Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 45

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I thought he was good in BR2049 but the worst cast actor in that film

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh fuck I knew Jared fucking sucks but didn't know he was a rapist

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I'm not sure how it wasn't a bigger story, I think the nature of the fact that he preyed on teenage 30 Seconds To Mars fans

xapplexpiex and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I want Phoenix to get an Oscar nom if only to really piss off Leto

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  5. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

If Phoenix won the Oscar then the Joker of all fucking characters would be the second example of two actors winning an Oscar for playing the same character lol

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Oscars are a complete joke. I hope he snubs them completely.

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It looks like Phoenix is actually playing the game this time, he's been doing WAY more press than usual

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  8. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

The buzz seems to be between him and Driver at the moment

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I would love for Eddie Murphy to win it for “Dolemite.” But first, the Academy would have to get around to nominating comedies in major award categories.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  11. Anthony_ Oct 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 20, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The praise this has gotten is so bizarre. It's shot decently enough and Phoenix is fine in it but damn that script was rough. I can't even imagine thinking this movie had any kind of deep statement to convey about anything. The real joke is how seriously this thing wants to be taken while doing almost none of the work to actually earn that kind of treatment.

Plus, re: the talk show scene, any and all semblance of tension was completely thrown out the window at the end, when Philips actually forces Joaquin Phoenix to shout the words "What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society who treats him like trash? You get what you deserve!" with complete sincerity. Hamfisted doesn't even begin to describe it.

Also pretty cool to put the pedo song in your movie about a man with an abusive childhood.

12. RyanRyan

Fair opinion but I highly doubt they intentionally chose a song by a pedophile on the basis it was by a pedophile. Probably just a glaring oversight. Might be looking into that one too much there...

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

aw man

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

that's one thing that makes me wish the deadpool movies were even more successful

15. Anthony_

Who the hell said they intentionally wanted to put a song by a pedophile into the movie? The problem is that Philips and co. were too stupid to realize that it was an extraordinarily bad idea to have it in this movie specifically, let alone just how bad of a look it is in general to have it in anything.

imthesheriff likes this.
  16. RyanRyan

Nobody. I was pointing out that it was a glaring oversight, as I said!

17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

You know what this scene needs?? A song written by a pedophile!!

Jake W and Anthony_ like this.
  18. Anthony_

Oh ok so we agree that Philips is an idiot for doing it. I guess you were “looking too much into it” too then, or...?

imthesheriff likes this.
  19. RyanRyan

Yes we agree haha! I was saying I was!

imthesheriff likes this.
  20. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

People are still really on edge in here, eh? Damn.

21. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If it's true that the creep doesn't get any royalties for the song, as was recently reported, then considering how widely used & iconic the song is, & how well it fit the scene... I really don't have a problem with it being used.

TEGCRocco likes this.
  22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

24. Lol. For a continuity error so obvious, I'm surprised I didn't notice that.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That first tweet has huge “Dany with dragon wings” vibes.