Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer - The Search for Everything (2017) Album • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 17, 2016.

1. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

He said something about how he's not going to do an album right now, he's just going to release songs. I'm totally ok with that, but I would like a new album at some point. I can wait.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ugh. Artists saying stuff like this is the “we’re pivoting to video” of the music industry. They all seem to think the way to “crack the code” with modern mainstream music is to embrace a singles-focused release strategy, when really the issue is that the artists in question no longer make music that appeals to mainstream audiences. I think Mayer just needs to accept that he’s in a different career phase now and focus on songwriting craft. This song certainly shows that he has the chops, but I worry it will get lost in the shuffle if it’s not anchored to an album.

morken, Jeff, anonimito and 2 others like this.
  3. zmtr

Trusted

anonimito and JulieLynn like this.
  4. JulieLynn

Then you don't know him as well as you thought.

the man has changed a lot and I think it has to do a lot with touring with The Grateful dead and he's been sober for 2 years. He's 41, single and no kids...the man can do whatever he wants lol.

5. Craig Manning

Of course he can do whatever he wants. But I don't think it's going to have the outcome that he's after.

6. JulieLynn

Not to be a pain, but I don't think he cares that much at the moment. Who knows, that could change come the first of the year. The whole world is in a funk and minds and feelings are changing like wild fire. I'm sure that at some point, he will be ready to write that record and blow our fucking minds.

7. JulieLynn

[​IMG]

quietwords likes this.
  8. JulieLynn

[​IMG]

9. radiodead

Trusted

Continuum is the ROTM at VMP

manoverboard365 likes this.
  10. manoverboard365

Trusted

One of my favorite albums in my collection

anonimito likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

I love Continuum and I love Vinyl Me Please (I've written for them a few times) but man, I wish VMP would focus more on pressing stuff that's never been released on vinyl/is super rare, rather than putting out albums that are already readily available. There are so many classics from the '90s and 2000s that are just impossible to find. Continuum is a perfect record, but you can find it just about anywhere.

12. radiodead

Trusted

Well they also announced Spiritualized- Ladies and Gentlemen is their September ROTM and a great pressing of that is about as white whale as it gets. (For me)

sandwiched in between is Buena Vista Social Club. An amazing record (cut by Grundman)

Also I am actually swapping out Continuum. Not really my thing but I knew it was a big thing on this website. Wanted to pass it on. It’s got alternate cover art that’s pretty cool.

13. Craig Manning

Yeah, I’m sure what they choose to press appeals to some preferences a lot more than mine. It’s just that whenever they get something I care about, it seems to be a record that’s already readily available.

That’s actually the cover that is standard for the vinyl. This pressing looks pretty similar to mine, beyond being colored vinyl and not having the bonus track.

radiodead likes this.
  14. dallasc

Trusted

Been back on a huge Mayer kick lately listening to and playing all his shit and I really really enjoy this album more than I did when it came out. SFLYM, Helpless, In the Blood, Moving On and Getting Over, Rosie all excellent songs.

Need a new album soon

btr, beachdude and SpyKi like this.
  15. Craig Manning

Remember when this album was going to be 48 songs?

Matt Chylak, morken, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I can't believe it's been so long since this came out. I hope he has a new album coming soon, was revisiting Heavier Things and Continuum the other day and I just love his songwriting so much. "Wheel" hit on a whole new level.

dallasc and beachdude like this.
  17. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

April?

dallasc and beachdude like this.
  18. dallasc

Trusted

Clarity is such a perfect springtime song.
    Walking my dog with it in the headphones right now >>>

SpyKi likes this.
  19. btr

Trusted Supporter

Gotta be something coming soon since he’s performing at the Grammy’s with no new material as of late

20. Craig Manning

He's performing with Maren Morris, so I think it's going to be one of her songs.

beachdude and btr like this.
  21. SpyKi Mar 14, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2021)
    SpyKi

this is a fun watch and sounds promising in terms of what he's working on. I'd love to sit down and chat to him about his stuff and what I'd like from a John Mayer show lol.

also he mentions new stuff might be heard in April?

anonimito and beachdude like this.
  22. SpyKi

I think he's gonna drop a clip of the single.

beachdude and anonimito like this.
  23. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

The clip from the new single on his tiktok sound fucking great. Loving the vibe.

TikTok

anonimito likes this.
  24. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Sounds like the theme to an 80s TV Show

morken likes this.
  25. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

morken likes this.