Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 14, 2016.

1. John Clayton Mayer (born October 16, 1977) is an American singer-songwriter and producer. He was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and raised in nearby Fairfield. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts, but disenrolled and moved to Atlanta, Georgia, in 1997 with Clay Cook. Together, they formed a short-lived, two-man band called Lo-Fi Masters. After their split, Mayer continued to play local clubs—refining his skills and gaining a following. After his appearance at the 2001 South by Southwest Festival, he was signed to Aware Records, and then Columbia Records, which released his first EP, Inside Wants Out. His following two full-length albums—Room for Squares (2001) and Heavier Things (2003)—did well commercially, achieving multi-platinum status. In 2003, he won the Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for the single "Your Body Is a Wonderland".

2. Greg Robson

gregrobson.net Moderator

I really like to support musicians who are just solid, good people. John Mayer however is one of those exceptions. Much like Ryan Adams, his discography has a magnetism that I continue to revisit, regardless of what horrible things they might say or do. Sometimes art is complex like that.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Seems from what I've seen that Mayer has made big strides in humility and decency over the last few years. He was on a streak of saying stupid shit for awhile there, though.

4. Yeah he really was. Made it hard to even give two shits about what he was doing and disassociate the two. But it does at least seem like he has been working on himself and not doing that kind of shit, he seemed regretful and gave better apologies than you usually see.

5. Craig Manning

And he actually ditched the Hollywood lifestyle and made good on his promise to stay away. I think he's better for it, and I think his last couple records reflect that. Very intrigued to see what he'll do next.

6. Yeah, he seems more grounded if that makes sense in recent interviews.

I really liked Born and Raised, the follow-up never stayed with me in the same way, but I am very intrigued by his next one as well. I wonder what direction he'll go. I want an album of "Submarine" like songs.

7. Same page.

8. Craig Manning

There are days when Born and Raised is my favorite album of his. The follow-up had some good songs, but was kind of just a "bonus" or whatever. It seemed rushed and thrown together because it was. I'd love an album of more story-based songs from him, though. That would be very interesting to hear.

9. Greg Robson

gregrobson.net Moderator

I agree with you to a point, but even when he was in Montana he was dating Katy Perry. That's not really ditching the Hollywood lifestyle and seeking humility. Someone seeking humility and decency doesn't date a pop star, they date a librarian. But maybe I'm just overly critical.

Also, I'd love love love an album of story-based songs, a la "Submarine." However, I think either Jason or Keagan had a tweet from him in Slack that said he's doing another album more aligned with Continuum. That's definitely cool, but not what I was hoping for. I really liked his rootsy side. He wore it well. Born and Raised is phenomenal and easily one of his best, if not his, best. Paradise Valley was hit and miss. Some gems, some throwaways.

10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I think that's a bit too critical. I don't think someone should have to not see someone they're interested in just because of their level of fame.

Continuum is still easily my favourite of his so I'm excited for him to go back to more of that sound but honestly I haven't been too into the little clips he's been showing off.

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

He's been on fire with albums for awhile, but Continuum is the kind of special most artists never quite replicate.

Serh likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Dead & Co baby

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Everything I'm hearing about his upcoming album (mainly here) has me stoked

14. atlas

Trusted

I feel comfortable calling John Mayer my favorite guitarist in the world. Man, he's incredible.

15. Lucas27

Trusted

Huge John Mayer fan. I think my favorite album changes depending on my mood. I love "Room For Squares" for the nostalgia kick, "Born & Raised" is easily my favorite stylistically, and I think "Continuum" is his best record musically even though I don't love classic/blues rock as much.

Only album I don't like is "Battle Studies". Bleh.

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Watched a bit of Dead & Co. at MSG last night. The more I watch Mayer with them, the more excited I am for his new solo stuff.

17. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I love Continuum forever and always

a nice person likes this.
  18. Craig Manning

19. andrwzz

Nobody likes you when you're 23

Continuum is a music Masterpiece. Really got into him when Born and Raised came out, great to listen to during this summer days. I like his whole diversity and changes on each album

20. Craig Manning

Continuum is 10 years old today, which is pretty crazy to me. I wrote about it for the milestone:

John Mayer – Continuum

21. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Perhaps I haven't listened closely enough to Continuum.

I can put Heavier Things on repeat for days, in fact Daughters is the only song I don't enjoy on that album - Clarity, Home Life, Split Screen Sadness, Come Back To Bed, Wheel, Something's Missing - all excellent tunes.

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Continuum is still easily his best. So much love for that album.

23. jordanjohnson09

Regular

there are pretty much the exact same thoughts I have about Heavier Things. Continuum is good, but I was never really on the hype train.

24. Craig Manning

Heavier Things is great, but Continuum is on another level from a songwriting and musicality perspective.

25. JohnR831

Regular

Continuum takes me right back to my last year of high school. As soon as I hear those beginning notes from "I Can't Trust Myself," I'm immediately transposed to that time. From "Belief" to "Slow Dancing," so many masterpieces on that album. My first time seeing him live was the summer after this album came out (not long after graduation). I've seen seen him three times since, and can't wait to again!