Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

John Boyega Joins ‘Pacific Rim 2’ Cast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Boyega, of Star Wars fame, has signed on to star in Pacific Rim 2.

“I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox,” Guillermo del Toro added. “The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn’t think of a better man for the job.”

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Haters gonna hate, but I loved the first one! And Boyega to this one makes me even more excited.

beachdude42 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  3. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Stoked. I wanna see him in more stuff. He'll do great.

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

haven't actually heard that much hate for Pacific Rim. a lot of people scoffed at the idea, but it seemed to pull a lot of people to it's side once they saw it.

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Pacific Rim was a nice surprise when I finally saw it. A very fun movie. Excited to see Boyega in the next one.

6. This is the best news. Pacific Rim was the best monster movie in years and with John Boyega I think the franchise could really win over a lot more people.

7. Cool! I thought I'd heard the sequel was being pushed back again. This is good news.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wasn't impressed by Pacific Rim when I saw it minus some scenes. I wish Del Toro would put his energy in better projects..

9. It should have been a Power Rangers movie since it was basically Megazord fighting monsters. I didn't think it was very good at all, actually.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

On the one hand, this amazing news because Charlie Hunnam isn't exactly the best actor and Boyega undoubtedly is a pretty great actor, so the trade is definitely an improvement. On the other hand, I hope he doesn't get pigeonholed because of Star Wars. The guy has serious chops, I hope he takes some non-franchise blockbuster roles to balance out his resume.

Also, at least based on that quote from del Toro, it seems as though he might be allowed to act in his native accent for this one instead of having to fake an American one.

lightning13 likes this.
  11. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

So stoked for Del Toro. Truly hope this one goes forward as planned because his history of having to bail on films is almost as maligned as poor Terry Gilliam.

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Del Toro isn't directing this, Steven S. DeKnight (former showrunner of Netflix's Daredevil) is directing. So, no danger of that happening.

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Awesome!! Thoroughly enjoyed the first Pacific Rim after going in with no expectations, and John is amazing. This should be good.

14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Very awesome casting. Glad this movie is moving forward.

15. Except Power Rangers is silly and Pacific Rim was awesome? I mean, agree to disagree I guess. I've had a ton of fun both times I watched it, which was exactly what I wanted.

16. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Yeah, I know. But this is like his baby, and I mostly meant that I hope it comes to fruition with him still attached in some way.

17. thevheissu

that's not how the force works Prestigious

This is fantastic news. Loved the first one.

18. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Meh. The first one
    Oh nice, maybe this one will have some tension.

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Pacific Rim isn't silly? Come on, now.

20. Okay, I correct silly to childish for Power Rangers. Or laughable. Either way, PR uses it's ridiculousness for high quality action entertainment and Power Rangers floats by on pure nostalgia.

This is a dumb argument but I feel committed to my opinion haha

21. Damien Davies Jun 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2016)
    Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I heard this one will lead into a Godzilla crossover, I also heard that this sequel was supposed to be a crossover with Godzilla, but they couldn't decide on the script or something. I'm sure someone else in here knows more than I do..

Regardless! I really liked the first one, and I'm excited to see what they follow it up with.

22. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I'm down to see it as long as Charlie Day is on board. He basically stole the show in the first movie.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Oh I would hate that... this sequel sounds even less appetizing now hah