Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joy Division Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Sep 25, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Joy Division were an English rock band formed in 1976 in Salford, Greater Manchester. The band consisted of singer Ian Curtis, guitarist and keyboardist Bernard Sumner, bass player Peter Hook, and drummer Stephen Morris. The band released two albums, Unknown Pleasures (1979) and Closer (1980) both of which are widely regarded as two of the best post punk/"goth rock" records of all time.

Its that time of year where Unknown Pleasures becomes my favorite album for a little while. Such a great collection of chilly, dark, atmospheric, and powerful rock songs. Closer also gets a lot of play from me, but Unknown Pleasures is the album I tent to praise the most. Probably my favorite post-punk release of that era? Either it or Strangeways Here We Come.

So anyways, figured we needed a thread for this incredible band and their two powerfully influential albums, especially on our little scene. Feel free to nerd out and gush with me.

Dirty Sanchez and local_corn like this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Joy division is very good

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Yes good band

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Maybe its because its a chilly night here in NC, maybe its the fact that I havent taken my bipolar meds and im on a slight downslope until morning, but Unknown Pleasures is one of if not the only album that legitimately SCARES me. It freaks me out knowing that Ian felt very similarly to how I feel, mentally speaking, and that he had such macabre thoughts right before taking his own life. The atmospheric clangs and cold, sharp, metallic production coupled with these haunting, bellowing vocals and a stunningly confessional lyrical performance makes this album so timeless yet so weird. Angular guitars and the sound of glass smashing and deep basslines and minimalist cymbal-ridden drums just help build this world that Ian is describing. Fuck, I love this album and this band so so much.

JRGComedy likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

The first time I heard it, it also scared me, but not in the dread way you're describing as much as full on horror movie terror. I don't even actually know why, and the only ever time that's ever happened was the first time I listened to Revolution 9 by the Beatles (a song I haven't listened to since that first time lol). Unknown Pleasures is dope, kind of feels underrated in the sense that everyone knows it and kind of takes for granted how good it is

local_corn likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle Jan 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2017)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Post punk as a genre doesn't mean much to me; it's broadly defined and the only thing I really associate with it is a focus on rhythm and atmosphere and some minimalist tendencies with songs often centered around a bass. Naturally, this band always comes to mind first, and it seems like if you can be synonymous with a genre, you've really created something incredible.
    Also, maybe overrated, but it's wild that love will tear us a part is a b side. I love that song a lot

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

"Atmosphere" though

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah, seems like that's the biggest thing tying Joy Division to like Sonic Youth or smth in a genre like this

9. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Oh I wasn't replying to your post. I was just making it known that it's a fucking amazing song.

Zac Djamoos and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh shit yeah, I'll double like that lol

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cool that pete hook invented the bass guitar

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

uhhhhh did a JD cover if anyone wants to hear it. it'll be on the forum covers compilation this month too

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

15. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Prob going to pick up that clear Closer

16. Seeing Peter Hook & The Light play Unknown Pleasures and Closer in full this week. Super excited!