Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Johnny Foreigner - Mono No Aware (July 8, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 21, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

matthaber likes this.
  2. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Excited, love these guys

3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I feel ashamed that I didnt make this thread. I absolutely love that cover though. I have a sense from all the previews I've heard this album will be a lot more aligned with the whole "emo revival" sound. Im also pretty sure it will be released on lame-o records over here, so hopefully they will get to tour North America with this album.

4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

holyyyyy shit

5. cwhit

i know you saw that post too! hahaha. gave you some time.
    really begging for a US tour, also need a reissue of the first record pleaseeee

matthaber likes this.
  6. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

seeing them live again would be so wonderful

7. matthaber

last time they were in Toronto the show was unbelievable, it was in an incredibly small space but their toronto fans are crazy. They ended up crashing at my apartment as well, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

The first time I ever listened to American Football (and subsequently got into a lot of this scene) is cause their drummer mentioned them to me. I feel like I owe so much to this band ahah.

8. matthaber

throwing this in here for anyone who hasn't heard them before and want a taste:

9. matthaber

"
    Johnny Foreigner is our band and Mono No Aware is our fifth studio album. We’re 10 years old this autumn. Not like, indieband 10 years where the first year is the only good album and the tenth is the reunion tour playing that album. 10 years of writing and playing and long-haul flighting and being a mostly happy mostly functional not completely unsuccessful brokeass working cottage industry/mobile entertainment unit. And it counts for absolutely nothing. That’s the magic of music innit; yr ears and heart give not one fuck for experience or actual skill. Sure, we can use those resources in a whole bunch of ways to try convince you that this next record is The One, but if it doesn’t connect on a more primal level, well, we’ve failed.

I am waaay too emotionally invested to tell you objectively if this next record is awesome or a failure. Or worse, somewhere in the middle. I hope you’ll take some integrity from that statement, and that we’re not paying someone to write hyperbolic bs that would include the terms “legacy” or “maturing” or “still capable of..” I hope by now all of that was obvious. This isn’t a construct. It’s not even a lifestyle choice these days. It’s part of us. Johnny Foreigner is Us, the musical. We’re not the type of band to spin our personal delights and disasters into PR angles, but it’s all there in what we create. There’s births and marriages and drama and death. The casual horror you somehow just get used to in your 30s, and the moments of bliss and clarity you don’t (and hope you never do). As portrayed by 4 friends determined not to let all manner of acquired loved ones down. It’s definitely the most acute pressure we’ve felt, to go make art good enough to justify continually juggling our burgeoning families and tenuously stable lives with the now involuntary compulsion to go sing songs about it all in darkened rooms for days on end.

I can say, we’re happy with it. So happy. Beyond thunderdome. It has the colours we wanted, it sounds rough and produced in all the respective proper places, the symmetry works and the mountains of actual artwork fit perfectly. It feels…right. Some projects we do are hollywood montage smooth; we plan the thing, we do the thing, we celebrate. And some are like going into a cave for three months and emerging victorious clutching a severed demons head as proof. This was mostly the latter. It wasn’t clean or easy. It couldn’t have been, really. But it was a righteous kill. We are fucking proud to finally show it off, and proud of being Johnny Foreigner in 2016, and I guess that’s what this record is about.

x alexei

Is this a bit extra? tldr:"

10. matthaber

there are two release shows happening at the beginning of July so we might be getting this very soon. Album will be released on lam-o-records in NA.

cwhit likes this.
  11. matthaber

July 8th, 2016 official release date . I can't even right now. 2 months ago they had an interview where they said the lead up to the album would be long with multiple singles released in advance, guess they threw that plan out the window lol. I won't complain.

12. cwhit

sick sick

13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

can't hardly wait

14. matthaber

holy fuck this is good.

15. matthaber

16. heroseforhigher

First single is so good. Can't wait to hear the other. Want to order the poster but I'm in the US so shipping is gona suck. Gotta wait/save to order the album. They're easily 1 of my top 3 bands along with Los Campesinos! sucks ppl in the states don't care much for either.

matthaber likes this.
  17. matthaber

Shipping on the poster 3 pounds to canada, so it wasnt to bad. also new LC! album coming soon as well. 2016 is the year of dreams.

18. cwhit

the singles is up on apple music

19. matthaber

tracklist:

01. Mounts Everest
    02. Undevastator
    03. I can show you the way to Grand Central
    04. The X and The O
    05. Don't, Just Don't
    06. Our Lifestyles Incandescent
    07. The Worst of Us
    08. Into the Veldt
    09. If you can't be honest, be awesome
    10. Cliffjumper
    11. Decants the Atlantic

Japanese Edition Bonus Tracks:

12. A good man is hard to find
    13. All yr favourite bands are dead
    14. Flooding

Love how theres an Undeveastor to mirror the last track on You Can Do Better

20. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Stoked for this, love JoFo and You Can Do Better was a hell of an album so my hopes for this are high.

21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

surprise, this album is super fucking good!

matthaber likes this.
  22. matthaber

The one week wait to hear this is going to be the end of me.

edit: i think this leaked.... low key freaking out right now.

23. cwhit

is the leak shitty sounding? sounded worse than usual on my phone

24. matthaber

yeah its pretty shitty, aside from sound quality the download i have has tons of skipping in it. probably wont listen to this leak again past this first listen.

edit: the skipping might just be my computer , not sure tbh.

25. matthaber

"Out Lifestyles Incandescent" has me absolutly floored. What a fucking song.