Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Nolan - Abendigo (November 2, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

teebs41 and Larry David like this.
  2. Colin Your Enthusiasm

3. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

It is not as loud as me.

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Really good. Must listen for any TBS or Straylight fan.

5. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i love all the extended instrumental stuff between tracks

6. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also all of these songs are so good but "smiling and alive" is a huge gut punch

7. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

sorry i keep posting about how good this album is but THIS ALBUM IS SO GOOD

teebs41, Mélange, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  8. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Gonna check this out in a bit, I loved the singles so I have high hopes.

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I don't recall ever hearing John say the word 'Fuck' before. I listened to this album this morning during breakfast and was pleasantly surprised. Good tuneage. Makes me excited for the next TBS album.

beachdude, teebs41 and Gnarly Charlie like this.
  10. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Smiling and Alive is the best. Demo-era Straylight Run vibes.

11. Mustache_Band

I haven't finished this yet, but I like it. Definitely my favorite solo record so far.

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

WOW this album is fuckin good

beachdude, Drewski, Mélange and 3 others like this.
  13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Yeah I def enjoyed this one can't wait to see how it holds up in the long run.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  14. irthesteve

Some interesting tidbits in his AMA today:

My name is John Nolan, I'm a member of the band Taking Back Sunday I'm also a solo artist and former member and co founder of the band Straylight Run I recently put out my third solo album Abendigo and will be touring the US in support of it November 6-30. : Music

" The intro to Half A Block was written while TBS was recording Home Coming. I took that melody for the “I’m Coming Home” part but then I still had those lyrics and melodies that I wanted to use for myself. I thought I could get away with it. I actually played the guys the music for Half A Block during the Tidal Wave sessions but it was jut instrumental at that point and we were at the very end of recording so it didn’t make the cut."

"Michelle and I haven’t worked on any new material since Straylight. Now that we both have little kids and live in different states it’s pretty difficult. You never know when it might happen again though. "

"When I was on tour with Dashboard and Saosin we had an impromptu accapala jam session every night with a revolving group of people. It was super hippy stuff and we recorded on our phones but never went further. We called the group Fucking Whatever."

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Damn. I'm excited to hear Straylight songs live of course, that's why I initially was going to this show, but now I'm looking forward to several songs from this as well.

beachdude, Mélange and irthesteve like this.
  16. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The opener on this is just towering. Like what Brand New might have progressed to in 2018 if they'd stayed on a more straight trajectory.

17. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Wowzers I love this record after a few listens. A nice variation in sound between the heavier rock songs, poppy tunes, and slow tracks. Also as a die hard TBS fan its really cool to hear John's influence in all their reunion records shine through on this.

18. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

This album is amazing. I’m blown away.

19. Mustache_Band

I'm starting to fall in love with this record.

irthesteve likes this.
  20. Mélange

Regular

I'm a huge John Nolan fan, and, even though I was surprised how loud his set opening for The Honorary Title was, I did NOT see this coming.

Based on his output the past few years, I fully expected this to be a "solid but unspectacular" singer-songwriter type album, more in the vein of Half a Block to Go. Not that there's anything wrong with that... it just wouldn't have been exciting.

This album is much more dynamic than anything I could have expected (aforementioned track excluded ha)... and that opener?! Stunner.

teebs41 likes this.
  21. irthesteve

DO YOU REMEMBER??????

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I only listened to this once but I really liked it. Can’t wait to play it again

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Playing now, loving it

24. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

He was awesome tonight. Having Michelle on hand for all the Straylight songs was really special.

25. irthesteve

is she on the whole tour?!?!?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.