Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

This is s Joker film. It's never going to be completely divorced from Batman. Hell Thomas Wayne is a major character.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I understand, but I'm saying it was marketed as a standalone Joker film and that's what I'd rather see. If I wanted to see Batman, I'd go watch one of dozens different iterations of him.

3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

It's clearly a Joker film. Bruce Wayne being in the film doesn't make it not a Joker film.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I usually love Joaquin but I don’t know how excited I am for another comic book origin story right now.

I’ve always kind of likened the Joker to Boba Fett in a way in that the lack of a backstory, to me, makes the character more interesting.

Maybe if this included Batman but was told strictly from the Joker’s point of view (like Wicked?) and sprinkled in some backstory that might be pretty cool.

In any event I’ll probably see it opening weekend haha.

5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like I and others have already explained in this thread how having anything directly related to Batman in the film is disappointing.

6. Looks alright.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Y'all gotta look at this through the lens of, like, Elseworlds & the like. Marvel's 2015 Secret Wars comic event actually had a lot of cool standalone miniseries that made great use of that approach, & from what I've heard, the current Wildstorm continuity at DC is doing the same thing. For other examples, see Spider-Gwen & Batman: White Knight.

Hinting in any way towards Bruce becoming Batman someday would be trash. Like, if they show Joker inspiring other villains, or if he kills Thomas & we see Bruce look all vengeful... :puke: But, if they're just playing around with the IP, that's cool.

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Lol calm the fuck down Bill:

coleslawed and Dog with a Blog like this.
  9. simonthebutler

Regular

Also given the current trend for including whole scenes in trailers that aren’t even in the films.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  10. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I'm on board. It's a teaser so can't really judge how it's all going to turn out.

11. DeRRek

Trusted

So ready for this. Joaquin is a great actor and this teaser has me well and truly on board.

12. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

I liked the look of that trailer a whole lot. Sign me up baby

13. Looks cool. I'm sold on pretty much anything Joaquin Phoenix does.

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yupp

15. Davjs

Trusted

Todd Philips is a bad film maker? I forgot Old School and Hangover weren't classics (the sequels not so much). I liked War Dogs pretty well too.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

His whole filmography is built upon fart joke level comedies, which is fine but that's not a good sign for how good an introspective character study is going to be.

I haven't seen War Dogs though, but everything I've read and heard about that one is that it's terrible.

17. Davjs

Trusted

We've had a string of directors coming from comedies surprise us, I just hope he does too (I don't want this movie to be bad of course). It looks like he's doing something interesting enough.

I just thought his comedies were liked enough to give him some credit, but I guess not. This is the internet after all :-O:teethsmile::-p

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

He gets credit as a good comedic director, but he's never done something close to what the Joker looks like, so it's a clean slate.

chewbacca110 and Davjs like this.
  19. Anthony_

I mean, Old School and The Hangover are funny but they aren't particularly well-made.

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This. He is not remotely the reason those movies are good.

Anthony_ likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

Huh? Directors can't take credit when movies are good but take all the blame when a movie is bad?

Contender and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The director should get credit and blame equally if a movie is good or bad.

Davjs likes this.
  23. Anthony_

It's a case-by-case analysis. A movie can be directed in the most workmanlike, uninteresting, manner and still be enjoyable for other reasons (script, cast, etc.).

24. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Definitely concerned with the director, but I really enjoy Joaquin and am a huge fan of the Joker, so I’m going to stay optimistic based on the amazing cast and character.

25. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

with Donald Glover having his brief Marvel appearance too I'm just hangin on for Lakeith Stanfield to finally get cast in, like, Guardians 3 or something

Dan Quinlan likes this.