Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Johnny Foreigner Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by matthaber, Apr 25, 2016.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

ok everyone, their fifth LP is done being mixed, so its only a matter of time before we have that in our hands. Figured I'd start a thread now and get the hype going and hopefully introduce more people to what I consider the greatest band of all time.

Id try and describe their sound but I don't think it would do them any justice. While you can clearly hear their influences in some spots (any midwestern emo band, pavement), I've always thought they transcended genres in the way that no one really sounds like them at all.

I could honestly talk about this band for ages (started to right a post about them in the "albums that changed your life" thread but it became too long) so i'll just end this post now with a sample of some of their songs so this isn't filled with an essay on why I love them so much.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Their first record is real special to me

Me & My Arrow and matthaber like this.
  3. matthaber

Id say their first album is almost too good. It seems they were able to gain a lot of hype as a band when it came out, but were never able to really follow it up. They've been stuck in obscurity ever since then. They have a very dedicate group of fans, but have not been able to gain anymore since then sadly.

Its crazy though how well that album holds up. I've probably listen to it at least once a week for like 6/7 years now, and still haven't gotten bored of any songs.

4. cwhit

It was a year ago today (I think that was BWM fest last year, or at least it's this week last year) i first listened to it, haha. Love it so much

matthaber likes this.
  5. matthaber

The first time I ever heard them was when they opened for Los Campesinos! years ago and I walked away from their set completely shattered. I had never seen a human being play guitar like that before. Theres actually a youtube video from that toronto set and whenever I need a good cry I just watch it and crumble to nostalgia.

Have you checked out anything past that album yet? Cause I really do think the band shines the most on a lot of their EP's where they are a lot more stripped down.

6. cwhit

I have, just not too much, and it hasn't stuck with me as much. gotta listen more though

7. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

Johnny Foreigner Vs. Everything is their masterpiece

matthaber likes this.
  8. matthaber

i can get behind that statement. Pretty much showcases everything they can do as a band.

9. cwhit

10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSS

11. matthaber May 17, 2016
    (Last edited: May 17, 2016)
    matthaber

I have a special feeling about this album. The previews they have been posting on Instagram for past year have been incredible.

12. matthaber

as if i couldnt love this band anymore...

13. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Such a great band, I love everything have released to date. I can't wait for the new album, You Can Do Better was such and amazing album. Also I have so many JoFo t-shirts now it's getting ridiculous but god damn I love their designs.

matthaber likes this.
  14. matthaber

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo of something Johnny Foreigner related so in right there with you on loving their art style ahaha

15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

so I just started listening to this band last night and holy fuck where has this been all my life

16. matthaber

what album you start with??

Aregala likes this.
  17. Aregala Jul 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2017)
    Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I went with Vs. Everything which blew me out of the water. Such a staggering achievement. I've been bopping around here and there with some of their other albums, but it's mostly Vs. Everything that I keep coming back to, especially since it's such a recent obsession haha

18. matthaber

ahhh amazing. Vs. Everything is totally their "magnum opus". I find it pieces together literally everything they can do, acting as a perfect showcase of their sound/talents. Previous to that album it always felt like, the LP's is where they'd do their indie-power pop sound, then the EP's they would experiment with the more slowed down/bedroom pop tunes. VS. is the first time they were able to piece those two sounds together to make a perfect flowing album.

Glad someone was able to discover it recently, as its probably one of my all time fav albums.

Aregala likes this.
  19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I can honestly see it becoming one of THOSE albums for me, and I've only had it in my life for ~3 days, so I gotta try and not be hyperbolic lol

That's interesting what you're saying about Vs. Everything mixing the sound of the EPs and the first two LPs, which now after diving deeper into that stuff I completely agree with.

I know the debut is revered, but so far that's the one I've connected least to, but I'm sure that'll change over subsequent listens

matthaber likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

just bought Vs. Everything off an ebay auction lol

matthaber likes this.
  21. matthaber

the vinyl copy? The whole album was remastered for that release, and it sounds SO good

Aregala likes this.
  22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

yes! I couldn't find it anywhere and someone was selling it for $5 so I had to jump on that

23. RyanRyan

I live in the same city as these. Or at least I used to. Regularly bumped into Alex, and he sells merch at The Barclaycard Arena sometimes, so I’d often gush about his band to him whenever I’d be buying merch haha. Adore this band, and I will never be convinced Hennings Favourite isn’t their best song. In all the times I’ve seen them, they’ve only played it once. But it was brilliant. So sick to see people stateside enjoy them.

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

drummers!
    get!
    EVERYTHING!!!

25. RyanRyan

Their debut album slaps so fucking hard. Don’t know why it’s not on Spotify but remembered I had the CD thank god. Definitely my favourite of theirs still - as a whole

lettersandnumbers and Aregala like this.