Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John K. Samson - Winter Wheat (October 21, 2016) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is a really great interview

Turkeylegz likes this.
  2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I wish everyone could hear the conversations me and my friend have had about what we think Quiz Night at Looky Lous is about

CarpetElf and Turkeylegz like this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

invite me

4. Kennedy

Heh, it's a bud a work with, he's a huge John K fan. We always talk about Weakerthans / John K music and listen to it at work. Talking about Quiz Night was kind of this running joke we had because the song is so crazy, but then eventually we started seriously speculating some crazy stuff. And it's one of those things where we weren't meaning to be serious about some of our interpretations of the song but it's gotten to the point where I've talked about it so much I can't see it any other way haha.

Basically we think the song is about this guy (possibly Virtute's owner) who has this mind super power where he can communicate and control things telepathically. He can control his cat, and he has created this quiz within a quiz to try and find other people with the super power. He goes from bar to bar with his quiz night trying to find people like him but he never does.

I swear it's real.

Barcara and cwhit like this.
  5. Kennedy Jun 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 27, 2017)
    Kennedy

Also - how he got the powers I still don't know what to believe. It has something to do with the falling planes. The falling planes make me think of 911, but I don't know if I believe that.

There was one point where I thought aliens were involved but I'm not sure about that either.

EDIT::: also the cats life and his life could be somehow connected. Virtue dies in this album. I kind of get a sense that his life and the cats life are connected in the song, and I get a sense that the character is dying because he thinks he has found another person with this power and he is going to leave them his quiz material.

EDIT 2: I should mention the alien part of the theory has to do with lines in Alpha Adept about a planet near Oriens Belt where people sing in their minds

Barcara likes this.
  6. Kennedy

lack of discussion after my weird ass theory posts tells me one thing:

you all think im insane now.

Barcara and cwhit like this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

No way, not insane - but this is an album I've read a lot about and have been meaning to check out but I haven't gotten around to it yet. This has made me much more intrigued and I'm gonna give it a listen as soon as I get a chance.

8. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I am just jealous you know someone that into JKS to have that in-depth conversation.

9. Barcara

Regular

Except that you're exactly right.
    First Play: John K. Samson, Winter Wheat plus track-by-track guide

I can't find it now but I was certain there was a second track-by-track that he did, it was slightly different, where he did connect the dots about the aliens and whatnot, but basically you hit the nail on the head. I read the track-by-track while listening originally so there was never a mystery for me, which I feel like I missed out on now haha. Sounds like a fun journey to that realization.

KennedyBN likes this.
  10. Kennedy

This album is just so gorgeous, I love it so much. John has a way with words unlike any other musician I know of. He is such a unique writer.

Listening to this right now actually, and the only other musician / lyricist that I think I listen to that has even close to a similar style is Christian from the Hotelier on Goodness

Turkeylegz and Zac Djamoos like this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

John will probably always be my favorite writer, or at least tied with Geoff Rickly. The way he captures the really poignant moments of mundane every day life is really special.

Zac Djamoos, Turkeylegz and KennedyBN like this.
  12. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

A bit late, but that interview from last page was fantastic. Always nice to hear people you look up to speak so openly about mental health.

Excited to be seeing him for the first time later this month! Hoping for a few Weakerthans cuts.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  13. cwhit

about half the set will be it, get hyped. seeing him this year with @Zac Djamoos was perfection

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

It was so fucking good

Turkeylegz likes this.
  15. Barcara

Regular

John is finally coming to southern Alberta for Calgary Folk Fest at the end of the month after completely skipping it during the initial album tour (despite playing Vancouver, grr), but of course I'm back in Ontario visiting family when he passes through. Of course.

16. Kennedy

ugh. He is finally coming to Edmonton too, but it's part of a festival and the tickets are $130 dollars. There is literally nobody on the bill I want to see other than John. I'm so bummed, I just can't afford to spend $130 on 1 show at this point in my life :((

Barcara likes this.
  17. Barcara

Regular

Us hurtin' Albertans.

KennedyBN likes this.
  18. StormAndTheSun

Edmonton folk fest tickets are 130 bucks? Im going to the Calgary one and did not pay nearly that much.

19. Kennedy

I knew we were in trouble when I saw Vampire Alberta on the track listing for winter wheat hehe

Barcara likes this.
  20. Kennedy

Yeah my buddy is driving down to Calgary to see John K because it's better than spending the 130 in Edmonton.

21. StormAndTheSun

Folk fest was this past weekend and apparently he played Left and Leaving on a day I didnt go. Very sad, but the set I saw was still really great.

22. Barcara

Regular

Checked out the local record shop while at home with the family in Ontario and picked up the vinyl.

First LP is yellow, second is blue with a "Vivat Virtute" and the little cat image etched into Side 4. Very pretty.

I also really enjoy the structuring of this album in a 2XLP. Usually I don't love albums getting that treatment because it requires you to switch it over that much more often, but 15 songs over three sides is great, and the breaks are perfectly timed.

23. cwhit

troyplaysbass and Turkeylegz like this.
  24. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I guess he'll just never come to Ohio. He always is on the best tours too.

25. Woooo I finally get to see him! Wish he was headlining but Craig Finn will be great too, and it's at a spectacular venue.