Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Because this has been marketed as a standalone thing that just happens to exist in its own version of the Batman universe decades before Batman is even a thing, so it's not necessary. And because there's no reason for it other than for a gratuitous wink and nod to the audience considering Bruce would be a child at the time this movie takes place.

Doomsday likes this.
  2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

But Rogue One was a stand alone and Vader at the end was incredible!

(I know, I know, I'm reaching)

aoftbsten and Davjs like this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

What if we don't get any Batman in the movie at all, but the last shot we see is the Bat Signal?

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  4. Anthony_

That'd be really weird considering Batman looks like he's 6 years old

5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

he’s like eight years old

6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The Joker himself is way more interesting to me than Batman, so if they're shoehorning Bruce Wayne as a kid into this movie, it might take away from what I was hoping was a character study of the Joker himself for a cheap wink at the audience.

coleslawed and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  7. Anthony_

Darth Vader has an actual place in that story though. It takes place literally right before a film in which he is in the very first scene. Seeing child Bruce Wayne isn't really necessary here.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

I mean like a time jump to where the Joker is the Joker we all know, like he's been at his game for years at this point. It may actually make for a little fun post credit.

9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, I know, like I said I was reaching lol.

But after reading all of your points, I totally get it

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Post credit scenes are the worst.

imthesheriff likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A 60-70 year old Joker going toe-to-toe with a trained ninja in body armor in the prime of his life would be quite a sight to see.

You know what, I changed my mind, I'm down for this post-credits scene now.

Henry, RyanPm40, coleslawed and 2 others like this.
  12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I could totally see old man Joker yelling at Batman to get off his porch

Davjs likes this.
  13. Anthony_

This is literally an Elseworlds Joker origin story as far as I'm concerned. A world where Batman and the Joker never face each other because the timeline doesn't match up. Maybe even a world where the Joker's terror spree inspires all of the other villains Batman eventually does face. Could even inspire Batman himself to take up the mantle of vigilantism. But that's all stuff for the audience to decide for themselves after this movie ends because it's a standalone story by design. Or at least that's what we've been led to believe. It should stay that way.

jkauf, Omni, coleslawed and 2 others like this.
  14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

100% agreed

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Another thought is that if it's him as a kid then people might think it's just a tiny scene that doesn't really matter overall but if that's the case, then just get rid of it!

16. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Things could have definitely changed if Phoenix really enjoyed this role but idk

17. Davjs

Trusted

I can dig that too. I don't want this to tie into any other movie or a Batman movie, even though ending with a time jump/bat signal would be fun to me. Kind of like if we never got a follow up to Batman Begins, the Joker card at the end of that movie was just a fun nod. I get everyone's points though on why it's not needed.

18. Anthony_

But what's the point of a time jump to end on the bat signal in a movie that's supposed to be about the Joker in a time when Batman is a young child? That's what we're getting at. It makes no sense to do anything like that.

The Joker card at the end of Batman Begins is totally different because those movies were about Batman and they were explicitly setting up the Joker as an antagonistic that Batman would be facing directly. That isn't possible here so a time jump about just Batman would be totally out of place.

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Like...I think this looks ok, don't really care about any of the superhero idiosyncrasies, but like...War Dogs is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Ditto Hangover 2 (Hangover 3 is secretly kind of great, fight me). If it wasn't for the cast I would have absolutely no interest in this, I think? I don't know. I'm very torn.

20. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed, I said your points make make sense to me. Fun doesn't have to make sense haha. Someone brought up Rouge One's Vader. Now, him using the Force like that doesn't make any sense as that's more Force Awakens fan service type stuff more than how the force was ever shown in the movies. It was just fun and people dug it. That's all I'm saying lol.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Vader used the force to torture/kill people throughout most the Star Wars movies, lol

Joe4th likes this.
  22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, the cast really sells this for me. Glad Zazie Beetz and Brian Tyree Henry are getting both the DC and Marvel checks.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  23. Davjs

Trusted

True, but never that extreme. Thinking about it now though, in the latest one they are flying through space with the Force though so who the hell knows anymore.

24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone else feel like they just saw a version of this movie with You Were Never Really Here?

aoftbsten likes this.
  25. Dog with a Blog

Hard to judge anything off a trailer cause of how manipulative they are but it looks really cool. Todd Phillips sucks tho so I’m can’t expect too much