Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jorge Ben Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Apr 13, 2016.

1. cshadows2887 Apr 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 10, 2020)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Jorge Duilio Lima Menezes (born March 22, 1945), known as Jorge Ben Jor, is a Brazilian popular musician. His characteristic style fuses samba, funk, rock and bossa nova with lyrics that blend humor and satire with often esoteric subject matter. Some of his hits include Chove Chuva, Mas Que Nada, Ive Brussel, Balança Pena, among others, and have been interpreted by artists such as Caetano Veloso, Sergio Mendes, and Marisa Monte[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

[​IMG]

First time with this one. I can totally see why people call this his best. It has a wonderfully orchestrated vibe in a way nothing else I've heard from his does. He's just so damn versatile that you never care that you can't understand the language.

3. George

Trusted Prestigious

I need to hear more of him, I'm only properly familiar with Africa Brasil, but that's bloody wonderful.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Be patient and you will have a great excuse to. Hint hint. Haha

George likes this.
  5. FeynmanWannabe

I have a bunch of his albums, all of them great. Still have more exploring to do.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Glad to see you made the move over, man.

7. cshadows2887

Jorge Ben
    In honor of a Brazilian Olympics, a Brazilian legend. Aligned somewhat with Tropicalia, and mixing samba, funk, rock and bossa nova, there's so much to explore and love in his sound.

Recommended Listen:
    A Tabua de Esmeralda

Crash Course:
    1. A Tabua de Esmeralda
    2. Forca Bruta
    3. Africa Brasil

Compilation Replacement:
    Minha Historia

Personal Note:
    Hardly an expert here, but the 3 in the crash course are legitimately wonderful. Jorge Ben from 1969 is a bit tamer and less ambitious, but still really wonderful. And Gil e Jorge is a little long for me, but also thrillingly improvisational and exciting. If you find any other treasures in his catalog, speak right up and educate everyone (myself included).

8. cshadows2887

Listened to (what I think is) his debut, Samba Esquema Novo and it's absolutely wonderful. More straightforward samba and less genre hopping ambition than usual, and that focus is thrilling.

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Nice! Been holding off on listening to anything other than Africa Brasil because I knew he'd be coming up in one of these weekly things. Really looking forward to delving deeper, because Africa Brasil is incredible.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. George

Trusted Prestigious

Also, he's the perfect soundtrack to the olympics right now.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. cshadows2887

Totally why I picked him. Decided I want to crash course myself on Brazilian music during these olympics

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Anything else good you'd recommend? I know Gal Costa and Os Mutantes off the top of my head, but that's basically where my Brazilian music knowledge ends.

13. cshadows2887

Well Jorge Ben obv.

Listened to Moacir Santos' Coisas yesterday and totally fell in love with it. I adore both Antonio Carlos Jobim albums I've heard, particularly Wave. Getz/Gilberto, I'm sure you know but I heard and liked his album Joao this last week. And I dig Elis Regina's Como and Porque.

I'll let you know if I find other good shit.

George likes this.
  14. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to A Tabua de Esmeralda this morning. It's the absolute worst music for sitting in an office on a grey day in Cardiff! It is absolute perfect beach weather this, just really breezy and pleasant in the nicest possible way. It's a little more mellow than Africa Brasil and definitely less funky and more folky, reminds me a little (maybe...) of Simon & Garfunkel at times. He's a really stupendous vocalist, seeming very languid and laid-back at times, but with the chops and talent to demonstrate his ability. There's lots of lovely little bits of instrumentation dotted about here that I enjoyed too. It's a great album, and well worth the wait.

Listening to music in a foreign language is interesting, because the vocals essentially become another instrument. With no lyrics to latch on to, you just have to appreciate the sounds of the language, which I think sometimes makes listening to "world" music a bit of a passive experience at times. That's not a bad thing at all, but I definitely find it quite an interesting experience every time.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  15. cshadows2887

I have this exact feeling about foreign language music. It feels very much like listening to jazz, where there's a lead instrument that draws you, but doesn't demand the same slavishly constant attention as lyrics you can understand do.

George likes this.
  16. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to Samba Esquema Novo, and I agree with Chris, that its really great to hear a taut, focused album from him. Not that his other stuff is particularly meandering or anything, but there's something great about a 30 minute, completely concise album.

Not entirely sure what genre to call it, if its samba or boss nova or just jazz, but it's great stuff. Instrumentally engaging, and he's got an absolutely wonderful voice, particularly the last few moments of "Mas Que Nada", where he really stretches his range. It's less percussion-driven than the other two I've heard from her, instead focusing on on dancey, upbeat horns, with Ben's subtle rhythmic guitar work. It's just a straight up lovely album, no real "Holy shit!" moments, but a collection of very well-written and performed songs. No complaints whatsoever here.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

Listened to O Bidu today. Just as excellent as his other material. Not quite into the genre-blended, semi-psych arena yet, and has a very distinct 60s sound. Also nice to hear the genesis of his addition of rock elements

18. cshadows2887

Revisiting A Tabua de Esmeralda and jesus christ it's incredible. I've just never heard vocals like these and the effortless blend of so many genres. It doesn't matter one bit that I don't understand the words. I understand the feeling.