Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Coltrane Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

John William Coltrane, also known as "Trane" (September 23, 1926 – July 17, 1967),[1] was an American jazz saxophonist and composer. Working in the bebop and hard bop idioms early in his career, Coltrane helped pioneer the use of modes in jazz and was later at the forefront of free jazz. He led at least fifty recording sessions during his career, and appeared as a sideman on many albums by other musicians, including trumpeter Miles Davis and pianist Thelonious Monk.

2. Wharf Rat

Reserved. I listened to My Favorite Things walking through the snow in the city last month. So great.

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

His catalog is so big and so adored that even the 5 albums I've heard seems like absolutely nothing. Excited to keep exploring.

4. Wharf Rat

I want you to listen to Ascension even though I know that's not your thing haha.

5. cshadows2887

I did a few months ago. Posted about it on ap. I really did not enjoy it. I did try.

Then I went and listened to My Favorite Things and everything was better.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

oh yeah, I think I remember that convo now. Haha. You'll get there one day. Maybe. Not that it's bad if you don't.

7. cshadows2887

Yeah I'm just not sure that style will ever be for me. I have my moments (I wasn't that bewildered by Shape of Jazz to Come) but as long as I keep an open mind and keep trying to check stuff out, I'll never feel too bad about not being into something.

8. Wharf Rat

Yeah, that's a good mindset. Something about avante-garde clicks with my mind so I never really "progressed" into it, but if you liked Shape of Jazz to Come I'd say keep spending time with that and slowly move on to stuff like Free Jazz and Unit Structures and work your way to your limit with that style.

9. cshadows2887

Yeah I definitely am hoping I find some stuff on the (likely tamer) edges of the style to enjoy over time. I ideally try to find something to like in every genre and era, if I can.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. Horrorca

Trusted

this thread was on the last pag for shame

we all known he is a god, so to add content I'll just say that I just discovered Interstellar Space

omg

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

reading the Ben Ratliff book rn as I have done a major deep dive over the past month and a half

Good book on how influential/innovative his sound was and is

I'm a total jazz novice so the dissection of the "Coltrane changes" and many other techniques he brought to the genre is very illuminating and only helps me love his stuff more and more

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll check that out, John Coltrane is one of the dudes whose stuff always sticks with me

jazz is hard to get into

13. Horrorca

Trusted

was listening to this one last night

some sublime moments

14. I put Coltrane or Miles Davis on at least once a week.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

That's huge. And mercifully it's pre-free jazz.