Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Feldmann Discusses Producing Blink-182

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

MusicRadar has an interview with John Feldmann about producing Blink-182’s California that contains quite a bit of information I hadn’t heard before:

To me, the essential Blink sounds are the band’s instruments. Travis has a total custom kit that’s been built from scratch using some vintage parts and some modern parts that him and his tech Daniel built from the ground up. Besides being the best drummer that’s ever lived, his passion for the instrument is key to his sound.

“All of Mark’s basses are custom-built Fender’s made to his specifications. Jerry Finn actually suggested re-routing Mark’s pickups to flip them because of the way Mark plays – he has this really interesting downstroke.

2. Chris Lei

This is just my opinion, but a band's sound is also contributed by vocals. I think Matt did a great job vocally on this record, but w/o Tom's voice, California just didn't have that blink sound for me.

3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Agree with a lot of what he said. I've played drums and bass for most of my life, and so much character, tonally, comes from the player. Mark and Travis definitely have very distinct executions of how they play.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

The couple of actual drummers I know think Travis Barker is way overrated "just because he's flashy."

I've really no idea if their complaints have merit, but I'm always really impressed when I see him go at it. Would like to hear others' opinions on the matter!

5. morte

Regular

Well, he sure is flashy, but he is also one hell of a drummer. I play drums myself and know a lot of drummers, and weather they like his style or not, we all agree there are not a lot of mainstream drummers as good and creative as him.

6. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I have only heard drummers criticize him for "overplaying". I.E. he apparently hits things so much harder than he needs to.

Most recognize that he is crazy talented as far as speed, reach, & coordination are concerned though.

But I am not a drummer, so I have no idea really.