Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, October 18, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Jun 1, 2018.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don't really "enjoy" five or six showings of jews drawn as trolls or goblins. like, we get it the first time. plus, it being played for laughs, when it's a pretty offensive and hurtful stereotype kinda sucks. especially considering most of the nazis are cartoonishly underwritten (rebel wilson/"hitler") or are played for our sympathy (rockwell and scarjo). the more i type about it the more it makes me dislike it, so i'm going to stop lol

2. I was expecting something lighter and more absurd, but I'm kind of glad it didn't meet my expectations. I admire how it made me feel so many different feelings, so intensely, without being jarring tonally.

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  3. I wish ScarJo wasn't in this.

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I think she was the only thing I REALLY liked about this.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  5. She was fine in the movie, she's just said some really stupid things irl that I haven't let go of.

6. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

That's funny, I think she was the only thing that I didn't like. I would have preferred a different actress. I couldn't see her as a mother.

7. phaynes12

wait what

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol she is a mom

coleslawed and Mrplum5089 like this.
  9. stayillogical

Irrelevant. I just didn't like the role on her. I imagine someone better like Sally Hawkins in the Paddington movies, perfect amount of whimsy and motherliness.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the fact that Scar Jo sucks actually worked with the character, because Rosie really didn't do anything with Jojo except teach him about love but still drove him to Nazi meetings while being in the resistance, very true to life
    like Gwyneth Paltrow on The Politician

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  11. stayillogical

Real talk though, Thomasin McKenzie just upstaged everyone. She's one to look out for, like watching JLaw or Hailee Steinfeld when they first broke out.

Zilla, Lucas27, coleslawed and 4 others like this.
  12. phaynes12

she was great in leave no trace too

13. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I liked this a lot
    fave jokes were definitely the German shepherds and Yorki saying “I just keep not dying!”

ChaseTx, xapplexpiex, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  14. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I loved this. Thought the comedy was great and the more serious elements in the third act surprisingly didn't feel jarring to me

riotspray likes this.
  15. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

This was amazing!

16. Lucas27

Trusted

Just saw this. Wow. Honestly, I can immediately see this becoming one of my favorite movies and I was not expecting that.

17. Lucas27

Trusted

I was laughing on my way out of the theater because of this line. That kid. Every line was gold.

I also loved how funny the other two kids were. I can’t think of another movie like this with so many witty lines spoken by children.

mad likes this.
  18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, I loved this.

How dare ScarJo play two characters whose deaths made me wanna cry in one year.

SpyKi likes this.
  19. Lucas27

Trusted

Yeah, that tonal shift when Jojo is chasing the butterfly and finds his mother hit like a brick wall

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am watching this now

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I kinda liked this, while recognizing all of the valid criticism in here.

riotspray likes this.
  22. dlemert

Trusted

The German Shepherds joke was the hardest I've laughed at anything in...months? years?

Anyway, overall this movie was pretty good!

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

aoftbsten likes this.
  24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If Nathan died a year before the events of the film, why was Elsa drawing all these fantasies about ways to murder him?

I wanted to like this. Taika's always fun and the British kid was funny. Otherwise I thought it was pretty bad/toothless.

phaynes12 likes this.
  25. Lucas27

Trusted

I thought it was Elsa morbidly dwelling on all the ways he could’ve been killed as a form of mourning. Whatever the case, that scene must have been very concerning for you specifically.