Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer - The Search for Everything (2017) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

At this point, I 100% believe that this was thrown together as a way to promote the tour. He realized he wasn't going to have studio time the rest of the year and couldn't complete the song drop release method.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. zmtr

Trusted

One of my favorite songs ever. Just stumbled across this cover of it. He kills it.

3. mpflight38

Saw John last night in Copenhagen. First time seeing him live in 10 years, boy was I missing out. Enjoyed the format of the show with the full band, acoustic, and trio sets. The trio was the best part of the show imo...by far. I would die to see the three of them do an exclusive tour again, one can only dream

4. So this album tanked :-/

Onlyadirector likes this.
  5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm not surprised after how awkwardly it was released. I'm still pretty disappointed and sour about this album despite enjoying most of it. it's probably my least favourite of his as a whole.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I thought about this the other day and wondered what it would have been like if he had just kept releasing waves. I don't think that was an ideal strategy, but it would have been better than what ended up happening. What a botched release in every way. I still probably like the record (or at least my re-sequenced version) better than Paradise Valley.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

If he kept releasing waves we would have had 28 songs by now. That would have been way better, haha.

8. Craig Manning

If only...

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think he really thought he had a hit with Still Feel Like Your Man.

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Wasn't their a rumour of more songs later this year?

11. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Tour seems to be doing pretty well, at least

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm just surprised none of the songs made it as singles. I woulda expected Love on the Weekend, Moving On, and Still Feel Like Your Man to make it on the radio.

13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think Mayer's reign as a MOR pop-rock artist got usurped by the Shawn Mendes/Ed Sheerans of the world. I imagine that super weird rollout for TSFE didn't help.

14. Craig Manning

"In the Blood" actually got a little play on country radio. I think that's the only one I heard.

15. quietwords

It is still on the Billboard 200 (at 173).

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Helpless is a jam, so is Moving On and Getting Over. I understand the release method was a little deflating but this album is great, and classic John Mayer.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I'm still waiting for him to release more John Mayer Trio type stuff. His more aggressive playing and blues songs are what got me into to him to begin with because it really highlighted what makes him so great. 'Where The Light Is' is one of my all time favorite live albums/DVDs and 'Try!' is in my top 10 of all time.

18. Tried to get through the album again today, hoping it would click ... failed. I really don't like it.

19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

There are songs on the album I really love and I don't think any are bad, but it just doesn't feel like an album. There's nothing tying the songs together.

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

This album made me realize that Paradise Valley isn't so bad after all.

I still like a decent amount on the new album, though.

21. Same. Been a huge fan - and gave this many tries over many months. It feels like he forced himself to write an adult contemporary record, which isn't a terrible idea for JM - but the quality of the songs just isn't quite there.

I know there's the potetntial for a killer album - he's just gotta find the right groove.

beachdude42 and Jason Tate like this.
  22. dallasc

Trusted

I will say the songs from this album that he did at the Sac show last week were great live, he tears the solos on Helpless to bits.

Also was super cool to see him/Bob Weir do Knockin' on Heaven's Door

23. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Put this on this morning. It paired nicely with the cooler weather, and the few month wait has helped diminish the frustration at the rollout. I actually think I like it a lot. Not on the level of Continuum or Heavier Things or Born and Raised, but definitely some good good work.

24. quietwords

"Summer bop drop imminent"

New song coming out soon? I'll always be down to check out new Mayer, even if the last album was... average?