Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Feldman Goes Track-by-Track on ‘California’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Feldmann, who either saved or ruined Blink-182 according to the internet, did a track-by-track breakdown of California with Fuse:

“Sober,” we did with Patrick Stump, who is a good friend of mine. Fall Out Boy supported Blink for many tours. They’re all the oldest friends. I hang out with those guys a lot and he was just kind of here and he had this idea—what could Blink be on modern rock radio in 2016? What does that look like? What does that mean, when there aren’t really live instruments on the radio?

It’s full of little tidbits of information. And typos.

2. efp722

Regular

Looks cool, will def check out.

Weird that there is no official stream yet.

3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

He seems very proud of this record, I can't wait to hear it too

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Making me love the album even more.

I like this "We thought we were going to do an 11-song record and an EP but Travis said "No, we're gonna fucking do this we way we want." I can't argue with the greatest drummer of our time, the legacy that he and his band has. "

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. testtime

Regular

I actually don't like that they wanted songs to sound like certain songs/eras. I would just want them to write the best songs that they can write and say "have at it, people." Not, "lets write a song that sounds like it should be on Enema, TOYP, Neighborhoods." I think that's why I like Los Angeles the most, it's simply a song that they've evolved to.

RJ Knorr, bradsonemanband and morken like this.
  6. Fox83

Trusted

I get why they did this though. They hired Feldmann for a reason. They wanted to be relevant in today's music scene, and they wanted to retain and acquire fan interest with 1/3 of their lineup replaced. I'm sure they wanted this album to sound the way it does.

Dan O'Neill and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Fox83

Trusted

I can agree that Tom certainly had no reservations about alienating fans.

Raku, Essie, hongfong00 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Tom is the one that is ALIENating fans

Raku, David Parke, Essie and 5 others like this.
  9. testtime

Regular

Yeah guys, I made that joke already in the blink thread. STOP GIVING OTHER PEOPLE MY LIKES!!!!!

10. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Love the album more with every listen.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  11. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I believe Tom is actually Alleyuhnnnating the fans.

12. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

He says Brohemian Rhapsody came together in "literally nine minutes" like that should be hard to believe lol

13. johnnyscominglately

funny. the two songs i like the most from the album include stump's input (sober and san diego).

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  14. RiseAgainst379

Regular

"[T]o me, Blink put San Diego on the map. If you think of its geographic location, they're the band that made San Diego relevant as a city. I say that with the utmost respect to San Diego because I was born in San Diego, I grew up in San Diego but no body gave a fuck about San Diego. It was just like a place and suddenly Blink happened and it was like Seattle."

Come on now.

15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, I don't know the history here, but that does sound pretty ridiculous.

16. Jake Z

Regular

I know San Diego had a pretty relevant hardcore scene in the 90's.

FTank likes this.
  17. jeff.dart Jun 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2016)
    jeff.dart

Regular

can't wait to read through this. album is so good. overall it makes me think of what blink might have written had they made a follow up that was more faithful to the sound of toypaj rather than the experimentation of of the self titled, but it's cool to see they were really making an effort to give fans of each era something to love.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  18. jeff.dart

Regular

What he said really resonates with me. San Diego was a major source of pop-punk during the genre's bubble, and Blink always felt like the face of that scene. I definitely thought it was the "cool" place growing up (I live in Portland), and always looked forward to going down there to see one of my best friends in the summer for the warped tour.

Raku likes this.
  19. Jrm303130

He's talking about music I think. When people think of music from San diego they think Blink. I doubt he's saying when you think of San Diego instead of beaches, weather, mexican food, and breweries, you think of Blink. Everyone knew of seattle but no one knew about its music scene until all those grunge bands.

Ivan, Tata Toothy, Raku and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jrm303130

Haha. No sure if what i wrote is correct, just how I interpreted it.

21. StoJa9

Regular

No shit...today I was driving to my girlfriends house and was wondering if "San Diego" was written, at least somewhat, about Tom and their relationship. I just remember reading their interview in Revolver about how Mark and Travis are L.A. guys and Tom was back in San Diego. Listening to the lyrics made me wonder and now reading this pretty much confirms it was. Hmmm...weird coinkydink.

I found myself enjoying the album more in the car. Figure it has to do with just playing it loud! Let 'er rip.

And yeah, that riff on Kings of the Weekend is fucking great.

22. OpenIntro

llama llama

Dear Feldy, thanks for this. NOW PLEASE PUT OUT A NEW GOLDFINGER RECORD. THANKS!

Raku likes this.
  23. Amber

ambsgotback

I know it's Matt Skiba and he can do no wrong in my eyes, but to me, he made the album. It's typical Skiba vocals that I live for. 'San Diego,' 'Cynical,' Are favorites so far, along with 'Home Is A Lonely Place'. I've only listened once but I like it so far.

AshlandATeam and Daniel182 like this.
  24. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

So that's why there's an "Ahhh" on the song lol. Interesting tidbit.