Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and Other Middle-Earth Stories Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 14, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I might need to grab that

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. In college I took a Tolkien class with my favorite college professor. I loved it.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I re-read The Hobbit in December and should be finishing up Fellowship this week. These stories never get old and I'm always discovering new little things and hidden connections. Tolkien, you genius. Happy belated birthday, Professor.

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I need to give some time to re-reading these. This year, perhaps.

5. ChaseTx

6. Garrett

Billy Boyd looks so old

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Elijah hasn't aged at all, dang. He's so cute.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. dlemert

Trusted

So my ranking of the movies has changed a lot over the years. After they first came out I was all about King>Fellowship>Towers. About 5 years ago I thought King=Fellowship>Towers. After my first rewatch in 5 years last weekend, I'd now rank them as Fellowship>Towers>King. I finally realized that while nearly every scene/sequence in the first two films is damn near perfect, King is a bunch of perfect sequences punctuated by a handful of lackluster ones, and for its staggering runtime it somehow still feels rushed once the Battle of Minas Tirith is over.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I need to rewatch them again but I've always preferred Towers - I think the Battle of Helm's Deep is the best battle in the trilogy of films.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. ChaseTx

The Two Towers was really weird to watch after reading the book. I always thought of these as a faithful adaptation but the differences there are huge.

I'll be rewatching ROTK soon

awakeohsleeper and Garrett L. like this.
  11. dlemert

Trusted

Yeah Helm's Deep is by far the best battle in the series. The build-up is absolutely perfect and there's an urgency and brutality that isn't present in Minas Tirith, even if that latter battle is a technical marvel.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Garrett

Helm's Deep is easily the best battle, but Towers is so unfaithful (for often very easy to understand reasons) that I have to rank it last.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Fellowship>Towers>King has always been my order of choice.

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

King is definitely my least-watched, although it's the only extended edition I have. still bummed I passed them all up at a Goodwill once.

15. dlemert

Trusted

Does anyone here prefer the theatrical editions to the extended versions? I don't think I've seen the theatrical versions in 10 years, I'd be interested to know if I prefer them now. I could definitely see myself preferring the theatrical version of ROTK more.

16. ChaseTx

"Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

:verysad:

17. Garrett

:verysad::verysad::verysad:

The best.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Watching LOTR and I would shit my pants, as an actor, if I had to work with something that looked like Lurtz. I'd know it was fake but I think I'd still be scared out of my mind.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

My wife and I have been going through the movies again as well! We just finished The Two Towers after two weeks of on-again, off-again viewing (we watch the extended editions after we've finally put our little one to bed so it takes even longer to get through). I always laugh at this particular line reading:

[​IMG]

coleslawed, Garrett L. and AelNire like this.
  20. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I never appreciated the comedic relief clip with Gimli until I got older.

21. Garrett

Helm's Deep is one of the best battle sequences in film history. (#1 the Normandy Invasion in SPR of course)

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  22. LightWithoutHeat Apr 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 11, 2017)
    LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I watch these movies with my girl every year right around Christmas time. It's our favorite tradition. In the last couple years I've started reading the trilogy in October and finished up right in time for the movies.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of doing this.

coleslawed, Garrett L. and AelNire like this.
  23. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

As far as film ranking I think I'm Towers>Fellowship>King. King is last only because I tend to get a little depressed as it's ending and I know it will be a whole year before I get to enjoy them all again.

24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Fellowship>Towers>King

25. Garrett

King=Fellowship>Towers

Order is important in that first part for me.

However, Towers has the best scene.

exanctile likes this.