Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Josh Ritter - Gathering (September 22, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this is really good. I've been listening quite a lot and I'm still not sure if there's any 10 out of 10 songs on here that would ever rank up there with his best but there's a ton of solid tunes to add to his arsenal. I'm loving "Feels Like Lightning", "Myrna Loy", "When Will I Be Changed", and "Cry Softly."

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Oh yeah and he gets infinite points for naming a song after one of the all time great actresses.

3. Barcara

Regular

Damn, just found out Josh is showing up right in my neighborhood, can’t wait to catch him in Banff.

Matthewconte likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

irthesteve, ChaseTx, airik625 and 4 others like this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Dang, that rocks.

6. zmtr

Trusted

I've always thought of him as an incredible songwriter but I've only heard a handful of songs. Which album should I start with?

7. jdr2187 Aug 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2018)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

The Animal Years for sure, it’s one of the best albums ever made in my opinion. I also love The Historical Conquests, all his other stuff is great too, but I consider it a step below those two.

zmtr likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

The Animal Years and Sermon on the Rocks are his two best, in my opinion, and are two very different sides of his sound. I'd probably give the latter the edge as my favorite album he's made.

zmtr likes this.
  9. zmtr

Trusted

Listening now.

jdr2187 likes this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

Really enjoying it so far.

"The Curse" is probably my favorite song from him FWIW

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Definitely give The Temptation of Adam a listen, it’s probably my favorite Ritter song and is written in a similar way as The Curse.

zmtr likes this.
  12. zmtr

Trusted

That's my second favorite! Fell in love with it after his Tiny Desk Sessions years ago.

jdr2187 likes this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

"Thin Blue Flame" woooooooooooow

14. Craig Manning

"Thin Blue Flame" and "Girl in the War" are probably my favorite Ritter songs. Those and "Homecoming."

15. jdr2187

jdr2187

Those 2 are right at the top for me as well.

16. Craig Manning

“Thin Blue Flame” was the first Ritter song I ever heard. That was a “holy shit” moment.

KidLightning and jdr2187 like this.
  17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

“Homecoming” is probably my favorite Josh Ritter track.

18. jdr2187

jdr2187

Galahad is a favorite of mine, that is way too underrated among his material.

19. fastlife

Regular Supporter

His acoustic version of “Come and Find Me” from the Golden Age re-release is so good. Wish that version was up on Spotify.

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love pretty much all of Josh Ritter's work. All of the songs people have listed are incredible, but I think I have to agree with jdr2187 - I think "The Temptation of Adam" might be my absolute favorite. I think the album I've listened to the most of his is So Runs The World Away, but Sermon On The Rocks has been giving it a big run for it's money since it came out.

These two coming together is such an incredible combination of talents. I am so damn excited for this.

KidLightning and jdr2187 like this.
  21. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

"Temptation" and "Kathleen" are two of the greatest songs ever written. For me, Historical Conquests and Animal Years are both in the top 10 of the last decade.

jdr2187 likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

I saw Isbell and Ritter on tour together a few years ago. That was a good night.

Brother Beck and Matthewconte like this.
  23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I saw them on that tour in Red Bank, NJ. Great.

Also, Josh played a pretty awesome new song at XPNFest this year. You should be able to hear it here at like 36 minutes:

XPN Media Player

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Damn. I would have loved to have seen this.

This new song is fantastic.

I gotta throw "Thin Blue Flame" out there too as a good song for someone unfamiliar with Josh Ritter to check out to see what he's about.

25. Craig Manning

My only complaint was that most of Josh's set was songs from Gathering, which was still a year away at this point. I would have preferred to hear him play a set of stuff I knew, especially the Sermon on the Rocks songs.

KidLightning likes this.