Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 14, 2016.

1. vidiviciveni Sep 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2016)
    vidiviciveni

Trusted

All I'm getting from Continuum is a more distinct blues and guitar vibe, not necessarily better or more diverse songwriting.

Really digging "Vultures" though.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Idk, I think the songwriting is definitely better and more diverse on there. I also like the vibe more than any of his other albums.

3. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'd love to hear him explore more sounds like on Bigger Than My Body, or Home Life. Very atypical even for him.

That said, that I'm a John Mayer fan at all is prettymuch a win for him. He's fairly reviled in my musical circles and I give no cares, he's a fantastic writer and performer. Full credit to several ex-girlfriends on that one.

4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

jordanjohnson09 likes this.
  5. SpyKi

yo hype. Wonder if the album's coming late 2016 or early 2017.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I would guess the latter, but it could also be a holiday release.

7. SpyKi

either way I'm very excited.

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm just stoked that it's pretty much in sight now

9. Craig Manning

Yep, no matter when it comes, I'm ready. Feels like the wait has been exceptionally long this time.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  10. JohnR831

Regular

For sure! I'm also interested in how his involvement with Dead and Co may have influenced the album. I know he started the album before joining them, but I wonder if that had an impact on how he finished it.

11. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

christmastime would be cool

12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Very interested to hear new Mayer.

13. Craig Manning

I'm guessing he'll keep it pretty separate. Unless he gets some of those guys to play on this record, which would be interesting.

JohnR831 likes this.
  14. JohnR831 Oct 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2016)
    JohnR831

Regular

True. I was thinking more along the lines of his playing style. I mean I know he was a masterful player before joining them, but I think it was still a different kind of challenge that was a bit outside of what he had done before. I'm just curious if that informed any his upcoming stuff. We shall see.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Honestly? There is no way it doesn't. Maybe not overtly, but he's definitely a different/evolved player now. It's impossible not be after playing what 50 shows with that band.

JohnR831 likes this.
  16. SpyKi

He did say he purposefully wanted to stop writing halfway through the album so he could back with new experience after the Dead shows.

17. Craig Manning

I thought I read the album was mostly done before he even started those shows.

18. SpyKi

The interview I read, that was done just before he started, said he had enough material for an album but only about half of it that he was really attached to so he considered it about half done and was hoping to write the other half after playing some shows. I think he said a similar thing happened when he wrote Continuum, how he had some of those songs written and then he started playing with the Trio and it informed the rest of the album.

19. Craig Manning

I read that he was in the midst of recording, so I thought he'd gone beyond the writing phase. But yeah, I'm sure he's written new songs since and will probably go back and tweak some of what he had. I'm definitely intrigued to hear what it sounds like, in any case.

JohnR831 likes this.
  20. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

i want a d&c live album official release so bad. would be huge

21. SpyKi

Yeah, I think he had those songs recorded, or at least partly recorded. Likewise.

22. Craig Manning

Has he ever said which Continuum songs were written before and after he started playing with the trio? I would be interested to know that.

23. SpyKi

I think he's named a few before but I can't recall which ones.

24. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I'm so ready for this album, but won't really let myself get excited until we have a single and a release date.

25. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I'd imagine it's the ones he played with the Trio, right?