Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Cast Lakeith as Adam Warlock you cowards

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I mean, Todd Phillips can't be trusted just on the basis that he made those two shitty "Hangover" sequels.

Anthony_ likes this.
  3. Anthony_

Also I mean let's be real The Hangover is essentially just "Dude, Where's My Groom?". I never understood the intense adoration that movie got, it was fine but did not deserve anywhere near the praise it received.

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean...it’s pretty fucking funny.

SpyKi, I Am Mick, jkauf and 1 other person like this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

If Shazam is huge box office wise, I hope it shows WB that they just need to let directors do their vision that they were hired for instead of what happened to most the DCEU films. I'd rather Phillips miss on his own but it be a clear vision then to have another Frankenstein movie that's an uneven mess.

Zilla and TJ Wells like this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

I'm not completely sure those weren't forced on him by the studio though. I do agree they aren't good though.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The studio rushed both before their predecessors were even released. And I'd give him leeway for that second one, since you have to strike while the iron is hot. But doing that third one, saying how it was radically different than the other two, and then it's the same thing again. It's a real "Fool Me Twice" situation. Also, "War Dogs" was bad too.

Davjs likes this.
  8. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

was looking forward to this, but the trailer was very lackluster. Still interested, but sightly less

9. drewinseries

Drew

1st Hangover is great. Others are w/e. But seeing Hangover 1 in theaters for the first time is a top cinema experience for me.

jkauf and Davjs like this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

This trailer looked pretty cool to me. Seems interesting to me to get a deeper dive into the Joker, and I also love the "thought my life was a tragedy until I realized it was a comedy" line. I think this could end up being pretty cool. I haven't seen Suicide Squad so this will be my first Joker movie since Heath Ledger, so I'm ready for a new take on the character.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don’t get it. I’m all for a Joker character study. But the Joker doesn’t exist without Batman. Even Elseworlds are still within DC. No matter what this film was it's still the origin story of a Batman villain.

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The story of how the Joker became what he is can be told without Batman being involved in any way and that's what I was hoping for in this movie. Even if it's not congruent with what has been seen in the comics, movies, shows, etc... make something new and interesting. I hope they did that but I have a feeling they didn't.

13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Most def.

And you didn't miss much. I personally hated Leto's take on the Joker.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I’m still cautious but it looks better than I expected.

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Also I think it’s really early to be upset about young Bruce Wayne being in the movie. I don’t want it to be a huge part, but if it’s just that little cameo scene, or he just appears with his father, then it’s just a neat little Easter egg and I don’t think it would take away from the film. I’ll reserve any real judgment on that until I see the movie.

Aaron Mook and Kuri44 like this.
  16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Even just being there as an Easter egg for a tiny scene is distracting and unnecessary.

17. Anthony_

this Joker literally exists without Batman

Dinosaurs Dish and Syre Dream like this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the superhero genre, but this looks surprisingly interesting. If DC is actually ditching their attempt to be Marvel and just going all in on weird stand-alone films, I'd be all in.

19. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Todd Philips directed Due Date right? That wasn’t terrible.

20. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

The trailer has some visually striking moments that give me some hope for Todd Phillips as a director. The Hangover II, as shitty as it was, has a really gritty texture to it that makes me think he can handle a darker drama visually. Those Hangover sequels are pretty dark anyways.

I'm going to see it just for Joaquin Phoenix, even if the trailer teases a film where I'm just gonna be watching him getting beaten up and laughing for 2 hours.

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

But not without Bruce Wayne who obviously becomes Batman. Joker is a part of Batman mythos, even this one. I can't see any way where the inclusion of Bruce and the rest of the Wayne family is a detriment to a film about a character that is so entwined with them.

22. Anthony_

It exists in a world with the Wayne family, not in a world with Batman. And I would really not say Joker is "entwined with [the Wayne family]." It hurts the film to have kid Bruce Wayne because it's an unnecessary distraction from a movie that is called "Joker" about the Joker and likely 20 years before Bruce Wayne first becomes Batman.

I Am Mick likes this.
  23. jorbjorb

7 rings

Very stoked for this one.

SlappinCups likes this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The Joker can be a complete character without Batman or anyone from the Wayne family involved. I don't know why people are saying he can't.

25. DeathOrGlory Apr 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2019)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

It's not like the movie is official comic canon. I'd rather have the filmmakers make the best film that they can than worry about comic timelines. I honestly hope that there's as little comic influence as possible.

Hell, for all we know, it ends with the Joker stuck in Arkham for decades, planning his escape and revenge on the society that warped him. Boom, the timeline fits.

RyanPm40 likes this.