Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Gruber on the iPhone SE

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Gruber, writing for Daring Fireball, reviews Apple‘s upcoming 4-inch iPhone SE.

For anyone with an iPhone 5S (or older) who has been holding out on an upgrade in the hopes of a new top-tier “small” iPhone, the iPhone SE is cause for celebration. If you are such a person, run, don’t walk, to buy one. You will be delighted.

If you’ve already upgraded to an iPhone 6 or 6S and have made peace with the trade-offs of a larger, heavier, less-grippy-because-of-the-round-edges form factor, the appeal is less clear. Me, I talk the talk about preferring the smaller form factor, but ultimately I’m a sucker for top-of-the-line CPU/GPU performance and camera quality.

If I knew that there would be top of the line updates to this sized phone each year, I think I’d go back to the smaller size, but without knowing for sure, it’s too hard to make that call.

The post John Gruber on the iPhone SE appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller iPhone but then again, I'm not the target audience. the SE makes sense for those holding on to the 5, like my girlfriend who loved her 5s.

3. cryates Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I went and took the huge leap back from a 6+ and couldn't be happier. Seriously, it's amazing. I just hope they keep releasing this size, but only time will tell.

Also, I love John Gruber.

stnewton and Jason Tate like this.
  4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I bought a 5s when the 6 came out because a) it was cheaper and I jumped to 32g, and b) the size. I'm a bigger guy, but anything larger than the 5s feels obnoxious to me.

5. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

One thing I didn't see Gruber bring up is the battery life. It's markedly better for me so far than I remember my 5s being.

6. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Probably will upgrade to the SE from my 5S. Just wish the SE had the faster Touch ID upgrade that the 6S has.

7. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

You'd think so, but as Gruber says in that write-up, it's nice because you can press the home button without it unlocking so fast, if all you want to do is look at the lock screen. Not that I dislike the new Touch ID though. It's incredibly fast.

8. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Yeah I guess that's cool. I have an Apple Watch so I only go to my phone to get into it but I can see that advantage.

stnewton likes this.
  9. Another good point.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Does anyone think losing 3D Touch is a deal breaker? It seems really cool but if I don't know what I'm missing, then that's good I suppose

11. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't use it a ton, so it's not a deal breaker for me, but everybody's different. What isn't a deal breaker for me, may be for you.

12. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

wow, massive leap. glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Chris Yates likes this.
  13. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

Definitely going to jump from my 5s to this

14. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I like that they introduced the 4" back into the lineup, but after owning a Plus, I don't think I could ever go back.

15. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Not a flip phone obviously, but this gif popped into my brain the moment I took it out of the box

[​IMG]

GooberSandwich likes this.
  16. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I have the 6s and I'm perfectly content with it's size. After having used the 4s for two years I definitely appreciate the extra screen space. To me, the 6s and 6s+ sizes are great options enough and I can't imagine needing something smaller/bigger but to each their own.

17. polyfilla

who can never be sure

Interesting. Makes sense... I have a 6 but I wish I had a 6+/6s+. I can't imagine upgrading(?) to a smaller phone.

18. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Torn. As a former Galaxy S4 owner: (currently have an iPhone 5 since the Samsung shattered) I figured I'd end up upgrading to a 6s because I like the screen space. The SE might end up being more cost effective though.

19. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Jason, how does the article discussion subforum work? Is a forum here automatically created every time a news post is made or does someone have to come here and make a thread for a news post they want to open a discussion about?

20. It's made automatically with every new news post on the site.

21. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Very cool! I'm sure you've written about this somewhere but I think that's a really good way to solve some of the issues that come with posts that are toxic/contribute nothing on news articles. If you care enough to read on the home page then go into forums and respond in the corresponding thread you're more likely to contribute something somewhat meaningful. And even if people don't...it's in a separate spot and doesn't detract from the site's home page.

Also - the fact that posts save as drafts while you're composing them is a really nice touch - just caught that.

Anyway, thanks - don't mean to derail the thread.

22. Pretty much my exact thoughts. Well said all around. Smart man.

Yep! (And they work across devices, start writing on mobile, finish on the desktop.)

23. Aj LaGambina

I did not catch that. Excited to try.

24. Aj LaGambina

Jason Tate likes this.