Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joyce Manor - Cody (October 7, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

man, too bad - he had a lot of potential

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

going on the record saying Makonnen was never good, sorry

3. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Going on the record that you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about

stillbrazy likes this.
  4. irthesteve

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nah, dude's music sounds like bad music because it's bad

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

You still do not know what you're talking about and mostly embarrass yourself any time you try to talk about Atlanta rap

stillbrazy and EngineDown like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The last water tape was dope too

RobbieBerns and stillbrazy like this.
  7. irthesteve

I love the insinuation that I don't know my own opinions because I don't know enough about Atlanta rap, or whatever you are trying to say. Me "trying to talk about" Atlanta rap is such a demeaning thing to say, like I need to research and be as knowledgeable about the scene as you are before I am allowed to like or dislike an artist. Total bullshit.

8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

I am sure you know your own opinions I never said otherwise but you consistently demonstrate that you flat out do not understand the continuing evolution of the art form. Believe it or not, knowing things about the subject you're trying to talk about is usually a positive.

stillbrazy and EngineDown like this.
  9. SayHello

Regular

I mean this as a very flattering compliment: it's amazing that my love for this band is now equivalent to the hate I had for them pre-Never Hungover Again. This band is onto something special, and I could see them being the band that is kind of the ones to take emo / alternative / indie rock to an even bigger, more mainstream audience, similar to the way Weezer did. This band maintains a rawness and tactful-ness about them while still writing extremely catchy hooks, something that only a few other bands in our scene can do exceptionally well (usually it's one or the other, JM does both).

10. irthesteve

There is no level that I am required to "understand the evolution of the art form." Me not being a fan of certain vocal effects and certain rappers voices doesn't mean I am uninformed either. I think it's pretty rude to assume that my dislike of certain artists or styles is the same as not understanding the evolution of the art form.

Look, obviously I haven't listened to the deep catalogs of Future, or Makonnen, or Fetty Wap, or plenty other modern rappers that I don't like and you are referring to, but that doesn't mean I don't understand it. Much like with some of this new emo stuff, I don't like a lot of it, but I know where the scene is going and I understand it. The continuing evolution there is something else that I don't like for the most part, but again it doesn't mean that I don't understand it

11. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Do you like the pre-NHA stuff now that you got into NHA or do you still think it's bad? Just curious because I like them all

12. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

they're the closest we have to a modern-day 3EB and i love it

SayHello likes this.
  13. SayHello

Regular

I still dislike it very much, it is so abrasive. And that's coming from someone who listened to their earlier stuff before NHA came out and revisited it after discovering how much I enjoyed NHA.

14. SayHello

Regular

This comparison also makes a lot of sense. If they keep adding in more and more pop-sensibilities throughout their songs and records, I could definitely seem them coming very close to the way 3EB sounded on their best records.

15. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Interesting. Definitely agree that they've gotten better with each release so I hope that trend continues

SayHello likes this.
  16. EngineDown

OATIWSGT is still my fave by them

17. you vandal

Regular

Don't see this comparison at all.

And 3EB is still making music so they are probably the modern day 3EB.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Then why say anything in the first place

19. irthesteve

Same reason all of us say shit on this site, because we all have stuff we do and don't like, so we talk about it. You aren't above it, I'm not above it, and that's fine

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i try not to open my mouth about things unrelated to the thread at hand that i have nothing of note to contribute to

21. irthesteve

True it is out of place in this thread, but it's where the convo went. Did I take it further than it should have gone? Probably.

22. EngineDown

Steve just take the L with some grace, my dude

23. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

This thread is too young to start like this

SayHello likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Thread really took a

Stage

Dive