Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joyce Manor Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

Joyce Manor is an American band from Torrance, California, formed in 2008. The band consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Barry Johnson, guitarist Chase Knobbe, drummer Jeff Enzor and bassist and back-up vocalist Matt Ebert.

no joyce manor thread? never hungover again is arguably top 10 record of all time for me and its getting hot where i live so imma bout to spin it

2. bedwettingcosmo

i could go for a new record right about now.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Was hoping there was news for a new record!

Love Never Hung Over again

4. Horrorca

Trusted

what I love about JM is that they are catchy as fuck, but they still channel the energy and bravado of punk rock

sick band, stoked to see them live with the Hotelier this autumn

5. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I was hoping we'd have a song or news about recording by now

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Excited to see these guys with the hotelier

7. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Was really hoping their fall headlining tour announcement might come with a new album announcement but alas not.

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

new song monday

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

10. bedwettingcosmo

OH MY GODDDDD FUCK

CODYYYYYY

teebs41 likes this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

omg yessssssss

12. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Holy shit, it's happening

13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Feel like it's not a full record, an EP or single is my guess

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Man an ep from this band would be really short haha

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think it's probably a "full length" record. It's really soon from Never Hungover Again, but two years was about the time in between Of All Things and Never Hung Over. Joyce Manor is one of the most important bands for me, honestly.
    I wonder if we get something longer this time. 25 minutes, perhaps? Their second ever song to hit three minutes? Solid lol
    Listening to that snippet, I love how their sense of melody increases after each album but still maintains a lot of their core energy. Really cool.

16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

25 minutes would be great! Never hungover again never really felt short to me though. Usually when I listen to it I go through it two times too. Yea that short snippet has me excited, excited to see these guys in the fall.

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

None of their albums feel short to me, they feel like they set out exactly what they set out to do. In and out before they've overstayed their welcome. I feel like a lot of bands have tried to emulate that, but none have really figured out how to do short songs that don't feel half baked quite the way Joyce Manor has, imo. Very versatile sense of songwriting. But I'd love to see them try and expand their sound out of their comfort zone, even if it comes with missteps. I think they could stick to what they're good at and it'd always be fresh and I'd love it, but I think it'd also be cool to see what would happen if they branched out.
    Edit: Which isn't to say I don't think they're expanding; I think Joyce Manor are doing the risky thing (at least in 2016) in progressing their sound slowly and organically as opposed to drastically the way a lot of people are expecting like it's the norm. They're a super interesting band to me for that reason among many others.

Ivan likes this.
  18. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Two years is a pretty standard time between albums. Not to mention it's only going to be like 20 minutes of new music tops lol.

(Don't mean this to sound condescending, just think the comments about it being so soon after Hungover are funny)

Owlex likes this.
  19. bedwettingcosmo

i have ~20 records ever that i consider "five star" albums. never hungover again is one of them. i am super nervous/excited to see what they have in store.

20. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Yeah I'm almost always down for listening to this band, NHA is great.

21. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

The self-titled is still my favorite album from them, but all three are good. Excited to hear where they go from NHA, for sure.

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

s/t is incredible. I feel resentment that that record was embraced so heavily by some people who go to shows for the sole purpose of being aggressive. like unnecessarily aggressive not normal show aggressive. im glad it's been lessening as time has gone on though. I want everyone to love this band, but i don't want to feel like i have to watch my back while listening to songs i love, ya know?
    Back to the actual record though, Barry came out of the gate a pretty great lyricist imo. An excellent economy of words and story telling.

23. Horrorca

Trusted

they're becoming better songwriters each passing day - super excited for this

24. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Beyond excited for this. Never Hung Over Again is an album I can play repeatedly. I enjoy their s/t too but Of All Things still seems so weird to me. It doesn't feel/sound like an official album from them I can't describe it.

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Of All Things I Will Soon Grow tired is underrated, wtf. It's literally so good, they balance perfect straight pop songs with these weird emo punk tunes and the lyrics are great through out. I guess the studio effects turn people off but it is such a good album, it's a wonder that it feels so cohesive even though it's so stylistically broad.

Owlex likes this.