Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joker (Todd Phillips, October 4, 2019) Movie • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 2, 2019.

1. It feels very disconnected from comic book movies, which I like. I only read Killing Joke once a long time ago, but it doesn't even feel beholden to that either.

2. Anthony_ Aug 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I don't trust Todd Philips to handle this kind of potentially sensitive material properly at all

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  3. GBlades

Trusted

I feel like that. Yes, it looks like a great movie but a great "Joker" movie; I don't know. I'll watch it though and remain impartial until then.

justin. likes this.
  4. DeRRek

Trusted

I’m keen for this. Can’t wait!

5. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

I liked the first trailer better cause it left it with more questions and eager. Now the story just looks meh and looks like 3/4 of the movie will just be build up and I feel like the payoff will be short and not as good as anticipated.

Jusscali likes this.
  6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is floating around online and I agree.

“That new Joker trailer has me feeling some type of way. The trailer seems to operate as--or at least seemingly lays the groundwork for--a kind of "justification" (rather than an explanation) for why white cisgender heterosexual males lash out violently against society.
    Not even 30 seconds into the trailer, and two Black women are presented as unhelpful, cruel, mean, angry, incompetent, bureaucratic, and negative when the white guy was only trying to be "nice and kind and seek help."
    Then the kids of color fuck with the white guy on the streets. (It seems for DC/Warner, "diversity" means "cast all the minorities/women as criminals or inconsequential underlings.")
    Then, you know, the rest of society starts to pile on, giving the aggrieved white guy ample reason to lash out and turn against it.
    Unsubstantiated rumor has it that in this version, The Joker is raped by his mother's boyfriend as a child, which provides the impetus for his descent--which provides ammunition for both anti-queerness and ableism. It's too much.
    I risk DC stans coming for my neck, but the trailer feels like a love letter to every white dude who has ever committed a massacre; who has ever shot up a church or a synagogue or a mosque or a school or a mall. Or a movie theater.
    Real talk: Ain't no way I'm going to see this film--especially not in some public theater. I legit don't feel like it's safe to do that. I feel like this film will dogwhistle to the Aggrieved White Man and inspire him to cause untold destruction.
    In this climate, which is warm and welcoming for white supremacist terror, I'm definitely sitting this one out, fam.”

7. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

a white director using a film plot to dog-whistle is unfortunately unsurprising.

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah just to reiterate

9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

10. tvck

Trusted

Damnit I was just about to post that lol

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I liked this idea better when it was The King of Comedy

CarpetElf and jkauf like this.
  12. DarkHotline

For real tho, this movie looks like the fantasy of every dude who wore a Guy Fawkes mask or spends all his time posting on /pol, just loud dog whistles about how white dudes are misunderstood. Yuck

CarpetElf and thenewmatthewperry like this.
  13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

‘Joker’: Robert De Niro Addresses the Connection Between His Character and ‘King of Comedy’

jkauf likes this.
  14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Knew it was going to be influenced and kind of draw from it, didn’t think it’d be so similar but we’ll see.

15. I feel like they could’ve saved time by just pasting a clown face on Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Jusscali and justin. like this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. DarkHotline

4C76014E-60B4-4688-A1E1-62F24FC87EC1.jpeg

Omni, CarpetElf, jorbjorb and 9 others like this.
  18. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

That’s essentially what it is...not all that novel.

Ken likes this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

DarkHotline likes this.
  20. DarkHotline

I’m seriously over Batman shit for a long while.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I want a new Batman film every year lol

jkauf likes this.
  22. DarkHotline

Why? Do you can watch a rich dude pretend he’s a cop?

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

What a deliberately dumb thing to say

justin. and Greg like this.
  24. DarkHotline

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

As much as I don't trust Todd Phillips and as much as I don't want to think about what this could possibly do for the fucked up incel culture already running rampant online, this looks cool and Phoenix is incredible so I'm interested. I'd rather just have him do a straightup King of Comedy style film without the Joker involved at all but whatever

coleslawed, CarpetElf and phaynes12 like this.