Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 39

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

They thought we wanted to see the Waynes get killed again, but the ending we really wanted and deserved was Arthur stopping by a tattoo parlor

Mrplum5089 and imthesheriff like this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

that plus contrarian impulses is definitely what caused this

supernovagirl likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m still not really sure how, “Making a movie to appeal to this particular male mindset, especially when helmed by this specific person, is a bad look for a major piece of media,” became, “This movie WILL cause mass murder in every theater in the country,” but it is suuuuuuuper frustrating that it did.

4. brendanmachow

not a doctor

Having tinges of vague working class struggle (minus mentions of the garbage strike or the slashed funding of public psych services) still mirror what we're dealing with today. In no way do I believe the root of this movie is a deconstruction of class, it's merely an element. For what it's worth, this is a comic film that wouldn't have caused this kind of discussion a handful of years ago (or even existed). It makes sense that Joker was released in our social climate now. Art will continue to mirror the world we live in whether done well or downright awful.

Joker is an origin story of a supervillain at its core and I wish I could've viewed it as such. It upsets me how the media and figureheads have poisoned the well. I enjoyed the film and feel like a hypocritical jerk having these kinds of discussions due to how painfully annoyed I was with the spectacle of fear. But here I am.

5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I had no idea of the shitstorm around this movie until after I viewed it. Definitely made a difference & allowed me to enjoy it as a dark, entertaining, origin story of a comic book character. It’s quite silly for me to see all of these big, complex debates about the movie’s ability to tackle complex themes or the “big messages” it was trying to send to us. Just seems laughable to expect all of that from a freaking comic book movie.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

well that high profile review came out before the films release and said it drew specifically from incel culture, and people fearing the worst thought that right wing shit may be present as accesory.

but apparently the film actually doesnt do any of this at all, thankfully.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. brendanmachow

not a doctor

You're lucky. How you avoided all the nonsense is beyond me. It was everywhere!

8. Kind of feels like people who were concerned are being invalidated.

9. justin. Oct 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 10, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I slightly enjoyed this a little more during the second viewing but, man, the film just feels incomplete without the Joker running into conflict with Batman.

It’s violence and messages are also still very vain.

10. StevenW92

Regular

Have you seen the movie? And if so do you think the scaremongering was valid?

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The problem is the creator thinks he’s saying something and making some profound intellectual piece of art.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I mean, I can honestly see how an incel could draw inspiration to and/or relate to this.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It was also given the Golden Lion. Trying to dismiss the validity of any and all criticism because of the broad genre or source material is such a played out tactic.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  14. StevenW92

Regular

This movie is so open ended that I’ve been thinking about it a bit. I really don’t know how much of the film was actually happening or how much of it was Arthur’s fantasy. I’ve kind of landed on everything after the fridge being fantasy. With Arthur picturing himself as a hero who will be supported for murdering a rich guy. His first delusion being the phone ringing to invite him on the show. I do feel like bits on the film could have been played in a different order as well.

The whole adoption bit confused me as well. He seems to suffer from similar delusions to his adopted mother.

15. StevenW92

Regular

What does he think he’s saying?

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah but you can say incels could draw inspiration/relatability from basically any of the legion of movies, books, songs, etc about lonely men.

17. These questions feel invalidating.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I know I would have liked this movie a lot more without the whole... everything surrounding it

19. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

That he’s some kind socially conscious genius for making an okay movie about a comic book villain

jkauf likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Doesn’t this have the specific thread of a creepy dude blaming women and POC for his problems or not being able to take a joke and understand his genius? The trailers certainly played up those aspects, but I haven’t seen a super detailed breakdown of that since it came out.

21. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Nope

chewbacca110 likes this.
  22. StevenW92

Regular

So no answer then?

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It wasn’t.

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

as long as we never have to endure a piece of media made by and for the alt right Ill be happy

25. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I’m not sure what exactly he thinks he’s saying, but I’m sure he thinks this is commentary on — or something of a deeper level pertaining to — mental health, society, class, politics, media, violence.

Aaron Mook and supernovagirl like this.