Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John K. Samson - Winter Wheat (October 21, 2016) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Moving down to Florida at the end of September and I see there is a Gainesville date - I may have to venture out for that.

'Virtute at Rest'
    "From the perspective of Virtute the cat, resurrected in the brain of her recovering human companion."

Yup, still destroys me. Kind of a given with any of the Virtute songs, but I still can't make it through 17th Street Treatment Centre and Virtute at Rest without the water works turning on.

h8bit, Barcara and Turkeylegz like this.
  2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I've only listened to Virtute at Rest twice because it made me so sad. I love that album, though and still listen often.

Barcara likes this.
  3. Barcara

Regular

John played a show in Halifax, backed by a bunch of Halifax boys, and played a 19 song set with 14 of those songs being Weakerthans songs.

A write-up on it. What I would do to see Fire Door again.

E: This article references setlist.fm as a resource, but I can't find the set on there. Strange.

4. Battery

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Went and saw John open up for Craig Finn last night. I never got a chance to see The Hold Steady or The Weakerthans back in the day, so I've been really looking forward to this show since this may be the closest I ever get to either.

Highlight of the show for me was John playing all of the Virtute songs in order back to back to back. Also John and Craig finished the night trading verses of Wrecking Ball by Gillian Welch. Craig playing Dennis &a Billy was a stand out too. It was a great show.

Gjpeace and troyplaysbass like this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

holy fuck this setlist

i can't miss this

7. One week until my show. I'm even more excited after seeing that setlist. Part of me hopes it doesn't change at all but I also really want to hear "Heart of the Continent."

8. What an experience seeing him last night. We got "(Hospital Vespers)" instead of "Bigfoot" which was really cool to hear. "One Great City!" has pretty much cemented itself as my favorite song, and finally hearing it live was really emotional and awesome. And of course the Virtute songs were perfect.

A couple other notes:
    "I'm a talk-singing Marxist from Winnipeg" is such a great way for John to introduce himself.
    City Winery is a spectacular venue, and the house music between sets was really good. They played the Dismemberment Plan, the Promise Ring, Sincere Engineer, and a bunch of other great stuff.

T.K. and Zac Djamoos like this.
  9. cwhit

Gonna die tonight

10. cwhit

i'm fucked up rn

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  11. Barcara

Regular

Had to put my cat of twelve years down yesterday. A very sad day, but she had a good long life.

“Let it rest, all you can’t change.
    Let it rest and be done.”

Turkeylegz and loudasallgetout like this.
  12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I am sorry to hear this. It really is the most painful thing. My cat of many years died right before the album and it really hit hard. This album was a place of comfort and strength to me and I hope you're able to find that as well!

I am sure you know, but it really does help to remember all the good times (even if that means balling your eyes out!).

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Tom Lee likes this.
  14. Tom Lee

Regular

15. Barcara

Regular

Holy smokes

I just realized I was at the last Weakerhtans show.
    I mean they didn't at all advertise it as that, they probably didn't know, but according to setlist.fm their last show was X-Fest 2013 in Calgary.

This is so weird for me.

T.K., Turkeylegz and Leftandleaving like this.