Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and Other Middle-Earth Stories Book • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, May 14, 2016.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

AHHHHHHHH let the hype train begin. Those pages of the Second Age give me hope we’ll see some of my favorite stories from The Silmarillion.

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Looks like a solid team. I am excited for this. I do find it a little bit odd that it is still being called 'Lord of the Rings' though... I suppose they want to capitalize on the name recognition they paid so dearly for, but I had assumed that was just what everyone was calling it by default and that they would be debuting an actual different name at some point as official developments starting coming out.

coleslawed and xapplexpiex like this.
  3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I didn’t think of that, but that is a good point. If viewers like this show and then decide to buy the books, they’ll be disappointed. Why not just call it Before the Lord of the Rings or something?

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

When the rumours started circulating about this being set in The Second Age I honestly thought those would ultimately be proven false. I assumed this series would be set in and around the events of the three LOTR books even if it wasn't going to be only just another straight adaptation of the books.

I was also on board for that idea though too - just another take on the LOTR story, one that maybe didn't need to worry about fitting the story into the framework of movies and worrying about run-times.

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

That team is STACKED with absolutely the right people for this AND also balances genders involved almost evenly. Lovely to see.

ChaseTx, coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I noticed that as well in regards to the gender of the writers and thought that was lovely as well. Also thought it was really cool to see Tom Shippey in there.

7. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

This show will be the motivation I need to finally read these books.

8. Garrett

Tom Shippey helped so much when I wrote my thesis in college

Brother Beck likes this.
  9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

John Howe doing the concept art again is cool.

and J.A. Bayona!

10. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I'm really really excited now, the lineup of writers is absolutely fantastic. they really just snagged Better Call Saul's best writer

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It’s all in vain if they do not film on location on New Zealand.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Garrett

I will accept Iceland, too.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Whoa

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

yassssssssssssssssss

15. Garrett

I’ve had a Tolkien sleeve idea for years. Seeing one done well removes a lot of fears haha

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. justin. Sep 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I can see him in Middle Earth. Accept as long as he is playing a new character and not young Aragorn or something.

18. Garrett

Eh

19. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I never realized how odd the timeline for the main LOTR story is

Time between breaking of the fellowship and the ring being destroy is less than a month. Also the battle for helms deep is just a week after the breaking of the fellowship. So basically all of the two towers takes place in a week. Always figured it was a good deal more spread out than that. Like Frodo spends two months chilling in Rivendell, there is a month and a half between when they leave Moria and the breaking of the fellowship and then suddenly I guess the story kicks into overdrive.

coleslawed likes this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Iirc he says at the end it’s been 13 months since he left the shire, right? Or am I mixing that up with The Hobbit?

coleslawed likes this.
  22. clucky

Trusted Supporter

look like that's right, but the timeline is

About a month between leaving the shire and getting to Rivendell

Two months in Rivendell

Two months between Rivendell and breaking of the fellowship

A month between breaking of the fellowship and destroying the ring

Five months without any real news where I guess Frodo is just recovering

A month returning to Rivendell

A month going from Rivendell back to the shrie

David87 likes this.
  23. justin. Sep 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 18, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

xapplexpiex likes this.
  24. dlemert

Trusted

Anyone see the recent Tolkien biopic? I thought it was actually pretty great, obviously doesn't go nearly as deep as it should but shows how the trauma of war shaped Tolkien's worldview pretty well. Also it doesn't rely on imagery to Jackson's trilogy, which was my biggest fear going on. All in all it's a well made and actually pretty poignant film.

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't seen it yet, but my brother watched it and said almost all of the same things that you say about it here.

dlemert likes this.