Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Mayer – Continuum • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Most people are the opposite of that, haha. I love both, but I think this is the stronger record overall.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Really nice write-up, Craig. You captured did a good job capturing what made John's transition into blues so unexpected and thrilling.

This is actually pretty fortuitous timing as I've been on a bit of a Mayer kick lately. Spent some time with Paradise Valley last weekend for the first time in a year and the songs really hold up, especially with those last three creating an end-of-summer feel. Tonight I'm playing Battle Studies, which has really bounced around a lot in my estimation of his records. Beautiful songs, but the underutilization (imo) of his lead guitar on BS bothered me after I'd spent three years telling all my friends he was my favorite guitarist.

3. Craig Manning

Paradise Valley is always the record I rank last of his stuff in my head, but a lot of those songs do hold up really well. Agreed that the last few songs are great for the end of summer. I really like how it starts with sort of a beginning of summer song with "Wildfire" and then closes out with "On the Way Home."

Battle Studies is an interesting one, because it has some of my favorite guitar work from him, on songs like "Edge of Desire" and "Perfectly Lonely," and then doesn't use it much in a lot of other places. It also just kind of sounds like the record that should have come after Heavier Things, rather than being after Continuum. I like it a lot, but it was definitely a step down. Still, a wonderful nighttime record.

4. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Like all the great guitarists, his live material is so good!
    The solos on gravity and don't trust myself from Where the light is are just phenomenal. Out of my mind is just nuts.

I had a chance to see him after battle studies came out, and it was to this day the best concert experience I've had.

Will Montei likes this.
  5. SnarlingandStarryEyed

Great article about a great album that I still listen to front to back. I remember buying this cd, because I really actually loved Room for Squares and I never bought his Sophomore, so I thought I'd give this one a chance and it stuck to me so hard. I was 21 when Continuum was released and now I'm 31 and so much more of those songs hit me right in the gut a lot harder than they used to. Things I thought I'd never get over, I got over through some of those songs, particularly I'm gonna find another you and Dreaming with a broken heart. John Mayer is definitely a questionable, shitty person when it comes to relationships, but fuck, he really knows how to write about them.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

This is an amazing write up Craig.

Going to throw this on right now (after Born & Raised) ;-)

7. Craig Manning

Thanks! Born & Raised is definitely my second favorite. I really loved the change of direction for that album. He can make a folk record whenever he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

SpyKi likes this.
  8. Lucas27

Trusted

I think it just happens to have all my least favorite aspects of John Mayer's music and lyrics. It has the blues-y sound that initially turned me off of Continuum, but not done as well ("Perfectly Lonely", "All We Ever Do is Say Goodbye", and "Friends, Lovers, or Nothing" just don't do much for me). I also felt like the lyrics perpetuated the douchiness that people projected on John Mayer at the time (especially "Heartbreak Warfare" which I love musically) and ultimately discredited how great of a songwriter he is in a lot of people's eyes. I mean, the musicianship is still stellar and the songwriting is still great, it just didn't stick out to me musically and the lyrics did next to nothing for me. And it came at the low point of his career (reputation wise, not success wise).

Songs like "Stop This Train," "Heart of Life," "Why Georgia," "3x5" and the majority of Born and Raised all really resonate with me and nothing on Battle Studies hit me the same way. I wouldn't call it a dip because the songwriting and musicality is still great, I just don't love it.

9. Craig Manning

That makes sense. It's definitely a cut above Continuum and Born and Raised from a lyrical standpoint. Felt like he didn't have as much to say, or at least as much that was unique. It's more of a standard breakup album, which I still enjoy. Plus, "Edge of Desire" is just one of my favorite songs of his.

Lucas27 likes this.
  10. Lucas27

Trusted

I will say "Edge of Desire" is probably my favorite on that record.

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Battle Studies got me into him so I may be slightly biased towards it but I love that album a lot. Pretty close to B&R for me honestly.

12. Craig Manning

There's a lot I love about it. I don't think it's quite as wall to wall fantastic as his best work though. In particular, I think the "Crossroads" cover is very out of place.

13. SpyKi

Yeah Crossroads is kind of lame and out of place but other than that I love every song on there.

14. Craig Manning

I'll forever wish the "I'm on Fire" cover was in its place.

15. SpyKi

I don't think I like that very much either, ha. I've only listened like once or twice though.

16. Craig Manning

It's a pretty decent cover of a great song and would fit the record a lot better.