Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer - The Search for Everything (2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 17, 2016.

1. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

That's kind of reminesent of Ryan Adams single series. But 48 songs! This could be awesome!

2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

That's great, gives him a chance to branch out and make some real varied tunes.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Gwen

11:11 // Resident Queen Prestigious

Holy shit, wow. As long as they're all "Love on the Weekend" quality, I'm optimistic

4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

theres no way all 48 songs are gonna be up to that quality. its gonna be annoying having to sift through that many to pick out the good ones...but whatever floats his boat

5. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Definitely a smart way to release music in 2017.

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

How/why?

7. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Such great news. Love this idea.

8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

new Mayer every month will save 2017

9. Matt Chylak

Essentially, he'll have new material to release outside of a traditional "album cycle" style of promotion, which is outdated in 2017.

Calling them all the same project will bump streams on the earlier tracks when a new wave drops. This will bump his streaming numbers on older songs from TSFE and give earlier songs a renewed chance to "stick" with fans on repeat listens. It'll also encourage people to add more individual tracks to their playlists.

austingordon likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

So what's the bet on a physical release for this? Probably a vinyl box set eventually?

Matt Chylak likes this.
  11. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

Pretty much identical to what Sleeping At Last did with the Yearbook series, and that's one of my favorite collections of music ever. Very cool thought process.

12. Spazzy McGee

Regular

I dig it, bring on the tunes!

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Would be pretty sweet. Expensive and pretty sweet.

14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Please don't be 48 songs. I don't need 48 songs. Just release the best 12-16. No artist is good enough to release to 48 great songs and the perfectionist within me will want them all regardless.

This smacks of a worrying lack of quality control.

sophos34 likes this.
  15. Even if everything is as good as "Love on the Weekend", it's still just too much, haha. I'm assuming people will just pick one or two songs from each month, and then at the end of year make a playlist/mix CD of the best ones to make a solid 12-16 song album, which is definitely what I'd do.

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Could potentially do kind of what Biffy Clyro did with the double album and release a more concise version that perhaps contains just the best received tracks.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  17. Gwen

11:11 // Resident Queen Prestigious

Ehhhhhh...strongly disagree there...we wouldn't have gotten White Album or Mellon Collie if we just cut it down to the "best 12-16". And John more than qualifies as the type of artist who could get away with something like this. Even if I don't really like the genre (like his last album or two), the quality of all of this songs has been top notch.

18. Craig Manning

I mean, four new songs a month isn't that much, all things considered. I'd be more worried if he were releasing all of them at once, and even then I'd be most concerned about just not being able to digest them all. Of all the studio albums Mayer has released, there are probably like...two or three songs I don't really care for? Maybe?

He also hasn't released anything for almost three and a half years and has probably been writing for that entire time. And he put his album on hold when he went on tour with Dead & Company, which means his musical inspiration has probably shifted a fair amount in that time as well.

I'm sure not every song will be golden, but I'd bet on a pretty solid batting average for this.

Schooner, austingordon, Gwen and 3 others like this.
  19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah, even if only half of them are good (I'm guessing I'll like more than half) that's 24 new John Mayer songs to add to his already fantastic catalog. If you only want to make a playlist of the best 12-16 then that's cool, you can do that but I'd bet if we all did that at the end of the year, they wouldn't all be the same. This way everyone gets to hear all of the music and decide for themselves what songs they love. Some may only get a normal albums worth, but some people might love all 48 songs.. Why should he limit his output just because some people think it's too much?

FTank, beachdude42 and nl5011 like this.
  20. Matt Chylak

Don't forget--dude hasn't released music in three years. He's definitely got gas in the tank.

Edit:
    Oops Craig already said this.

Let's all commit to making a twelve-track album listing in December! Should be great fun.

SpyKi, Craig Manning and beachdude42 like this.
  21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Whilst I get this, even Mellon Collie is only 28 songs, which is basically half the length.

Don't get me wrong, I'll listen to them all, I just feel like it's going to be very off putting to newer listeners and I can imagine at least a third of the tracks will be kind of weak.

sophos34 likes this.
  22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I wish Gerard Way or Nate Ruess would put out 48 songs in one year.

23. Matt Chylak

I wish any of my favorite artists did it. There's no such thing as too much good music, especially when it's spaced out like John is doing.

Schooner and Craig Manning like this.
  24. Craig Manning

I don't think Mayer is just going to start writing one-third bad songs. Dude has never been that inconsistent. His weakest stuff has typically been radio singles or covers and I doubt we'll be seeing much in the way of either throughout this project.

25. It would be awesome if he did one of the monthly EPs, or whatever he's calling them, with Bob Weir, Kreutzmann and Hart. Throw in Phil, as well.