowan5215, coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  7. Garrett

Take it section by section as if they’re short stories. The Ainulindale is some of my favorite writing ever.

Rowan5215, coleslawed and ChaseTx like this.
  8. ChaseTx

Hopefully I can keep the characters straight. I always have trouble with that in LOTR

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

they’re all mostly contained to their own stories, although a few Valar/Maiar (gods) show up throughout.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

The Silmarillion is absolutely gorgeous honestly. I struggle with the first two chapters a bit and then it's smooth sailing all the way

coleslawed likes this.
  11. stars143

Trusted

12. Garrett

coleslawed likes this.
  13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

14. dash64

This is my design

This sounds like so much fun. Mentioned it to the gf, with the slight hope she'll want to do something similar.

15. dash64

This is my design

Also, I want that guy to marathon the Hobbit movies and eat everything he sees on screen.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. tucah

not champ Prestigious

The Twitter for the Amazon show has tweeted its first tweet:

Show's still almost certainly a couple years out but I guess this is a sign we should start getting some official information sooner rather than later.

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I’ve not got Prime but this (whenever it arrives) will be the first show that tempts me.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. Prime probably isn't worth it unless you utilize free shipping a lot but they do have some great original shows:

The Expanse is my favorite scifi show. The first three seasons are streaming on Prime and the 4th will come out this year.
    Homecoming was fantastic
    Marvelous Ms Maisal
    Jack Ryan was decent

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, that's my main problem... I don't buy much these days. The occasional book that I can't find anywhere? That's about it.

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

It's been kind of clear for a few weeks now with the maps they've been posting but here it is more explicitly said: it seems the show will not be young Aragorn and instead take place in the Second Age.

Dog with a Blog and ChaseTx like this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

As a huge Tolkien fan I am extremely excited for this. That being said, I feel like a show that cost this much money set in the Second Age is a huge risk. I know Amazon has all the money in the world, and I am not worried about them losing some of it, but I do worry about the show being cancelled prematurely if it doesn't perform up to expectations.

23. ChaseTx

As an exclusively LOTR/Hobbit fan I have no idea about this

24. Same had to wikipedia the different ages in the LOTR universe

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. Garrett

Numenor could be some good ish.

coleslawed likes this.