Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joji - Nectar (September 25th, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ccsc918, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ccsc918 Apr 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2020)
    ccsc918

existing

2. MayaWalker

Just found out about Joji last night, liking what I'm hearing so far.

3. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Slow Dancing In the Dark is a JAM

Scoob likes this.
  4. brad4846

Regular

I really wish he’d put a presale up for some physical version, vinyl or cd

5. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

also this was pushed back to September 25th lol

6. ccsc918

existing

This is gonna be my AOTY

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Just leaked.

About to give this a good spin. BALLADS was one of my top 5 of 2018 so I'm looking forward to this.

beachdude likes this.
  8. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

I’ll hold off, only a few more hours until it’s 12am here anyway haha. I’m excited for this, he’s shown some maturity with these new singles.

beachdude likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He definitely saved the best for last. ‘Your Man’ may be one of his best songs.

The songs are good but I don’t agree on the way he ordered them.

beachdude likes this.
  10. ccsc918

existing

My god, this has 100% without a doubt been one of if not my favorite album listens ive ever experienced. I love every single song on this thing. My expectations were blown out of the water. I really have no words. Imo this is a 10/10.

Favorites include EW, TICK TOCK, Gimme Love, Sanctuary, Pretty Boy, Afterthought, Mr. Hollywood and Like You Do. Perfect record. For sure my AOTY

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Mr. Hollywood caught me off guard. It sounds very much like BALLADS but with everything up a notch.

I’m not sure if this album will convince people to listen to Joji, but it’s enough to assure his listeners that he can write.

12. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Turns out there’s a clean version on Spotify but only by listening through Release Radar, weird

13. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

I learned that the hard way lol

14. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Thoughts: the few songs after the singles drag a bit but once you start Afterthought, every song is a banger. Solid 8/10 on first listen.

Faves (outside of singles): Ew, Afterthought, Mr. Hollywood, 777, Like You Do, Your Man

beachdude likes this.
  15. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Okay hear me out. Your Man is great as is, BUT... it’s already somewhat of a departure from a lot of the album as a more bright, upbeat closer... he should’ve gone for it even more. I can imagine in my head that song fucking SOARING in the final minute or so and turning into a huge anthem, and in fact I was somewhat expecting it on first listen and was slightly let down when I realized the song had ended... I can single out the exact moment in the song where the “climax” could go, and the very ending could remain the same.

I know a big “drop” or whatever might go against a lot of his aesthetic/style, but sometimes I feel like huge moments like that are earned in the song, and this to me was one of those. Anyway lol, overall it’s a great album and this is a minor nitpick.

16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

^Never mind, ignore this :crylaugh: After letting the song sit with me more I think what I’m describing above actually isn’t necessary at all lol. This is why Joji is a successful songwriter and I’m not!

17. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

That stretch of songs from Afterthought to Your Man is on repeat all day for me

beachdude likes this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I find myself listening to second half more than the first half.

beachdude likes this.
  19. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I like this, just wrapped up my first listen.

20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This is fantastic. I really really liked BALLADS 1 but I always found myself thinking it was good but mainly shows a ton of potential, and I think this album met what I always thought Joji was capable of. Really great and diverse all the way through, he really stretches his vocals and the production is fantastic.

Between him, Rich Brian and NIKI I'm starting to become a fucking 88rising stan, they are absolutely killing it with some real quality projects lately. Always great visuals too

beachdude likes this.
  21. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Mr. Hollywood is making a fan, so is 777

beachdude likes this.
  22. Madmod

Lurking

Did any one watch the Extravaganza? It was.. fun??

23. Madmod

Lurking

This album in Dolby Atmos is a delight.

beachdude likes this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Taipei show

[​IMG]

25. WadeCastle

Trusted Supporter

late to the party on this album but i heard a song in shoresy (the letterkenny spin off show) and i shazzamed it and it was joji and yah this album is soo fuckin good! dude is extremely talented.